OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Narnia fans' in fury after Liam Neeson claim about Aslan  (Read 1608 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 06, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »

Ahead of the release of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next Thursday, Neeson [who voices Aslan in the movie] said: ‘Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries.

‘That’s who Aslan stands for as well as a mentor figure for kids – that’s what he means for me.’

Neeson, 58, who grew up in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, is a practising Roman Catholic and was named after his parish priest. His actress wife Natasha Richardson died in a skiing accident in March last year.

Two years ago, he teamed up with an order of American Catholic priests to bring out a CD of spiritual meditations for Lent.
William Oddie, a fomer editor of The Catholic Herald and a lifelong fan of the Chronicles of Narnia, accused Neeson of ‘a betrayal of Lewis’s intention and a shameful distortion’.

He said: ‘Aslan is clearly established from the very beginning of the whole cannon as being a Christ figure. I can’t believe that Liam Neeson is so stupid as not to know.’
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:27:37 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »

Ahead of the release of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next Thursday, Neeson [who voices Aslan in the movie] said: ‘Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed
The name must have thrown him;it's Turkish for "lion."

I actually never cared too much for Narnia, precisely because the symbolism was too stiffling obvious (as opposed to the Lord of the Rings).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »

Ahead of the release of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next Thursday, Neeson [who voices Aslan in the movie] said: ‘Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries.

‘That’s who Aslan stands for as well as a mentor figure for kids – that’s what he means for me.’

Neeson, 58, who grew up in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, is a practising Roman Catholic and was named after his parish priest. His actress wife Natasha Richardson died in a skiing accident in March last year.

Two years ago, he teamed up with an order of American Catholic priests to bring out a CD of spiritual meditations for Lent.
William Oddie, a fomer editor of The Catholic Herald and a lifelong fan of the Chronicles of Narnia, accused Neeson of ‘a betrayal of Lewis’s intention and a shameful distortion’.

He said: ‘Aslan is clearly established from the very beginning of the whole cannon as being a Christ figure. I can’t believe that Liam Neeson is so stupid as not to know.’

I can't believe William Oddie is so dense as to not realize that Liam Neeson DID recognize Aslan as a Christ figure, that Mr. Neeson merely recognized Aslan as representing more than just Christ. Roll Eyes
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »

I can't believe William Oddie is so dense as to not realize that Liam Neeson DID recognize Aslan as a Christ figure, that Mr. Neeson merely recognized Aslan as representing more than just Christ. Roll Eyes

And I can't believe William Oddie or anyone would be "in fury" over Neeson's comment about a talking Lion! Cheesy

Some people will just find ANYTHING to complain about simply because they are most happy when they are complaining and hunting for some "heresy" that isn't there. All Neeson was doing was trying to show that Narnia can appeal to people of faiths other than Christian. No big deal. I mean, isn't that the whole reason Lewis wrote the darn books to begin with? To appeal to a broader audience? I think Mr. Oddie misses the point entirely.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »

Ahead of the release of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next Thursday, Neeson [who voices Aslan in the movie] said: ‘Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed
The name must have thrown him;it's Turkish for "lion."

I actually never cared too much for Narnia, precisely because the symbolism was too stiffling obvious (as opposed to the Lord of the Rings).

I used to like Narnia better, but over the years have withdrawn a bit from it and am now a LOTR guy. Plus there is a lot more grey in LOTR/Tolkien, as opposed to straight up black and white as in Narnia. Remember though, 50 years ago, a lot of these uber Lewis/Tolkien Christian fans were claiming these books were of the devil and Satanic, kind of like they do with Harry Potter today. (though I hate to use Harry Potter in the same post as even discussing Tolkien or Lewis...LOL!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »

ZOMG Liam Neeson has expressed what he clearly says is his own opinion!  Damn that man for his cheek, damn him to hell!   laugh
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:24:51 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »

What a stupid thing for Liam Neeson to say, when C.S. Lewis was obviously a devout Christian, and obviously did not believe in the other world religions. I wonder if Mr. Neesom has read anything else written by C.S. Lewis besides the Chronicles of Narnia. I have a suggestion for him:

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

What a stupid thing for Liam Neeson to say, when C.S. Lewis was obviously a devout Christian....
So, are you saying that, say, a Hindu should not interpret Aslan for him or herself, in a Hindu-oriented way?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:14:00 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »

I can't believe that people in Hollywood aren't devout Christians!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »

What a stupid thing for Liam Neeson to say, when C.S. Lewis was obviously a devout Christian....
So, are you saying that, say, a Hindu should not interpret Aslan for him or herself, in a Hindu-oriented way?
Yes, because C.S. did not create Alsan as a type of some hindu god. He created Alsan as a type of Christ. When we force our own interpretations on a text, rather than allowing the text to be what it is, we commit literary rape.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:16:33 PM by Papist » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »

Cheesy

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »

For those that say Narnia is an obvious allegory, there is a quote from C.S. Lewis, in which he was answering (I think in an interview) a question about how overtly Christian Narnia is. He claimed that he did not intend to write a Christocentric story, just a story for children, but that when one knows that Truth, it is expressed in everything he or she does. I can't find the exact quote, but I know it's out there. I'll post it if I do happen to find it.

It's also worth saying that Lewis consulted Tolkien often as he wrote Narnia. I believe Lewis was also privvy to Tolkien's writing of LOTR.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:11 PM »

For those that say Narnia is an obvious allegory, there is a quote from C.S. Lewis, in which he was answering (I think in an interview) a question about how overtly Christian Narnia is. He claimed that he did not intend to write a Christocentric story, just a story for children, but that when one knows that Truth, it is expressed in everything he or she does. I can't find the exact quote, but I know it's out there. I'll post it if I do happen to find it.

It's also worth saying that Lewis consulted Tolkien often as he wrote Narnia. I believe Lewis was also privvy to Tolkien's writing of LOTR.

Actually, that sounds alot like what Tolkein said about Lord of the Rings.

BTW, Tolkien was actually very critical of the Chronicles of Narnia for being so overt in their allegories.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »

Cheesy

Double  laugh

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »

Yes, because C.S. did not create Alsan as a type of some hindu god. He created Alsan as a type of Christ. When we force our own interpretations on a text, rather than allowing the text to be what it is, we commit literary rape.

But Neeson is not "forcing" any interpretation, but answering a simple question about what Aslan is to him.  It would be "literary rape" (seriously, drama queen much?) if Neeson was advocating that it was Lewis' intention was to portray all the great religious figures as Aslan, but Neeson clearly says that "for him" Aslan is more than just a type of Christ.  It's neither stupid or some act of violence on the text for him to think so.  

If this is what people are getting upset about, they need to grow up and look around at some real issues other than a Hollywood actor's opinion on a character he is playing in films that are not all that good to begin with.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

But Neeson is not "forcing" any interpretation, but answering a simple question about what Aslan is to him.  It would be "literary rape" (seriously, drama queen much?) if Neeson was advocating that it was Lewis' intention was to portray all the great religious figures as Aslan, but Neeson clearly says that "for him" Aslan is more than just a type of Christ.  It's neither stupid or some act of violence on the text for him to think so.  

If this is what people are getting upset about, they need to grow up and look around at some real issues other than a Hollywood actor's opinion on a character he is playing in films that are not all that good to begin with.
But no one cares who Aslan is "to him" or "to you" or "to me". Who is Alsan really? That is the important question when approaching a text. I think that relativism used in literary interpretation get's us nowhere, and doesn't help us to understand what the text is actually saying at all. People who think that they are so important that they need to force their own iterpretation on a text really need to grow up out their self-absorbed little world. Trust me, when I took the  AP exam for english, I was not required to write an essay in repsonse to the following question: "Who is Hamlet to you?"
BTW, should I be surprised that someone in Holywood is self-absorbed? Lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:43:49 PM by Papist » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »

But no one cares who Aslan is "to him" or "to you" or "to me". Who is Alsan really? That is the important question when approaching a text. I think that relativism used in literary interpretation get's us nowhere, and doesn't help us to understand what the text is actually saying at all. People who think that they are so important that they need to force their own iterpretation on a text really need to grow up out their self-absorbed little world. Trust me, when I took the  AP exam for english, I was not required to write an essay in repsonse to the following question: "Who is Hamlet to you?"
BTW, should I be surprise that someone in Holywood is self-absorbed? Lol

If no one cares what Liam Neeson has to say about a character he's playing, why are you (and others) getting your knickers in a twist?  By your own admission, he's just an actor.  As such, how he approaches playing a character is his own business, not yours or anyone else's.  And, as an actor, he's often asked how he approaches a role which is probably what happened here (although I don't know for sure).

Again, if his opinion doesn't matter, why all the fuss?  This is exactly like those idiots over on facebook who are trumpeting in a self-aggrandizing and pretentious manner that, shock of shocks, changing your profile pic to a cartoon character for a week REALLY doesn't help stop child abuse! 

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »

But no one cares who Aslan is "to him" or "to you" or "to me". Who is Alsan really? That is the important question when approaching a text. I think that relativism used in literary interpretation get's us nowhere, and doesn't help us to understand what the text is actually saying at all. People who think that they are so important that they need to force their own iterpretation on a text really need to grow up out their self-absorbed little world. Trust me, when I took the  AP exam for english, I was not required to write an essay in repsonse to the following question: "Who is Hamlet to you?"

If no one cares what Liam Neeson has to say about a character he's playing, why are you (and others) getting your knickers in a twist?  By your own admission, he's just an actor.  As such, how he approaches playing a character is his own business, not yours or anyone else's.  And, as an actor, he's often asked how he approaches a role which is probably what happened here (although I don't know for sure).

Again, if his opinion doesn't matter, why all the fuss?  This is exactly like those idiots over on facebook who are trumpeting in a self-aggrandizing and pretentious manner that, shock of shocks, changing your profile pic to a cartoon character for a week REALLY doesn't help stop child abuse! 

I am responding to a general cultural-trend amongst all of us to think that we are more important than objective reality, not because I particularly care about Liam Neeson's view.
As for the facebook phenomena, yes, it's the same cultural problem. We think think that one meaningless acts in our subjective litttle world, amounts to a hill of beans. If we really wanted to help stop child abuse we would take actions that have an objective effect on reality.

P.S. I changed my profile pic to a cartoon just because it's awesome to do so.  Cheesy

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »

I am responding to a general cultural-trend amongst all of us to think that we are more important than objective reality, not because I particularly care about Liam Neeson's view.
As for the facebook phenomena, yes, it's the same cultural problem. We think think that one meaningless acts in our subjective litttle world, amounts to a hill of beans. If we really wanted to help stop child abuse we would take actions that have an objective effect on reality.

P.S. I changed my profile pic to a cartoon just because it's awesome to do so.  Cheesy

Me, too. I seriously doubt anyone other than a few American hausfraus who play Farmville relentlessly actually thought such an action helped stop child abuse!

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »

The actor, 59, admitted Islamic prayer "got into his spirit" while filming in Turkish city Istanbul.

He said: "The Call to Prayer happens five times a day and for the first week it drives you crazy, and then it just gets into your spirit and it's the most beautiful, beautiful thing.

"There are 4,000 mosques in the city. Some are just stunning and it really makes me think about becoming a Muslim."

...and, no, Neeson is not becoming Muslim. Roll Eyes

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

Ecumenism in Narnia!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »

First, except for that Kinsey movie, I'm kind of a fan of Mr. Neeson's.  He's not that great of an actor, but he is a good actor for sure.  And though I'm not at all upset about Mr. Neeson's opinion, since we're talking about it I thought I'd add my .02 to this very important discussion.  Cheesy  If Mr. Lewis did indeed intend for Aslan to be a Christ-like character, it does seem a bit odd that said character would remind you of other religious figures.  I don't know that I'd call it "literary rape" (that phrase makes me laugh, btw) but if a Christ-like character reminds you of Muhammad or the Buddha, it just shows that you don't know much about all three.  I certainly don't think it worth getting me knickers in a twist (those things are hell to iron out), though.  Furthermore,  Mr. Neeson supposedly says after hanging out in Turkey for a while that he felt like becoming a Muslim after weeks of hearing the adhan (call to prayer) and admiring mosque architecture (no doubt of which a few were probably churches.  He was filming in Constantinople after all...Am I right, peeps?)  This tells me that he might be a bit wishy-washy and/or easily swayed.  Anyway, maybe a little odd, but nothing to get wigged out about.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

First, except for that Kinsey movie, I'm kind of a fan of Mr. Neeson's.  He's not that great of an actor, but he is a good actor for sure.  And though I'm not at all upset about Mr. Neeson's opinion, since we're talking about it I thought I'd add my .02 to this very important discussion.  Cheesy  If Mr. Lewis did indeed intend for Aslan to be a Christ-like character, it does seem a bit odd that said character would remind you of other religious figures.  I don't know that I'd call it "literary rape" (that phrase makes me laugh, btw) but if a Christ-like character reminds you of Muhammad or the Buddha, it just shows that you don't know much about all three.  I certainly don't think it worth getting me knickers in a twist (those things are hell to iron out), though.  Furthermore,  Mr. Neeson supposedly says after hanging out in Turkey for a while that he felt like becoming a Muslim after weeks of hearing the adhan (call to prayer) and admiring mosque architecture (no doubt of which a few were probably churches.  He was filming in Constantinople after all...Am I right, peeps?)  This tells me that he might be a bit wishy-washy and/or easily swayed.  Anyway, maybe a little odd, but nothing to get wigged out about.   

I agree. As to the why of this tempest in a teapot, I think it goes to a desire to be liked by everyone--certainly a primary cause of wishy-washiness. In the end, it makes Mr Neeson a pretentious fool.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »

...if a Christ-like character reminds you of Muhammad or the Buddha, it just shows that you don't know much about all three.
When the Buddha speaks about loving one's enemies, that certainly reminds me of Christ (and vice versa). Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:20:13 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Use your words!

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »

Me, too. I seriously doubt anyone other than a few American hausfraus who play Farmville relentlessly actually thought such an action helped stop child abuse!

The color scheme in your current avatar is simply fabulous! Fierce, even!

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »

because the symbolism was too stiffling obvious

You have to keep in mind that it was written for children whereas LOTR was written for the pretty heavy, adult readers. CS Lewis did in fact write more mature fiction aimed toward adults and heavier readers. The ironic thing is, many people see Tolkien as the greatest fiction writer of all time with CS Lewis as being the guy who knocked him off, when, in reality, it is actually the other way around. CS Lewis taught Tolkien how to write fiction more affectively and in return, Tolkien taught Lewis how to be a better essayist. The Chronicles of Narnia was toned down for children.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »

What a stupid thing for Liam Neeson to say, when C.S. Lewis was obviously a devout Christian, and obviously did not believe in the other world religions. I wonder if Mr. Neesom has read anything else written by C.S. Lewis besides the Chronicles of Narnia. I have a suggestion for him:

Your strident naivete must be so comforting.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 01:48:03 AM »

I am responding to a general cultural-trend amongst all of us to think that we are more important than objective reality,

You study philosophy? Good grief . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »

Unless the movie has Aslan roaring the adhan, I don't see why anyone cares about this. Did people get so mad when Madonna decided she was a British Kabbalist a few years ago? Everyone has some dumb opinion about something. The only reason this is even a news story is that for some reason people want to know what actors think, or at least actors apparently like to think so. Let's prove them wrong and stop this kind of silly "outrage" against an opinion. There are more than enough things to really be outraged involving the treatment of Christians and Christianity in the world that don't involve some silly offhand comment by an actor voicing a talking lion in a movie I bet most of us aren't even going to see.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 03:26:37 AM »

Who cares? Chronicles of Narnia is a terrible series written by a terrible fiction wrtier. His apologtics are for people who can't comprehend Chesterton and can be easily refuted by the most sophmoric of arguments.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »

The things people get angry about these days  Roll Eyes

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »

It's funny, I'm pretty sure Lewis was Anglican and meant the Narnia series to have Christian metaphors, but there are better things to get worried about. I don't exactly wait around for Mr. Neeson to tell me what to do.  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »

His apologtics are for people who can't comprehend Chesterton and can be easily refuted by the most sophmoric of arguments.

In a sense I agree with you yet I also disagree with you. Most of Lewis' arguments, although watered down, are actually valid in themselves and would be more affective if we thought them through ourselves or read about them more indepth, such as Chesterton, as you said. However, the way Lewis presents them is usually really simplified and watered-down for the average reader. His most indepth apologetic works are actually his lesser known essays which did not receive as much mainstream attention.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 03:35:10 PM »

I did like the Narnia series. Believe it or not, I must be one of the few people who have never read Lewis' Christian works. We did read a few excerpts from him in college, but other than that, nothing. One day, maybe I'll get around to it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

didn't you catch this part

Neeson, 58, who grew up in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, is a practicing Roman Catholic and was named after his parish priest. His actress wife Natasha Richardson died in a skiing accident in March last year.

Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: