OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:10:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to consider Roman Catholics  (Read 7746 times) Average Rating: 0
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear on more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes

As soon as EOs give lying about what we believe a rest.  Smiley

The Roman Catholics have this peculiar idea that others do not understand them,... But the Roman Catholic Church spends multi millions of dollars trying to communicate its faith and convert people.  It prints thousands of books every year on every imaginable Roman Catholic topic.

Is this really all a colossal failure? a colossal waste of money?   Really , dear Catholic brothers and sisters, if you cannot communicate your faith clearly, then whose fault is that?
Your fault for being dishonest.

Oh my!  A public attack on an priest!  Thank the Lord we are not on a Catholic forum where such attacks merit scoldings from other participants....
Martyr Syndrome.

You're the one who is incessantly self-victimizing (along with plenty of other Catholic posters here), and you're accusing him of a martyr complex?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear on more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes

The Roman Catholics have this peculiar idea that others do not understand them,... But the Roman Catholic Church spends multi millions of dollars trying to communicate its faith and convert people.  It prints thousands of books every year on every imaginable Roman Catholic topic.

Is this really all a colossal failure? a colossal waste of money?   Really , dear Catholic brothers and sisters, if you cannot communicate your faith clearly, then whose fault is that?

Oh my!  A public attack on an priest!  Thank the Lord we are not on a Catholic forum where such attacks merit scoldings from other participants....
Martyr Syndrome.

You're the one who is incessantly self-victimizing (along with plenty of other Catholic posters here), and you're accusing him of a martyr complex?
Where? I have never called for a rule banning the insults of EOs agains the Christ's Church.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »

Martyr Syndrome.

Where? I have never called for a rule banning the insults of EOs agains the Christ's Church.

Do you remember the days on CAF when the Orthodox were forbidden to use the term "Catholic" in reference to their Church and those who did were banned?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear one more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes

Ditto!

Well, maybe if you all came back to the Church, then you wouldn't be experiencing the psychological dissonance that is making you feel so ill.
You mean the Vatican's apologetics?
A hill in Rome has apologetics?
Sure. Even has its own official website:
http://www.vatican.va/
Oh you meant the City-State of the Vatican. Yeah, it has a website and such. I am wondering though, if rather than Vatican Apologetics, you are talking about Catholic Apologetics. I have seen many books on Catholic apologetics, such as:

But very few apologetics for the Vatican City State. Maybe what you are saying is that Vatican often produces Catholic apologetics?

You're doing it again.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear one more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes

Ditto!

Well, maybe if you all came back to the Church, then you wouldn't be experiencing the psychological dissonance that is making you feel so ill.
Oh you meant the City-State of the Vatican. Yeah, it has a website and such. I am wondering though, if rather than Vatican Apologetics, you are talking about Catholic Apologetics. I have seen many books on Catholic apologetics, such as:

But very few apologetics for the Vatican City State. Maybe what you are saying is that Vatican often produces Catholic apologetics?
http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism_lt/index_lt.htm
Not really apologetics. Though, if it were it would be Catholic apologetics and not Vatican apologetics.
The Vatican is a sovereign state, so it is impossible to sue it for copyright infringement. As for Catholic apologetics in the form of a catechism:
http://en.hilarion.orthodoxia.org/5_1
http://www.pravoslavieto.com/docs/eng/Orthodox_Catechism_of_Philaret.htm
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_1.htm
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_2.htm
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/law_of_god_slobodskoy_3.htm

St. Peter Movila's Orthodox Confession of the Catholic Church of the East isn't available in English anymore that I have seen.
Oh, I think you are confused. You links you have provided are not Catholic apologetics. They are Eastern Orthodox apologetics.

Roll Eyes

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

Ditto!

Not really apologetics. Though, if it were it would be Catholic apologetics and not Vatican apologetics.
The Vatican is a sovereign state, so it is impossible to sue it for copyright infringement. As for Catholic apologetics in the form of a catechism:

St. Peter Movila's Orthodox Confession of the Catholic Church of the East isn't available in English anymore that I have seen.
Oh, I think you are confused. You links you have provided are not Catholic apologetics. They are Eastern Orthodox apologetics.
And yet more admission of your confusion Papist.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

Certainly, no one here is being dishonest. Especially you. Only debating/arguing how we understand/see things.
Well, we see A, then B, we understand C comes next.  If you all understand 5 comes next, well, not much we can see eye to eye on that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »

This 'discussion' (I use the term loosely since this sub-forum is entitled " Orthodox-Catholic Discussion" is really embarrassing to me as a Christian. Perhaps my reply isn't OC ('OC' being an acronym, akin to 'PC', short for 'orthodox correct'), but I regard Roman Catholics as my friends, brothers, sisters and neighbors and, like me, sinners on the path to God through this life. As to their Church, I regard it with both personal affection and profound sadness as I view it as not being part of the undivided body of Christ and her Church which I believe is present in this earth in the body of our Orthodox Faith.  and...I pray for the day that we may all be as one in the fullness of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Anyone  not Roman Catholic or Orthodox who might stumble upon this 'discussion' would surely run for the hills.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »

I only ever offer obedience to legitimate authority and only then in all things but sin.
You're quite obedient to a supreme pontiff in schism/heresy, and obedient to the particulars of his heresy.

I do not think that the Orthodox Church has the legitimate authority to so poorly and falsely portray the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Yes, it's the mirror.

I am sure you would find that you have the same response to Catholics who warp and twist Orthodoxy.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Eastern_Orthodoxy.asp
or
The document considers above all the reality of the oriental Churches not in full communion with the Catholic Church and, making reference to various conciliar texts, gives them the title “particular or local Churches” and calls them sister Churches of the particular Catholic Churches because they remain united to the Catholic Church through the apostolic succession and the valid celebration of the Eucharist “through which the Church of God is built up and grows in stature.11] It will, therefore, remain necessary to emphasise that the Primacy of the Successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome, is not seen as something extraneous or merely concurrent with that of Bishops of particular Churches. Rather it must be exercised in service to the unity of the faith and of communion within the limits that proceed from divine law and from the divine and inviolable constitution of the Church contained in revelation.[12]
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070629_commento-responsa_en.html

I've tested that out here, so I should know.

Anyone more credible?

There is such a thing as fairness even in religious discussions however informal.
Callingn a spade a spade is quite fair.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »

The sad thing is, this thread wasn't even started by the OP, so all this discussion probably would have been avoided if the post was left in it's original context...(although I'm sure these sentiments would eventually surface later) Cry
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

I am sure you would find that you have the same response to Catholics who warp and twist Orthodoxy.  I've tested that out here, so I should know.

Interesting comment from someone who has spent much time and effort in trying to convince us Orthodox that the Immaculate Conception of Mary is consistent with Orthodox teaching. Please, EM, don't embarrass yourself further.  angel Kiss
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »

Ditto!

He's not really confused. He's just pretending to be confused to mess with us.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »

Well, now we're gonna mess with him! Grin laugh

I declare nine days of prayer for the Papist! 
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »

Well, now we're gonna mess with him! Grin laugh

I declare nine days of prayer for the Papist! 
I will pray for you to St. Thomas Aquinas, Albertus Magnus, and Blessed John Duns Scotus for nine days.  Grin

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

I am only confused by the rabbit hole that is your thinking Isa.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »

What an uncharitable accusation.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »

All right, Papist, as a fellow Vaticanist I'm going to challenge you.

Why would a Papist have a problem being affiliated with the Vatican?

I have had my disagreements with my mother the Roman church, but with all her flaws, she's still my mother and I love her.  And the Vatican she rode in on.

So there. Tongue Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »

I would be truly shocked if you were being honest about not understanding Isa's "Vatican" language and my "Romanist" language.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »

All right, Papist, as a fellow Vaticanist I'm going to challenge you.

Why would a Papist have a problem being affiliated with the Vatican?

I have had my disagreements with my mother the Roman church, but with all her flaws, she's still my mother and I love her.  And the Vatican she rode in on.

So there. Tongue Wink
I don't know of any Church called "The Vatican". That's all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:54:13 PM by Papist » Logged

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2010, 07:55:28 PM »

Yeah, but since he's gonna do it anyway, why not claim it with pride?  "Nyah nyah, we're not only the true Church but we also have a whole country in Italy, with grrat cappucino and wine and stuff! Yay for us!"  Like that. Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »

I would be truly shocked if you were being honest about not understanding Isa's "Vatican" language and my "Romanist" language.
So the Romanists are the Vatican? I guess that makes sense. The Vatican is in Rome, and people who are citizens of the Vatican could conceivably be called the Romanists. In the future when you refer to "Romanists" I will know that you are talking about people who live in the Vatican. Thank you for clearing that up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:58:09 PM by Papist » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »

Yeah, but since he's gonna do it anyway, why not claim it with pride?  "Nyah nyah, we're not only the true Church but we also have a whole country in Italy, with grrat cappucino and wine and stuff! Yay for us!"  Like that. Cheesy
LOL. I mean, I suppose they are jealous of our City State. Who knows.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

Roll Eyes

Need a hug?  Cheesy

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »

No. The only thing that would change my attitude is if you stopped playing dumb.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »

Martyr Syndrome.

Do you remember the days on CAF when the Orthodox were forbidden to use the term "Catholic" in reference to their Church and those who did were banned?
I do remember.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »

No. The only thing that would change my attitude is if you stopped playing dumb.
What about two hugs?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »

Don't forget the museums.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »

We've been over this only a few days ago, you know.

The use of "The Vatican" is a perfectly normal manner of expression in the English language.

It is called metonymy.  Look it up.

So we say...

Buckingham Palace announces...

The White Hourse has decided...

10 Downing Street has announced...

The Phanar has said.....

laugh
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »

The use of "The Vatican" is a perfectly normal manner of expression in the English language.

It is called metonymy.  Look it up.

So we say...

The Phanar has said.....

laugh

You forgot the Kremlin! ...and Wall Street!!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:17:03 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »

Is that the White Hourse of the Apocalypse? Wink

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

So we say...

The Phanar has said.....

laugh
Is the Greek Orthodox Church The Phanar?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »

So we say...

The Phanar has said.....

laugh
In many ways, yes. But then do you know that the Greek Orthodox Church is?

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »

This 'discussion' (I use the term loosely since this sub-forum is entitled " Orthodox-Catholic Discussion" is really embarrassing to me as a Christian. Perhaps my reply isn't OC ('OC' being an acronym, akin to 'PC', short for 'orthodox correct'), but I regard Roman Catholics as my friends, brothers, sisters and neighbors and, like me, sinners on the path to God through this life. As to their Church, I regard it with both personal affection and profound sadness as I view it as not being part of the undivided body of Christ and her Church which I believe is present in this earth in the body of our Orthodox Faith.  and...I pray for the day that we may all be as one in the fullness of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Anyone  not Roman Catholic or Orthodox who might stumble upon this 'discussion' would surely run for the hills.

Thank you so much for saying this.  I'd say more, but.... Cool

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »

See...I wouldn't refer to the Greek Orthodox Church as "The Phanar" either, just as I would not refer to my own Church (or appreciate anyone else referring to it) as "The Vatican." To me, both of those terms are wrong and inaccurate. The Phanar is not the entire Greek Orthodox Church just as the Vatican is not the entire [Roman] Catholic Church.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2010, 12:24:56 AM »

How to consider Roman Catholics... Is it okay if I don't consider them at all? Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:37:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2010, 12:35:36 AM »

How to consider the Roman Catholics... Is it okay if I don't consider them at all? Wink
Better still.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2010, 12:47:29 AM »

Hey, it wasn't one of us RC's  who asked the question in the first place.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »

As to their Church, I regard it with both personal affection and profound sadness as I view it as not being part of the undivided body of Christ and her Church which I believe is present in this earth in the body of our Orthodox Faith. 

I wonder if you are not being a little harsh there, Podkarpatska.  Smiley

We all remember that Pope Benedict XIV issued a Statement in which he said that the Orthodox Church, although a "true" Church, suffers from defects.  Moscow praised this document for its honesty and how could it do otherwise since we ourselves hold the same view of Roman Catholicism, namely that it is defective.  So I think that for us the ecumenical dialogue means "speaking the truth in love" so that a process of healing may begin in the Western Churches.

Here are a few words from the recently glorified Saint Philaret, Metropolitan of Moscow and Primate of the Russian Church.  He could almost be seen as holding a "two lung" image of the Church since he see Catholicism as the ailing other half of Christianity.

You expect now that I should give judgement concerning the other half of present Christianity,'
the Metropolitan said in the concluding conversation, 'but I just simply look upon them; in part
I see how the Head and Lord of the Church heals the many deep wounds of the old serpent in
all the parts and limbs of his Body, applying now gentle, now strong, remedies, even fire and iron,
in order to soften hardness, to draw out poison, to clean wounds, to separate out malignant
growths, to restore spirit and life in the numbed and half-dead members. In this way I attest
my faith that, in the end, the power of God will triumph openly over human weakness, good
over evil, unity over division, life over death'
(ibid., p.135).

These statements of Metropolitan Saint Philaret are a beginning only. Not everything in them is clearly and fully expressed. But the question is truly put. There are many bonds, still not broken, whereby the schisms are held together in a certain unity with the Church. The whole of our attention and our will must be concentrated and directed towards removing the stubbornness of dissension. 'We seek not conquest,' says St Gregory of Nazianzen, 'but the return of our brethren, whose separation from us is tearing us apart.'

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/limits_church.htm
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2010, 12:55:52 AM »

You do realize I was just being facetious? Wink
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2010, 01:03:07 AM »

How to consider Roman Catholics... Is it okay if I don't consider them at all? Wink

I love them!   Our best soprano in the choir is a Roman Catholic and, until recently our best bass.  The Lebanese Catholic lady who runs Martha's Pantry round the corner feeds me once a week and so do the sisters from the Home of Compassion.  The Roman Catholic school teacher who makes her car available when needed.  The nuns who pulled someone back from a serious illness when I asked their prayers.  Of course there are a few annoying ones - the man who turns up at Liturgy and hands out the Miraculous Medal and tries to proselytise our people.  Smiley  But on the whole, a great bunch of people.  God bless them.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

I have found, to my detriment and not a few green spots, that Americans don't always pick up on facetiousness or irony.   laugh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2010, 03:36:37 AM »

I have found, to my detriment and not a few green spots, that Americans don't always pick up on facetiousness or irony.   laugh
That's what smileys are for. Grin
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »

As to their Church, I regard it with both personal affection and profound sadness as I view it as not being part of the undivided body of Christ and her Church which I believe is present in this earth in the body of our Orthodox Faith. 

I wonder if you are not being a little harsh there, Podkarpatska.  Smiley

We all remember that Pope Benedict XIV issued a Statement in which he said that the Orthodox Church, although a "true" Church, suffers from defects.  Moscow praised this document for its honesty and how could it do otherwise since we ourselves hold the same view of Roman Catholicism, namely that it is defective.  So I think that for us the ecumenical dialogue means "speaking the truth in love" so that a process of healing may begin in the Western Churches.

Here are a few words from the recently glorified Saint Philaret, Metropolitan of Moscow and Primate of the Russian Church.  He could almost be seen as holding a "two lung" image of the Church since he see Catholicism as the ailing other half of Christianity.

You expect now that I should give judgement concerning the other half of present Christianity,'
the Metropolitan said in the concluding conversation, 'but I just simply look upon them; in part
I see how the Head and Lord of the Church heals the many deep wounds of the old serpent in
all the parts and limbs of his Body, applying now gentle, now strong, remedies, even fire and iron,
in order to soften hardness, to draw out poison, to clean wounds, to separate out malignant
growths, to restore spirit and life in the numbed and half-dead members. In this way I attest
my faith that, in the end, the power of God will triumph openly over human weakness, good
over evil, unity over division, life over death'
(ibid., p.135).

These statements of Metropolitan Saint Philaret are a beginning only. Not everything in them is clearly and fully expressed. But the question is truly put. There are many bonds, still not broken, whereby the schisms are held together in a certain unity with the Church. The whole of our attention and our will must be concentrated and directed towards removing the stubbornness of dissension. 'We seek not conquest,' says St Gregory of Nazianzen, 'but the return of our brethren, whose separation from us is tearing us apart.'

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/limits_church.htm

Thank you Father. I concur with the sentiments of St. Philaret . I was a tad harsh in my choice of words as upon re-reading them, I see that they don't really follow overall thoughts on the subject.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: