OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:36:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritual primacy/supremacy  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

I frequently come across this concept in OO documents. It is mentioned that supposedly there is some form of "spiritual primacy" or "spiritual supremacy" (they might be two different things, but given that neither are really defined and are used in the same context, I don't know) in 3 different OO Sees within their respective realms, those being:

-Alexandria among the African OO (Coptic, Ethiopian, and Eritrean)
-Antioch among the West Syrian rite OO (Syrian and Malayali)
-Etchmiadzin among the Armenians

Yet there is never provided a definition for what exactly this reality is. Can someone explain to me what this means? How, for instance, the Coptic Pope is spiritually supreme over not only his own church but also over the two other autocephalous African OO churches?

(I'm assuming the concept and reality is the same for Alexandria, Antioch, and Etchmiadzin. However, if they are at all distinct, please explain.)

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »

With regard to Etchmaidzin, you may want to review what I wrote in the following:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21422.msg323283.html#msg323283

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28220.0.html

I don't  really know much beyond what I wrote there.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:59:35 PM by Salpy » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
I frequently come across this concept in OO documents. It is mentioned that supposedly there is some form of "spiritual primacy" or "spiritual supremacy" (they might be two different things, but given that neither are really defined and are used in the same context, I don't know) in 3 different OO Sees within their respective realms, those being:

-Alexandria among the African OO (Coptic, Ethiopian, and Eritrean)
-Antioch among the West Syrian rite OO (Syrian and Malayali)
-Etchmiadzin among the Armenians

Yet there is never provided a definition for what exactly this reality is. Can someone explain to me what this means? How, for instance, the Coptic Pope is spiritually supreme over not only his own church but also over the two other autocephalous African OO churches?

(I'm assuming the concept and reality is the same for Alexandria, Antioch, and Etchmiadzin. However, if they are at all distinct, please explain.)

This concept of supremacy is in regards to regional/local ordination and infrastructural organization.  In the Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox, up until 1959 the Ethiopian Church received its clerical ordination and administration directly from Alexandria and the Holy See of Saint Mark, as according to tradition and precedent established at the First Ecumenical Council.  In socio-political terms, this was an excellent and effective strategy which allowed Ethiopian indigenous power struggles to be checked in their quest for popular mandate and political legitimacy, as the Egyptian clergy in Ethiopia had always been the Samuel-type Kingmakers.  Traditionally all ordination, from deacons and monks to regional hegemons and bishops was performed annually by the Egyptian Abun who functioned as the metropolitan of Axum/Ethiopia and today is the Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, from the Holy See of Tekle Haymanot.

Still, the supremacy of Alexandria is recognized by the Patriarch in Ethiopia, His Holiness Abune Paulos, and His Holiness Pope Shenouda III in Egypt has resumed cordial relations with Ethiopia after a few decades hiatus during the Derg era.

The Patriarch, before 1959 was essentially the supreme landlord of all the Church land, and was responsible for technical schemes like budgets, tithe collecting, land maintenance and selling, and of course ecclesiastic issues and church matters of all variety.  He was the head authority, sort of like the Supreme Court of the Church, but also the Chief Executive and  Prime Minister of all Church matters.

Spiritual authority I suppose is derived from ordination, which the Patriarch is the source of, as according to the Apostolic Succession and laying of hands and anointing of the Apostles, which is received under the auspices of the Holy See of Saint Mark (for Africa), and so the Apostolic continuity is maintained from a tangible relationship.  Remember the priests have been given the authority to perform the Divine Mysteries, including Baptism and Repentance/Absolution, so people very much felt that spiritual matters were in the authority of priests, who were in turn invested this authority, in the case of Ethiopia almost all priests and deacons received it directly from the laying of hands and anointing by the Egyptian Abun sent from Alexandria.
I can not honestly speak for other jurisdictions as you mentioned, but I can only assume it is similar as we are all Orthodox.

Stay Blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: