OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:52:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you worship God?  (Read 1872 times) Average Rating: 0
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« on: April 12, 2004, 05:47:27 PM »

Might seem like a ridiculous question to some... but why do you worship God? In 20 words or less, I'd like to know.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 11:45:49 PM »

what happens if we go over 20 words?

I think worshipping God is as crucial to life as eating and drinking.  Father Alexander Schmemann wrote than man should be called "homo adorans" (instead of "homo sapiens") to reflect our worshipping ("adorans") nature.  We would never deprive ourselves voluntarily of food or water.  Why deprive ourselves of the worship of God -- a crucial element of life?  (My opinion is that many people have a gross misconception of God caused by various heresies throughout the years, but that's another story altogether.....)

Well more than 20 words.  Flay me alive if you will!

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 03:20:36 AM »

Christ is Risen!  Christos Anesti!

One possible etymology for the word "anthropos", the Greek word for "man" or more properly "human", derives from a phrase meaning "able to lift his eyes up". So it is in the nature of man to worship God.

I worship God for the reasons given in Revelation 4:11 Smiley

John.
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 04:34:02 AM »

God provides for us and saves souls. I don't want to 1) be an ingrate 2) go to hell.

NULL
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 08:55:40 AM »

I tried not giving thanks; not appreciating life, family, friends; not caring about my actions; not loving people as we are called to love one another...not that I'm perfect at these now, but didn't bother trying before.  That's no way to live.

(20 words is surprisingly little!)

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 09:45:53 AM »

I worship God because He loves me.

And, man, am I glad!

It sure feels good, too.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 10:04:21 AM »

Because God is who God is, I am who I am, and realizing I am who I am I see my ever-growing need for God as God is.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 10:05:52 AM »

Two reasons, probably typical of most worshippers: for His own sake, out of love, and the reverential fear of God, based on attritio, fear of hell - fire insurance!

The traditional RC act of contrition covers both these reasons: O my God, I am heartily sorry for all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell (fire insurance, the second reason) but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all-good and worthy of all my love (the first and better reason).

I've read on boards, maybe including this one, that the ideal of prayer and worship in the Orthodox tradition (true of western Catholicism as well) is this higher reason, not asking God for anything but simply worshipping Him because He is and we were made to do so.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 10:21:50 AM by Serge » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 08:18:43 PM »

Christ is Risen! Truly he is Risen!

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 10:36:04 PM »

I worship God because His love is the reason I am here. There is no way to repay that debt. Whatever love my heart can manage, which is severely limited in comparison to His, I plan on using to attempt to repay that debt.

Hmm 44 words...I knew 20 wouldn't cut it. Smiley

OH I just had a grammar revelation, and I thought I'd share. As an English major, I have grappled with whether to use the capitalized pronoun or keep it lowercase, when referring to God. I recently decided on lowercase, since many bibles use lowercase. However, I just realized as I responded above, that the pronoun for myself ("I") is perpetually capitalized, for practical reasons among others. But if I (supposedly) deserve the respect of having my own personal pronoun capitalized, the nature of my response above dictates that God deserves above and beyond that...and the least I can do is reach for the shift key for Him. Wink And since I can't use "i" for me because it breaks one of the strongest rules of grammar (even though e.e. cummings gets away with it Wink), I will simply have to change my personal view (which wasn't very strong to begin with) and start using the capital "H."

LOL Forgive my English grammar geek moment there, but it was inspired by my response to the thread. Smiley

hmmmm...
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 03:23:44 PM »

I dont understand why anyone would not want to worship their creator.  

JoeS     Cool
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: