Author Topic: How are Masses with Eastern clergy celebrated?  (Read 621 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint John Maximovitch, pray for us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
How are Masses with Eastern clergy celebrated?
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »
Here's an interesting question: If an Eastern Bishop were to stop by for Mass, how is Mass celebrated? What about if an Eastern priest stops by, what would change in Mass?
"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation."
-Saint Patrick's Breastplate

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: How are Masses with Eastern clergy celebrated?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
Presumably it wouldn't change anything. The guest bishop/priest would have to know the basic rubrics of the rite, though.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Makes me wonder if the Western rites have rubrics for pontifical masses. The changes are minor, and there are currently no mainly WR bishops, but it would be an interesting thing to see.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
I've seen only some pictures; the bishop wears Western vestments.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
Wasn't Bishop Jerome Shaw Western Rite, though?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:28 PM »

Yes, and no, it wasn't all he did. He was administering the Western Rite, before he was forcibly retired and relieved of all duties, .... except providing spiritual direction for Brother Nathanael.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint John Maximovitch, pray for us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 11:15:25 AM »

Yes, and no, it wasn't all he did. He was administering the Western Rite, before he was forcibly retired and relieved of all duties, .... except providing spiritual direction for Brother Nathanael.

I thought Brother Nathanael had no relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, nor is he even a monastic.

From Rational Wiki:

"Concerning his relationship with the ROCOR, he also notes that he "speaks and writes ... not in any official capacity with ROCOR."[1] A July 19, 2013, statement from Chancery of the Synod of Bishops of the ROCOR declares that Kapner has no relation to the ROCOR diocese in which he lives and that his "actions ... do not have the blessing of the Synod of Bishops."[9] The statement further urges him to cease his activity on the internet and to repent. The statement was signed by Archbishop Kyrill (Dmitrieff), who is the ruling hierarch of the Western American diocese in which Kapner lives: "The clergymen and laity of the Russian Church Abroad are hereby informed that the actions of Nathanael (Kapner) do not have the blessing of the Synod of Bishops. Profoundly saddened by the state of his soul, we call upon Nathanael (Kapner) to refrain from posting on the Internet, to a life of repentance of peace in Christ, “where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all” (Colossians 3:11)"

"Kapner claims to enjoy the support of Bishop Jerome (Shaw); however, Bishop Jerome was involuntarily retired by the ROCOR on July 10, 2013, during an Extraordinary Session of the Synod of Bishops.[11] Bishop Jerome was censured and stripped of his episcopal duties and rights."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:17:17 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation."
-Saint Patrick's Breastplate

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
Let’s not discuss Br Nathaniel in this thread.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Are bishops in the habit of just stopping by?  In my experience their visitations tend to be planned, particularly if they intend to celebrate.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »
Are bishops in the habit of just stopping by?  In my experience their visitations tend to be planned, particularly if they intend to celebrate.
In Poland it happens. And it's nightmare of the choir directors, chanters and readers.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
In Poland it happens. And it's nightmare of the choir directors, chanters and readers.

I imagine it must be. :-\
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis