OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 08:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why an afterlife is bad  (Read 15254 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »

The actual laws that hold the universe together don't come into conflict with a belief or disbelief in a deity. I don't know why people automatically assume that the data leads to atheism. Until man can create from nil himself. Observable science can also be explaining a creative act.

But those laws were not created by ourselves and also of no purpose that these laws even exist is the point I'm making.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

Come on guys three kings following a star across the desert to bring presents to a god-man baby (who was immaculately concepted and had no father) whom they dreamed about is all about reason.

Really now.
Three Zoroastrian priests, clergy of a religion that had no links to the OT, but which did predict the birth of a savior in a cave, and who did place great store by studying the stars.

Well, we don't know if it was three of them, but certainly three gifts were given on account of Christ's kingship, priesthood, and suffering.
And Zoroastrianism does have links to the OT.
Actually, no, it does not. I think I know what you are alluding to, but I'll let you make you case.

(I'd open another thread, but since the afterlife is supposedly one of these developments, I'll leave it here).

Weren't the Zoroastrian priests expecting the incarnation of Mithras?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »

Come on guys three kings following a star across the desert to bring presents to a god-man baby (who was immaculately concepted and had no father) whom they dreamed about is all about reason.

Really now.
Three Zoroastrian priests, clergy of a religion that had no links to the OT, but which did predict the birth of a savior in a cave, and who did place great store by studying the stars.

Well, we don't know if it was three of them, but certainly three gifts were given on account of Christ's kingship, priesthood, and suffering.
And Zoroastrianism does have links to the OT.
Actually, no, it does not. I think I know what you are alluding to, but I'll let you make you case.

(I'd open another thread, but since the afterlife is supposedly one of these developments, I'll leave it here).

Weren't the Zoroastrian priests expecting the incarnation of Mithras?
Something like that, yes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »

Which is interesting because that Mithras cult didn't begin until around 90-100AD if I am not mistaken.

Is there any importance as to why the Zoroastrian priests were present at the birth? Was it to show how Christ came for both the Gentiles and the Jews?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »

Which is interesting because that Mithras cult didn't begin until around 90-100AD if I am not mistaken.

The god Mithra predates Mithranism. The Yasht hymn to him is the longest in the Younger Avesta
http://www.avesta.org/ka/yt10sbe.htm

Is there any importance as to why the Zoroastrian priests were present at the birth? Was it to show how Christ came for both the Gentiles and the Jews?
Yes. Notice, too, how they are led by stars to discover what has happened, while the Hebrew shepherds have the news revealed directly to them by angels.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »

The god Mithra predates Mithranism. The Yasht hymn to him is the longest in the Younger Avesta
http://www.avesta.org/ka/yt10sbe.htm
If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Romans twist the Mihtras account to try to make it parallel to Christianity, near 100 AD?

Yes. Notice, too, how they are led by stars to discover what has happened, while the Hebrew shepherds have the news revealed directly to them by angels.
That is very fascinating, in my opinion that is incredible.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

What happens next? They can't mature, since there is no environment in heaven which would promote growth. Even if they could 'grow up,' what age would it be to?
In traditional Christian theology, the corruptable body will be replaced by a resurrection body. The resurrection body, though, need not be un-changing, un-growable.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: atheist pedantic 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: