OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:28:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to deal with racism in an Orthodox Christian way.  (Read 812 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »

so, my lab partner was telling me that "The only people I [he] get along with are Whites and Mexicans [hispanics]".  he told me that he just can't stand Asians, and when he looks at them "He just wants to barf on their shiny black hair."  he also told me how they are ALL smart and snutie. 

then, he said that what he can't stand even more are African Americans (he used the "n-word"). he told me that they are all just thugs that would steal your cell phone given half the chance. 

How should I have responded to this?!  when he started, my mouth kindof hung open.  I mean, you just don't talk about people that way!  I understand that he may have had some bad experiences.  I can't tell you how many slurs I've had thrown at me from the Hispanic people, but that doesn't make me hate them.

how should an Orthodox Christian deal with this type of thing?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:00:49 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »

so, my lab partner was telling me that "The only people I [he] get along with are Whites and Mexicans [hispanics]".  he told me that he just can't stand Asians, and when he looks at them "He just wants to barf on their shiny black hair."  he also told me how they are ALL smart and snutie. 

then, he said that what he can't stand even more are African Americans (he used the "n-word"). he told me that they are all just thugs that would steal your cell phone given half the chance. 

How should I have responded to this?!  when he started, my mouth kindof hung open.  I mean, you just don't talk about people that way!  I understand that he may have had some bad experiences.  I can't tell you how many slurs I've had thrown at me from the Hispanic people, but that doesn't make me hate them.

how should an Orthodox Christian deal with this type of thing?
If he is amenable to reason, tell him the Truth: all are made in the image and likeness of God.

If he is not amenable to reason, tell him the Truth: no one is put on this earth to please him. So if he cannot stand anyone, that is his problem, not theirs, and not yours.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: racism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: