OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Newbie  (Read 2908 times) Average Rating: 0
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

Happy New(ish) year to you too. On the old calendar it's only the 6th of January after all Smiley

My goddaughter was received a few months ago in your church and as I recall there was no ceremony for her when she originally decided to become a catechumen and I don't think I've seen/heard of one for anyone else either. You just keep going to the classes until you feel ready to make the commitment.

Best wishes,
Margaret

There's not a ceremony, but there are prayers for the person entering the Catechumenate.  I've seen them done at the entrance to the church just before Liturgy begins (myself and my goddaughter) and I've also seen them done after a meeting with the priest during the week (my kids).

Perhaps other parishes/jurisdictions do it differently but that has been my experience. 

Oh I didn't mean to imply a general rule - I guess I'm not being very clear. I actually go to to the church Brass Monkey is talking about so I was making a very specific statement as to what happens there (or doesn't happen).

Regards,
Margaret

okay- sorry I misunderstood.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

Otoh, when San Francisco, California had the terrible earthquake in 1906 and an Episcopal church was destroyed Bishop Tikhon, as I recall, gave them a chalice and paten so that they could have communion. They are still preserved as heirlooms.  I'll try and find the references to that if you're interested.

Ebor

When I was at this church a while back, I remember being told that they had some sort of relics of Patriarch Tikhon.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »

Otoh, when San Francisco, California had the terrible earthquake in 1906 and an Episcopal church was destroyed Bishop Tikhon, as I recall, gave them a chalice and paten so that they could have communion. They are still preserved as heirlooms.  I'll try and find the references to that if you're interested.

Ebor

When I was at this church a while back, I remember being told that they had some sort of relics of Patriarch Tikhon.

Those would be the relics, I suspect.  Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: