OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:33:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Machine Gun] Preacher extols gospel of action  (Read 443 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 03, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

About 100 people sat in metal folding chairs Wednesday night in the gravel parking lot of Grace Community Baptist Church in Trenton, listening to the Rev. Sam Childers talk about heroin addiction, biker gangs and African warlords. Mostly, though, the man who calls himself the Machine Gun Preacher talked about Sudanese children.
He is a 47-year-old former drug dealer from rural Pennsylvania whose life of crime and drugs came to an end when he found Jesus in 1992.
Even while carrying an AK-47 into the African bush, Childers sports a Harley-Davidson muscle T-shirt, and the wooden toothpick that rarely leaves his mouth.
Childers is in Africa seven months out of the year and raising money back home most of the rest. His wife, Lynn, a former stripper, pastors the Shekinah Fellowship Church in Central City, Pa., where the couple live. Their grown daughter — who once asked Childers if he loved African children more than her — now runs his nonprofit group.
Childers said his excursions into the bush, from southern Sudan into northern Uganda, the
Democratic Republic of Congo, the Central African Republic and now the Darfur region of Sudan, have two purposes.

First, save children whose parents have been killed by a band of rebel Ugandan marauders called the Lord's Resistance Army. And second, kill the army's messianic, machete-wielding, dreadlocked leader, Joseph Kony.

For years, Kony — who also has been indicted by the International Criminal Court — terrorized southern Sudan.

Childers hinted that his interest in digging wells in the Darfur region has the added benefit of getting him close to Kony again. "I will get him," Childers said.
That kind of disregard for one of the Ten Commandments makes some Christians nervous — even if the people Childers and his soldiers are killing are molesting, maiming and murdering children.
"People who get upset tend to be thinking of the God of the New Testament," Childers said.

By way of example, Childers points to the Old Testament book of I Samuel where God tells Saul to "utterly destroy" everything the Amalekites have, including "man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:14:06 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »

It's one thing to have a dedication to helping those who are suffering from war and dire poverty. Is it advisable, though, for him to go by himself, or even with a few others, to just appoint himself to intervene in something like this? I could see his opinion of Kony and the LRA, but did any other country ask for him to do this? If not, I think he is potentially causing more danger than he prevents, even with all the awful things that are going on.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:07:09 AM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:58:01 AM »

Wow...a pastor who does more than BS about helping people...good to see. Hope he gets his man.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »

Central City,PA must have changed a lot over the past thirty eight years. The ACROD parish was my brother's first assignment after ordination. Then again, it is a different world.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: