OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:52:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what would be appropriate in my situation?  (Read 511 times) Average Rating: 0
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« on: December 06, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »

I’m new to OC(attended services for couple of months) and last time I was chastised by one of the ladies who saw me taking a sip of water during service. I have a chronic medical condition that at times, makes me feel nauseated and dizzy, so I usually keep a small bottle of water handy in my purse in case I start feeling sick which is what happened last time. When I mentioned my situation, this lady said that if I feel the need to have some water, I should step outside since they don’t allow any drinks inside.
Is that correct? I’m new to this and not sure of all the customs. I was rather embarrassed to ask my priest about something so trivial unfortunately, its also embrassing to step outside every time i need a sip of water. What should i do?

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »

This just sounds like a nebby woman who should have been focusing on her own prayers rather than looking around for something to complain about.  It would probably make you feel better, though, to mention it to the priest and ask for his guidance in a) what you should do when you feel the need to take a sip of water and b) how to handle the more ungracious members of his flock.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »

Welcome Victoria!

While this should be discussed with the priest, if you could not make it outside, then its probably better to drink there than it would be to get sick in the church.

I'm sure the priest will be happy to discuss this and any other questions you may have.

Don't let this discourage you from attending church.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »

I’m new to OC(attended services for couple of months) and last time I was chastised by one of the ladies who saw me taking a sip of water during service. I have a chronic medical condition that at times, makes me feel nauseated and dizzy, so I usually keep a small bottle of water handy in my purse in case I start feeling sick which is what happened last time. When I mentioned my situation, this lady said that if I feel the need to have some water, I should step outside since they don’t allow any drinks inside.
Is that correct?
Not really.  We don't have coffee during services, just after, but most Churches have Holy Water to drink, for instance.

If it is possible to step outside to drink, then do so just as not to make a scene. If not, if you get too nauseasted and dizzy too quickly to step out, then by all means take the sip.  If something is said, mention it to the priest.

I’m new to this and not sure of all the customs. I was rather embarrassed to ask my priest about something so trivial unfortunately, its also embrassing to step outside every time i need a sip of water. What should i do?
If you can sit near the exit, do so. If, however, you are still learning and want to follow up close what is going on, that takes priority. There is no mortal sin drinking in Church, in particular for a medical condition.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

Welcome Victoria!

While this should be discussed with the priest, if you could not make it outside, then its probably better to drink there than it would be to get sick in the church.

I'm sure the priest will be happy to discuss this and any other questions you may have.

Don't let this discourage you from attending church.
Amen!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »

Thank you all for your help Smiley I'm definately wouldn't let this issue keep me from attending. There is a lot of things i don't know yet and this forum have been really helpful!

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

My mother is elderly, and each Sunday she brings a small cloth bag with her.  In it she has her meds, hanky, bottle of water, etc. 
She's a diabetic, etc....but, refuses to eat/drink Sundays because she always tries to go to Holy Communion.

However, if she feels ill, she has that bottle of water...

To draw less attention to it though, she sticks a drinking straw in it.  Therefore, she quietly sips the water, nobody sees her lifting it, nor does the plastic crunch or make any noise. 

Just a thought.  People can't complain, about something they don't "see".

However, mostly do not get discouraged.   There are always folks who try to "correct" every little thing they think is a mistake. 

...but, that's not just a church occurrence...that happens everywhere. 

Again, welcome!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:42:14 PM »

It is none of her business.  As others said above, if you need to speak with someone, speak with your priest.  Any Orthodox information about food and drink I have either read or heard ALWAYS allows a different approach for those who need it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: