OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was the Orthodox Church concerened over the Book of Revelation?  (Read 1945 times) Average Rating: 0
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« on: December 04, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »

Because of obvious misintrepretation since it is a book of mystery?

Wasn't it still disputed, along with the Book of James, if it should even be included in the Bible even after St Athanasius proposed the canon and accepted in the third council at Carthage? What is the original Orthodox take on Revelation?
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »

I am hardly a leading authority on such things, but it was so disputed because of it's content. There are some jurisdictions that still do not have the Apocalypse in their canon. It is also not read liturgically in the Orthodox Church. However, it goes both ways. The Church in her Wisdom employs many things from the Apocalypse in worship, such as the idea of heavenly Liturgy, but wisely IMHO, does not use it for public readings. I can't count the amount of people that have gone down very bizarre, and often heretical roads using the Revelation as a proof text. 2 Peter, and 2/3 John were also disputed as well. I think though for different reasons.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »

Because of obvious misintrepretation since it is a book of mystery?

Wasn't it still disputed, along with the Book of James,

Martin Luther was the only one who disputed James, oddly enough because it is the only book to contain the phrase "by Faith alone." Of course, his problem was the "not" before.

if it should even be included in the Bible even after St Athanasius proposed the canon and accepted in the third council at Carthage? What is the original Orthodox take on Revelation?
It is a Book of the Age to Come, which is why it is read only on Great and Holy Saturday.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

It is a Book of the Age to Come, which is why it is read only on Great and Holy Saturday.
I've understood that what may appear to be quotations from Revelation are actually from the OT (Isaiah?) that Revelation itself happens to quote. I don't have a specific reference for that. In which service and a what point do you recognize a reading from Revelation?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

I've understood that what may appear to be quotations from Revelation are actually from the OT (Isaiah?) that Revelation itself happens to quote. I don't have a specific reference for that. In which service and a what point do you recognize a reading from Revelation?
The Vigil over the Epitaphion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

Not to contradict you either Isa, you are much more knowledgeable than myself, but I've always heard the the Apocalypse is never read liturgically. Could you elaborate?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »

Not to contradict you either Isa, you are much more knowledgeable than myself, but I've always heard the the Apocalypse is never read liturgically. Could you elaborate?
During the Vigil from the Servive of Matins of Great and Holy Saturday on the Vigl of Great and Holy Friday until the Midnight Service of Pascha, many Eastern rite Churches read the NT, including Revelation, continously in vigil before the Tomb. Some read only Revalation. Depending on how you categorize such reading as liturgical or not would answer your question.  There is no Eastern lection reading from Revelation, though. In the Western Rite Churches, there are some readings from Revelation-the office of the Neo-Martyrs of Russia uses verses from Revelation, and IIRC Advent.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »

I am hardly a leading authority on such things, but it was so disputed because of it's content. There are some jurisdictions that still do not have the Apocalypse in their canon. It is also not read liturgically in the Orthodox Church. However, it goes both ways. The Church in her Wisdom employs many things from the Apocalypse in worship, such as the idea of heavenly Liturgy, but wisely IMHO, does not use it for public readings. I can't count the amount of people that have gone down very bizarre, and often heretical roads using the Revelation as a proof text. 2 Peter, and 2/3 John were also disputed as well. I think though for different reasons.
That is interesting. Which jurisdictions might they be?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »

I am also curious, as I think this is false. He might be thinking of the fact that this was missing from the Syriac Miaphysite canon for a long time with some of the catholic epistles, and also I believe from the Nestorian canon, I believe as late as a couple of centuries ago. I am not certain on any of this, these are just recollections off the top of my head. Anyway, I don't think that the Syrian/Syriac/Assyrian whatever people necessarily had a huge issue with the excluded books, they were just never included on a local level. But after their acceptance by the rest of the Christian world, I think they were added in to conform to the larger canon list of 27 books worldwide.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:40:34 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »

I am also curious, as I think this is false. He might be thinking of the fact that this was missing from the Syriac Miaphysite canon for a long time with some of the catholic epistles, and also I believe from the Nestorian canon, I believe as late as a couple of centuries ago. I am not certain on any of this, these are just recollections off the top of my head. Anyway, I don't think that the Syrian/Syriac/Assyrian whatever people necessarily had a huge issue with the excluded books, they were just never included on a local level. But after their acceptance by the rest of the Christian world, I think they were added in to conform to the larger canon list of 27 books worldwide.

The Syriac and Indian Orthodox, as well as the Assyrians, traditionally use the Peshitta, which excludes Revelation, Jude, John 2, John 3, and Second Peter.  Like you said, I don't think they have a problem with the substance of those books; they just were not included in that manuscript tradition.  My understanding, though, is that today the Syriac and Indian Orthodox faithful use Bibles which include these books, but they are still not read liturgically:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26347.msg415961.html#msg415961

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »

The Orthodox Church has never really had a "problem" with Revelation/Apocalypse, rather, the issue over it was an Eastern-Western perspective within the Orthodox Church, before the East-West split. There are many solid, patristic commentaries on the book, for example St. Andrew of Caesarea. Modern commentaries like the book by Archbishop Averky or the book called "Ultimate Things" also comment from the Orthodox perspective.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:05:43 AM »

Interesting and relevant comment by our bishop, Bishop Benjamin of San Francisco (OCA), during his visit to our parish for our patronal feast yesterday--may His Grace forgive me if I mistype his words here: "Why don't we read the Apocalypse in Church? Because we DO it (the Apocalypse--more accurately, the liturgical worship described in the Apocalypse)!"
cortisol

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »

Because of obvious misinterpretation since it is a book of mystery?

Wasn't it still disputed, along with the Book of James, if it should even be included in the Bible even after St Athanasius proposed the canon and accepted in the third council at Carthage? What is the original Orthodox take on Revelation?

The "Book of Revelation", yes difficult to understand, and misused by some. Some reform pastor claim to have the wisdom to understand it. On the other hand, what good does it do to essentially ignore it? To my surprise, some orthodox believers (including at least 1 priest that I know off) appear to believe that its mostly/all about the past.

Can we recite the Lords prayer and undermine that the Book of Revelation or that it pertains (ultimately) to the return of The Savior? I hope that all the Patriarchs (and all other Christian Churches) have believers with the gifts of prophecy and wisdom to discern and guide us appropriately.

CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

To my surprise, some orthodox believers (including at least 1 priest that I know off) appear to believe that its mostly/all about the past.

Revelation is all about the intersection of timelessness with time -- the Roman persecutions of the 1st century are juxtaposed with the fact that God and the saints in heaven have already witnessed the final triumph of Christ's people from their viewpoint in eternity. Recognizing this fact doesn't undermine the Lord's Prayer, but rather motivates us all the more to stay in the race until we too see God's plan come to fruition.
Tags: Canon of scriptures Apocalypse of John Revelation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: