OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:40:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MY saint is Better than you all  (Read 2606 times) Average Rating: 0
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« on: April 13, 2004, 12:36:31 AM »

My  saint  is  better  than  all you  alls

NULL
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »

Would that be the Martyred Nun and Royal Martyr Elizabeth? or St. Helena the finder of hte True Cross and mother of St. Constantine? or both? or someone else?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:50:49 AM »

Nope Mine  are  Elizabeth- John the  Baptist's Momma  and Helen - Constines Momma.

NULL
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:00:19 AM »

eh, I like the martyred nun Elizabeth better Wink

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:06:41 AM »

Hey  me  too  We  have  a big  Icon  of  the Martyr Elizabeth  in our  Narthex.

NULL
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »

cool beans.

I should clarify that I am overly biased towards the Royal Martyrs of Russia in particular and the New Martyrs in general.  I find them so very inspiring and tangible considering all of them have been martyred within the last 100 years.

Joe Zollars

Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »

There isn't a saint Lauren, so at my Chrismation, I chose the Theotokos.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 01:52:53 AM »

Lauren is close enough to Lawrence that you could have taken him, but I won't quibble with your chose of the Theotokos as a patron.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:45 AM »

There isn't a saint Lauren. . .

According to this source, there is one St Laura, twenty-five Sts Laurences, two Sts Laurentinuses, one St Laurian, three Lauruses and one St Lawrence, but indeed, no Lauren. Wink
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »

Laurent is a French variant of the male name Laurence. The female name Lauren is derived from Laurent, as well as being a variant of Laura. It is quite permissible in Greek tradition for a woman to be named after a male saint, so Lauren-Elisse could have taken as her patron saint one of the saints called Laurence, or St Laura.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »

That might depend on the jurisdiction and/or bishop.  I know that my last bishop was totally against females having male patron saints.  He said that with all the women saints there are in the Church, it should be possible to find one to make your (or your daughter's) patron saint.  I don't know how my current bishop feels about this--maybe I will ask him when he comes to visit our parish next month.  He usually gives us lots of opportunities to talk to him one on one, so maybe I will ask him.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:09:03 AM by katherine 2001 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

Someone on here told me that you are not allowed to take the Theotokos as a patron.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »

But my saint has more complicated name than your saints have. St. Januarius, pray for us!

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

Someone on here told me that you are not allowed to take the Theotokos as a patron.

This is true for Slavic tradition; it is quite OK in Greek tradition to have the Mother of God as one's patron.

That might depend on the jurisdiction and/or bishop.  I know that my last bishop was totally against females having male patron saints.  He said that with all the women saints there are in the Church, it should be possible to find one to make your (or your daughter's) patron saint.  I don't know how my current bishop feels about this--maybe I will ask him when he comes to visit our parish next month.  He usually gives us lots of opportunities to talk to him one on one, so maybe I will ask him.

I did mention, Katherine, in my post that Greek tradition allows for patron saints of the opposite sex to be chosen. According to Lauren-Elisse's profile, she is under the Greek church.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »

Laurent is a French variant of the male name Laurence. The female name Lauren is derived from Laurent, as well as being a variant of Laura. It is quite permissible in Greek tradition for a woman to be named after a male saint, so Lauren-Elisse could have taken as her patron saint one of the saints called Laurence, or St Laura.
I believe, if I am not mistaken, that all of these are variants also of the name Lazarus, of whom there are a great many as well.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »

As already mentioned, definitely allowed in the various ancient patriarchates and the Church of Greece. In popular speech, the Theotokos is called the "Panagia" (All-Holy), and there are many women named Panagiota, and probably even more men named Panagiotis (or Panos, which is the diminutive).

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »

In addition to what others have said, there are many women who are named Maria and who celebrate any one of the Theotokos' feastdays - I know of a few who celebrate Sept 8 (her nativity), and a few who celebrate Mar 25 (including one whose name is an ancient Greek name for 'God's Flower' and celebrates Mar 25 - Panagia the "Unfading Rose"), in addition to the majority who celebrate Aug 15.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »

You're more right than you know. My patron saint, Justin Popovich, isn't even officially a saint yet! And he was my patron 8+ years ago. What's the hold up? Everything in Orthodoxy takes s o o o o   l o n g g g g!  angel I'm about to order an icon of him later today, though, so at least some progress has been made.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »

I believe, if I am not mistaken, that all of these are variants also of the name Lazarus, of whom there are a great many as well.

No, this is not correct. Lazarus is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Eleazar.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »

No, this is not correct. Lazarus is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Eleazar.
I see. In which case, the feminine French of Eleazar is Elisse--so that works anyway!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »

You're more right than you know. My patron saint, Justin Popovich, isn't even officially a saint yet! And he was my patron 8+ years ago. What's the hold up? Everything in Orthodoxy takes s o o o o   l o n g g g g!  angel I'm about to order an icon of him later today, though, so at least some progress has been made.

Asstricktosh, Justin Popovich was glorified not long after you made this post, congrats! Smiley

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: