OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:43:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kardashev Scale & The Advancement of Civilization & Technology  (Read 1066 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 03, 2010, 03:22:50 AM »

Something I've been mulling over, I would love some feedback!

I've recently been interested in a thing called the "Kardashev Scale", which is a way of measuring the advancement of civilization & technology. It sets up three types of civilizations.
Type I Civilizations, according to the physicist Dr. Michio Kaku, have harnessed planetary power, he states that in the fictional world (just for comparison sake), a Type 1 Civilization would be equivalent to the civilization in the Buck Rogers Series. The Kardashev Scale equates the Type I Civilization to one that is able to harness all the power on a single planet.
Type II Civilizations, according to Dr. Kaku, is interstellar, and the power of these interstellar civilizations comes from their "mother star", he equates the scale of these civilizations to be roughly equal (for comparison) to the fictional Star Trek series. He also states that at this point, the civilization is immortal, and nothing in the known universe (not even a super-nova, which this civilization could theoretically stop) can destroy it. The Kardashev Scale states that a Type II is able to harness all it's energy from one star.
Type III Civilizations (and the largest), according to Dr. Kaku, are galactic, here they can harness the power of "billions" of stars. He equates the size/scale of this civilization (again for comparison sake) to the Star Wars universe. The Kardashev Scale equates Type III civilizations to being able to harness all the power in the galaxy.

What is interesting, is that according to the Kardashev Scale, we are currently a Type "0" scale, and are roughly at 0.72 on the scale. Dr. Kaku says that we can reach Type I status in maybe 100 years.

What is the significance of this? Well, according to Dr. Kaku, we are in transition to a Type I civilization. Our economy, organizations like the EU, NAFTA, etc... The existence of a very widespread common language (that is, for trade/diplomacy, etc...)...
He says that this is the most important, but very risky, as we will have to transition, and that people such as terrorists (and I would expand to Iran & North Korea, among others) are acting as an opposition force to this transition (that is, inadvertently).

I also have read articles and seen videos about the advancement of our technology. The significant advances that have come about as a result of the 20th Century have been amazing, and at times, shocking. Even the siginificant advances made within the last 20 years have been remarkable. I have read that apparently some are expecting us to make 2,000 years worth of technological advancement in the next 100 years.

I have also been thinking about current events, foreign relations, diplomacy, warfare, etc... And it seems to me that countries are trying to work together more (maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not) than ever before. Relations are being improved, and those nations that are "civilized" and more developed are making an effort to work together for the common good. It seems that although differences still arise, nations like Russia, China, the U.S., and groups like the European Union, NAFTA, NATO, etc... are all making efforts to work together for self-preservation of not just themselves and each other, but everyone else as well. In recent years, we've seen military exercises conducted between Russia & China (these two need to work together, as Russia has the most to fear from China), we have seen the beginnings of military exercises between Russia & the United States (the first of which was in October of this year). Russia has made appeals to NATO to form a common missile defense shield. With the new leaks, we have seen many Middle Eastern countries that were thought to stand against us are actually in agreement with us regarding Iran, and we see that they really want peace, even with Israel. We have seen even China starting to shy away from North Korea because of the danger it is bringing to other Asian nations. We are seeing countries come together to help nations that have fallen down (whether for better or worse) like Haiti, the African Nations, etc...
The farther we get from the World Wars, and the farther we get from 20th Century conflicts (that is, the farther with peace), is it possible that old grudges will die away?

Personally as an Orthodox Christian, I recognize that we, as humans will always been the same fallen creatures until the end. We will always be broken, we will hurt one another and we will hurt our world. But is it possible that, even in the midst of that, that with the advancement of cooperation, we will see nations work together and see our civilization expand further beyond this rock?

I would also ask whether as Orthodox Christians, it would be bad to accept a one-world economy or government. I have thought that the Protestant view of One-World-Government=Anti-Christ was simply that, a Protestant view. Am I wrong in this assumption? Will mankind always be in constant conflict, or is it possible that one day, our conflicts will no longer be at such a huge, almost global scale?

But we must remember that even with the advancement of our technologies, we remain the same in body & soul. Even if we live to be 100, or even 150, or even 200... We will still be the same broken beings. Technology and the advancement of civilization cannot make things "better" for us when it comes to our fallen-ness (as was proven with Germany in WWI and especially WWII). Is it not possible that the era of World Wars and Nuclear Bombs is coming to an end? Is it instead possible, that in working together, we will avoid major conflicts?

I would just like to get everyone's thoughts on this subject...This is something I've been thinking about lately and want some opinions from others, especially from an Orthodox point of view.. (but everyone is welcome to comment)

Or am I just losing my marbles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftF8sXzoWk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:28:14 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »

But we must remember that even with the advancement of our technologies, we remain the same in body & soul. Even if we live to be 100, or even 150, or even 200... We will still be the same broken beings. Technology and the advancement of civilization cannot make things "better" for us when it comes to our fallen-ness (as was proven with Germany in WWI and especially WWII). Is it not possible that the era of World Wars and Nuclear Bombs is coming to an end? Is it instead possible, that in working together, we will avoid major conflicts?
At some point, it might be possible to replace our organic bodies that decay quickly with mechanical bodies that don't, or don't decay any where near as rapidly, perhaps allowing us to live for hundreds, thousands, or more, of years. Psychologically and spiritually we would still be 'human', but our bodies would not necessarily be as broken as they are now.

Paul Davies, The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence, talks about how any aliens we encounter might actually be machine-based.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:05:21 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: