OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:11:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Year Old - Franciscan University  (Read 2714 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: December 06, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »

I pass this on:

Please pray for a 20 year old named Meghan who was trying to leave campus today in her car but was struck viciously in an auto accident on University Blvd. just opposite the new entrance sign. She was pronounced dead at the scene, revived and is now in critical condition at a hospital in Pittsburgh. Everyone's prayers will help.

Thank you. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:25 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:21 PM »

Lord have mercy!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »

Lord Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »

THis is the only child of Al and Alberta Green.  Most Orthodox know Al who is a prolific poster to Orthodox e-lists anmd our prayers are being joined to probably 100s of Orthodox on the Net who are aghast at this news.

Pray also for Al and his wife who are 400 miles from the hospital but are determined to drive to their daughter despite absolutely atrocious driving conditions.

Lord have mercy.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:54 AM »

Prayers for Meghan's full recovery, that God restore her to the loving arms of her family, and that He grant her many years.

Prayers, too, for our brother, Al, and his wife, that their travel be safe.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:51:47 AM »

Kyrie eleison!

Do keep us posted on her condition!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Blessed Mother, keep Meghan in your loving protection, and pray for the health of her body and soul.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

I am sitting here like an old fool, crying.  Was this the outcome of all our prayers and divine intervention? 

Thanks to the Orthodox cybersphere which flashed this tragedy around the world in minutes there must have been a tsunami of prayer arriving at the gates of heaven.    God grant her a full recovery.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/07/AR2010120702178.html

Woman declared dead in Ohio crash is revived

The Associated Press
Tuesday, December 7, 2010; 10:37 AM

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio -- A woman thought to have been killed in an Ohio
car crash was revived, forcing police to rush to reach her family in
Pennsylvania before a priest could deliver the bad news.

Emergency crews had said 20-year-old Meghan Green was killed Monday
when her car collided with a pickup truck in Steubenville in eastern
Ohio. Police Chief Bill McCafferty called the family's parish priest
near Scranton, Pa., and asked him to notify her family.

WTOV-TV reports that police learned minutes later that Green had been
revived. The chief says he then rushed to call the woman's father to
fill him in before the priest arrived at the home.

Police say Green was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital in critical condition.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:27:45 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:01:50 PM »

I am sitting here like an old fool, crying.  Was this the outcome of all our prayers and divine intervention? 

Thanks to the Orthodox cybersphere which flashed this tragedy around the world in minutes there must have been a tsunami of prayer arriving at the gates of heaven.    God grant her a full recovery.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/07/AR2010120702178.html

The Associated Press

I believe this happened long before you first posted the news from Al Green.  The last we really knew was that she'd been transferred to a trauma center and was in very precarious condition.  I don't know what the status is now, though I hope to God that she lives.

M.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »

My brother has been in touch with Al who is from our city and there has been an Orthodox priest, who is a dear friend of ours, from Pittsburgh who was kind enough to travel to Ohio to be with the Green family. I do not feel comfortable posting any of the information which has been shared with me except to say that Al is holding on as well as one could expect and that the status of his child was grave. Please remember all of them in your prayers. Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:16:48 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »

Continued prayers.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »

I am sitting here like an old fool, crying.  Was this the outcome of all our prayers and divine intervention? 

The Associated Press

I believe this happened long before you first posted the news from Al Green.

I am one of the muddleheaded Christians who believe that God works both forwards and backwards with our prayers so the timing doesn't matter.  I have no doubt that the tsunami of prayers raised by Al Green's multitude of Internet acquaintances had a part to play in her revival.  I think that it is important to say this, here on the prayer forum ~  prayer *is* answered.  Glory to God!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »

I am one of the muddleheaded Christians who believe that God works both forwards and backwards with our prayers so the timing doesn't matter.  I have no doubt that the tsunami of prayers raised by Al Green's multitude of Internet acquaintances had a part to play in her revival.  I think that it is important to say this, here on the prayer forum ~  prayer *is* answered.  Glory to God!

I agree most heartedly with my dear friend and brother, Father Ambrose.

And, as another Eastern Catholic member of this on-line community, I would suggest that - instead of analyzing the timeline of events involved between news of Meghan's accident coming to the prayerful attention of this and other on-line Eastern communities and her resuscitation from apparent death - Mary's posting would have been better spent on expression of prayer for the young woman whose life still hangs tenously in the balance.

Continued prayers for Meghan's well-being and recovery and for the comforting of Al and his wife in this time of crisis that is the fear of both every parent and everyone who loves another human being.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »

As of this morning, the situation was still grim. Lord, have mercy. May the Blessed Mother comfort the Green family and protect them with her Holy Mantle during their times of sorrow and pain.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »

Latest Facebook post by Al Green.

Alfred Green ‎***Thank you all for your prayers and best wishes. The outpouring has been overwhelming, anmd I could not possibly respond to everyone, so please pass my thanks along to the various forums and chat groups to which you belong.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:03 AM »

Al has been reporting Meghan's condition on his facebook page and has given permission for the info to be posted to forums and e-groups that are offering prayers for her. The following is a synopsis of her current condition.

Meghan's body temperature was artificially lowered and she has been in an induced coma to allow her brain to stabilize and to try and control seizures. She has suffered brain damage from both the trauma of the accident and the loss of oxygen during the period prior to resuscitation. The extent of this is, as yet, undetermined.

Doctors have begun to slowly warm her and, so far, there has been no recurrence of the seizures. They hope to soon be able to perform scans and assess brain activity. On Monday, they'll begin to cut back medications to permit that to be better accomplished.

An arm fracture will be set on Monday. She also suffered broken vertebrae in her neck, but there is no word, as yet, when or what will be done in that regard. Her condition remains very grave and it is still uncertain what the outcome will be. An OCA priest and a priest from ACROD have both visited and administered the anointing for the gravely ill.

As a parent, I can imagine the fears that Al and Alberta are facing in these circumstances - that Meghan is their only child must intensify the emotional distress beyond all measure. Please keep this beautiful young girl in your prayers.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »

Al reports that they are not hopeful of recovery. He describes the brain damage that Meghan suffered as very severe.

Lord, give peace to Your handmaiden, the child Meghan, and to her loving parents.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »

I do not want to raise false hopes but let me pass on a true story in my family.  Twenty seven years ago, my youngest brother Frank (Raphael in Orthodoxy) was hit by two cars.  He only survived because there was a police car travelling behind the second car and the police lifted the car off him and lifted his head off the metallic fire hydrant square lid in the middle of the road.  It had shattered his skull and pierced his brain and even today he has a hole in his skull covered only by skin and not by bone.  The metal plate they inserted had to be removed eventually.

I drove to see him in the middle of the night and when I saw the shocking mess of his entire body, for example a broken leg bone in the open air working in and out of his body, I prayed for him to die. And his head more than the size of a football so that he was unrecognisable and the doctors said his brain had been compressed so far into the back of his skull and into his spine that even if he survived he would be nothing but a vegetable.

He was in a coma for 6 weeks. My mother and brother and I kept a 24 hour vigil with him for all those six weeks of coma.  We prayed and we drank enormous amounts of tea and the awful hospital food became part of our life.  After six weeks he regained semi-consciousness in a funny sort of way.  He had always been good with numbers and for the next 4 weeks he gabbled senseless things about numbers.  We wondered if even if he lived he would be a lunatic forever.   Slowly after many operations he recovered... and today he is still not 100% but he has a fairly regular life.

We learnt afterwards from a Greek friend who worked in the psych ward that the doctors wanted to turn of all his machines and let him die.  But they didn't - because they witnessed the fierce love with which we surrounded him day and night week after week.  We also heard, later, that they thought we belonged to some weird sect of crazies -this was because I always wore my cassock.

And so, against all the odds and all the professional prognoses, Frank's brain and his body recovered.  He was kept in the hospital for five months and of course he has many of the disabilities associated with head injury patients.  But all the same he has a good quality of life.

Well, I don't know if this will happen with Meghan but I won't give up praying.  Please let none of us give up praying.

Fr Ambrose
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »

Lord Jesus, Have mercy on Meghan!  Please continually remember her in your great love!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »

My brother spoke with Al yesterday evening and he told  our congregation this morning about the terrible tragedy. As Father said in his homily this morning, the situation is dire and he asked all in the congregation to keep the Green family in their prayers. Lord, have mercy.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »

Lord, have mercy upon Thy handmaid Meghan and her family and friends.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 02:39:36 AM »

Doctors are slowly weaning meds, hoping to avoid any further swelling of the brain and it has become apparent that Meghan has suffered several small strokes. However, on a guardedly positive note, the Chief of Neurology believes that there still remains hope.

Prayers continue for Meghan and her family.

StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:46 AM »

You were chosen as a disciple for your firmness of mind:
    An unshakable pillar of the Church of Christ,
    You proclaimed His word to the Gentiles,
    Telling them to believe in one Godhead.
    You were glorified by Him, receiving the grace of healing,
    Healing the ills of all who came to you,
    O most praised Apostle Jude!

(St. Jude, Kontakion Tone 2)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:47:44 AM by StGeorge » Logged
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

This was posted on Al's page:

***Meghan Elizabeth Green, 20, who brought so much joy and happiness, fell asleep in the Lord at 6:47 a.m. today. May she rest in Paradise where there is no weeping and no sorrow. God bless all of you who poured out your hearts to Alberta and me. Thank you for your prayers.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »

+Memory Eternal!

Love never fails.
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

I'm so sorry -

+Memory Eternal

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

May Meghan's Memory be Eternal.

May the Lord comfort and strengthen her parents in their grief.

Amen.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »

May Meghan's memory be eternal

O Lord, receive the soul of Your handmaiden, Meghan, who has departed from this earthly place to repose in Your Bosom; lead her soul to rest in a place of light, happiness, and peace, where there is neither pain nor suffering, neither grief nor sighing, but only life everlasting. And as You are a gracious God and the Lover of Mankind, forgive her every sin she has committed by thought, or word, or deed, or omission, for there is not a man who lives and does not sin, for You alone are without sin and You are the Resurrection and the Life.

Holy Theotokos, you who knows especially the sorrow of losing one's only Child, cast your Mantle of love over Meghan's parents, comfort them and intercede with your Son that they be given the strength to salve their grief with the belief that she no longer suffers and is in a better place.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

This is so very sad.  Cry
May Meghan rest in Peace.

My deepest sympathies to her parents.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »

Funeral services are Saturday at 10 am in Susquehanna, PA. Grant eternal rest O Lord to the soul of Your departed servant, Meghan and grant her rest where there is no pain, sorrow nor mourning. Eternal Memory! Keep her parents, Al and Alberta close to You, grant comfort to them in their time of sorrow and give them the strength  and faith to carry on as they await the day of the Resurrection. Lord, have mercy.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »

+Memory Eternal!!!

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: