OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:10:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA Finds New Life Form  (Read 2072 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 02, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don’t have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn’t been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »

Does that mean that it did not evolve from the same first single celled organism from which we came?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Does that mean that it did not evolve from the same first single celled organism from which we came?
It means (probably) that life evolved more than once.

However, it also might mean that this new life form, and the rest of us, evolved from a still different life form. (Or maybe we evolved from this new life form, or this new life form evolved from "us". The news conference should be innerestin'.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:10:34 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:20:41 PM »

The likelihood of this "new life" having a separate origin appears unlikely. It's more likely that the new life form can simply use arsenic, instead of phosphorus.

Meet GFAJ-1, an otherworldly microbe that can grow on a legendary poison.

U.S. scientists are reporting the microbe, plucked from a California lake, can use arsenic to make proteins and other key molecules including DNA.

They say the arsenic operates as a substitute for phosphorus, long considered one of six essential elements of life.

The finding, which may have "profound evolutionary and geochemical significance," according to a report in the journal Science on Thursday, has the astrobiology world buzzing.

Bloggers had been busy speculating, based on NASA's plan to hold a news conference Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to coincide with the publication of the study, that scientists have found extraterrestrial life.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »

Unlikely? Or just doesn't fit the current model and would require scrapping everything?

I'm going to need this.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »

Unlikely? Or just doesn't fit the current model and would require scrapping everything?

It's probably too early to even make an educated guess. We would need to sequence the DNA and compare its genetic structure to other forms of bacteria to see how much/little mathematical correlation there is.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »

Agreed.

It's probably too early to even make an educated guess. We would need to sequence the DNA and compare its genetic structure to other forms of bacteria to see how much/little mathematical correlation there is.
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »

I finally found an abstract
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »

Couldn't the arsenic adaptation have occured much later after the first cell originated? I think it might be premature to read large-scale evolutionary consequences into this.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:19:39 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

The fact that NASA broke the news made me initially wonder if the source of this life form was extra-terrestrial...that would be really cool if they found that to be the case.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

The fact that NASA broke the news made me initially wonder if the source of this life form was extra-terrestrial...that would be really cool if they found that to be the case.

Maybe they are only claiming it came from California... to set the news in slowly... then the bigger creatures come out next...

trust no one....

*X Files music*

I'm going to need this.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »

Couldn't the arsenic adaptation have occured much later after the first cell originated? I think it might be premature to read large-scale evolutionary consequences into this.
That seems like a likely scenario.

Though one might argue that the arsenic adaption evolved first.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »

I agree, and actually my point, if you can read through the sarcasm.

I'm going to need this.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

What NASA scientists discovered in Mono Lake is but one more example of a bacterium that can adapt to an extreme environment by subbing arsenic for phosphorus in its life-processes.  We are continually finding bacteria that have adapted to extreme environments, all the way from Kinecoccus Radiotolerans (arguably the toughest critter in the Universe), which was find in high-level nuclear waste, to microbes that breathe hydrogen sulfide and live in superhot termal vents, other microbes that live in extreme cold, etc., etc.  IOW, the discovery announced today may not be nearly as revolutionary as supposed.

Now, if that arsenic microbe could just meet up with one that subsists on old lace...

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don’t have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn’t been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology.

Did they find this bacteria or did they make this bacteria do something that it doesn't normally do? Like eat Arsenic instead of phosphorus.

I read the same story on Yahoo, and it was a controlled lab experiment. They didn't find the thing in the wild, they made the thing mutate so that it could survive on arsenic.

I could be wrong, but I thought that some bacteria in the experiment died because it couldn't survive on arsenic while the rest survived because it was able to make the change.

They didn't find a new life form. They were just messing with an already existing life form.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:45:58 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »

What NASA scientists discovered in Mono Lake is but one more example of a bacterium that can adapt to an extreme environment by subbing arsenic for phosphorus in its life-processes.  We are continually finding bacteria that have adapted to extreme environments, all the way from Kinecoccus Radiotolerans (arguably the toughest critter in the Universe), which was find in high-level nuclear waste, to microbes that breathe hydrogen sulfide and live in superhot termal vents, other microbes that live in extreme cold, etc., etc.  IOW, the discovery announced today may not be nearly as revolutionary as supposed.

Now, if that arsenic microbe could just meet up with one that subsists on old lace...

I had Mono a couple of times.. Nasty biz.. This explains a lot.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »

This is more than substituting one element for another for use in its life processes (metabolism, etc). This appears to be a fundamental change at the DNA level, in the elements which constitute the basic building blocks of life. No other organism has been found or created like this one.
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

Substitution of arsenic for phosphorus in the backbone of DNA is "adaptation"? Heh, no.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:29 PM »

Substitution of arsenic for phosphorus in the backbone of DNA is "adaptation"? Heh, no.

If not adaptation, then what?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »

If not adaptation, then what?
I think what he means is that it's not the result of a mutation or two in an otherwise normal bacterium.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 02:33:57 AM »

Perhaps learning about this new life form will help us figure out what politicians are made of. Tongue
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:06 AM »

I'm an undergraduate student of Molecular Biology and Genetics and I'll tell you my opinion, based on my current knowledge of how life works.

First of all, I might be wrong but I don't believe that our evolutionary ancestor and the ancestor of that bacterium had anything in common. Phosphorus is essential for life as we knew it and without Phosphorus you don't have DNA, no mRNA, nothing. You won't live for long if you don't have abundant Phosphorus in your system. Now, if that bacterium had traces of Phosphorus and a far greater amount of Arsenic, I'd be inclined to believe that it adapted, but something like that was not mentioned though. A radical change of Phosphorus to Arsenic though would be non-viable, in my opinion, because the bacterium would be unable to perform any essential life activity, even for a couple of minutes, which would lead it to death.

EDIT: I apologize. I just now found and read the scientific paper and it mentions that there are traces of Phosphorus, minimally low as they are, but existent. At that level of Phosphorus, Phosphorus-dependent life would be unsustainable for the bacteria, but that might mean that it could be some sort of -radical whatsoever but perhaps valid- adaptation.

Now, alien or whatever? In my mind, I have two scenarios. First is that the first Arsenic-friendly cell appeared along with the first cell who used Phosphorus, but was surpassed by the Phosphorus ones, just because the latter were able to adapt much better to a wider range of environments. So, today we only see remnants of life with Arsenic, since this planet was hostile to it, for lack of Arsenic.
Another -perhaps less possible- scenario would be that these bacteria were transmitted to Earth on a meteorite or something. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, there was an era when Earth received hundreds and hundreds of meteorite hits from outer space. Perhaps, some meteorites with bacteria on them hit the earth at various sites. Those who landed on an Arsenic rich environment managed to live, while the others perished.

Just some of my thoughts and please do not take any of them as scientific truth. I'm only an undergraduate student of Molecular Biology and Genetics, who aspires to be an Evolutionary Geneticist one day. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:17:29 AM by Dimitrios-Georgios » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:16 AM »

I'm an undergraduate student of Molecular Biology and Genetics and I'll tell you my opinion, based on my current knowledge of how life works.

First of all, I might be wrong but I don't believe that our evolutionary ancestor and the ancestor of that bacterium had anything in common. Phosphorus is essential for life as we knew it and without Phosphorus you don't have DNA, no mRNA, nothing. You won't live for long if you don't have abundant Phosphorus in your system. Now, if that bacterium had traces of Phosphorus and a far greater amount of Arsenic, I'd be inclined to believe that it adapted, but something like that was not mentioned though. A radical change of Phosphorus to Arsenic though would be non-viable, in my opinion, because the bacterium would be unable to perform any essential life activity, even for a couple of minutes, which would lead it to death.

EDIT: I apologize. I just now found and read the scientific paper and it mentions that there are traces of Phosphorus, minimally low as they are, but existent. At that level of Phosphorus, Phosphorus-dependent life would be unsustainable for the bacteria, but that might mean that it could be some sort of -radical whatsoever but perhaps valid- adaptation.

Now, alien or whatever? In my mind, I have two scenarios. First is that the first Arsenic-friendly cell appeared along with the first cell who used Phosphorus, but was surpassed by the Phosphorus ones, just because the latter were able to adapt much better to a wider range of environments. So, today we only see remnants of life with Arsenic, since this planet was hostile to it, for lack of Arsenic.
Another -perhaps less possible- scenario would be that these bacteria were transmitted to Earth on a meteorite or something. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, there was an era when Earth received hundreds and hundreds of meteorite hits from outer space. Perhaps, some meteorites with bacteria on them hit the earth at various sites. Those who landed on an Arsenic rich environment managed to live, while the others perished.

Just some of my thoughts and please do not take any of them as scientific truth. I'm only an undergraduate student of Molecular Biology and Genetics, who aspires to be an Evolutionary Geneticist one day. Tongue

Interesting. Thanks.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 08:46:30 AM »

I remember coming across this study a while back, which seems to make the multiple origin hypothesis very unlikely.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100512131513.htm

This would seem to lend credance to the 'adaptation' or extra-terrestrial scenario.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:49:44 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »

I remember coming across this study a while back, which seems to make the multiple origin hypothesis very unlikely.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100512131513.htm

This would seem to lend credance to the 'adaptation' or extra-terrestrial scenario.

If an independently evolved life form were to exist, it would make sense that it would evolve in an environment like this that is extremely hostile to life as we know it, thus allowing this other life form to exist without substantial competition. However, with that said, I think it is far more probable that the species simply adapted to allow it to use phosphorus and arsenic interchangeably, giving it an advantage in this environment...those bacteria that couldn't adopt died out since they did not consistently have enough phosphorus to reproduce.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »

What a fascinating discovery. Really, really interesting.

I don't think it contradicts the modern theory of biological evolution. After all, the TBE does not address origins of life (it's a "vulgarization" of the TBE, of sorts, that tries to do that.) The TBE explains how life is being diversified, no matter what origins of it are.

I am also fascinated by the idea that this bacterium is an extraterrestrial. And there might be other forms of life that, possibly, are from other planet(s) - for example, hyperthermophilic Archaea like T. aquaticus, a microorganism that is capable of surviving and even replicating literally in boiling water (while "normal" proteins, including DNA polymerases necessary for DNA replication, are denatured at ~88-93 degrees Celsius); or bacteria like P. aeruginosa that produce pyruvic acid by running the so-called Entner-Doudoroff pathway of chemical reactions, rather than the conventional reactions of glycolysis.

There are days when I feel so good about being a natural scientist!  angel
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:15:14 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »

I don't think it contradicts the modern theory of biological evolution. After all, the TBE does not address origins of life (it's a "vulgarization" of the TBE, of sorts, that tries to do that.) The TBE explains how life is being diversified, no matter what origins of it are.

I am also fascinated by the idea that this bacterium is an extraterrestrial. And there might be other forms of life that, possibly, are from other planet(s) - for example, hyperthermophilic Archaea like T. aquaticus, a microorganism that is capable of surviving and even replicating literally in boiling water (while "normal" proteins, including DNA polymerases necessary for DNA replication, are denatured at ~88-93 degrees Celsius); or bacteria like P. aeruginosa that produce pyruvic acid by running the so-called Entner-Doudoroff pathway of chemical reactions, rather than the conventional reactions of glycolysis.

I don't think anyone's saying anything contradicts TBE, but IF it were to have evolved independently of other life on earth (again, probably not the case), it would be an incredible discovery for the theory of abiogenesis, which would make it an even more impressive discovery since all current life we've observed at least seems likely to have come from one source (with a few possible exceptions like the ones you've listed), we have relatively few independent models to compare; more models in that regard would be profound for the study of that field as well as giving us a better idea of other potential models for life.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »

I don't think anyone's saying anything contradicts TBE, but IF it were to have evolved independently of other life on earth (again, probably not the case), it would be an incredible discovery for the theory of abiogenesis, which would make it an even more impressive discovery since all current life we've observed at least seems likely to have come from one source (with a few possible exceptions like the ones you've listed), we have relatively few independent models to compare; more models in that regard would be profound for the study of that field as well as giving us a better idea of other potential models for life.

If it were to be confirmed that this was another seperate occurrence of abiogenesis, this would give even more plausability to the existence of alien life forms. Perhaps the process is not as exclusive or rare as we previously thought?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »

If it were to be confirmed that this was another seperate occurrence of abiogenesis, this would give even more plausability to the existence of alien life forms.
When I first heard the rumors about a "new life form", I was thinking just that: an example of a life form that did not evolve from a shared common ancestor with eukaryotes/bacteria/archaea-bacteria. But the new life form is actually a bacterium. Plus, it's not even an archaea-bacterium (which includes bacteria that can live in salt lakes and hot springs), but a pretty regular bacterium (insofar as a bacterium that apparently can incorporate arsenic instead of phosphorus in its DNA may be called "regular"), in the same phylum as E. coli and Salmonella.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:37:40 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

Ah, then that makes arsenic the BCS-buster for the group of elements (CHONPS) considered essential for life-forms.  Now, all we need is a bacterium that can subsist on old lace!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »

Old lace?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Lace_(comics)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:38:24 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

Reference to a B&W comedy, Arsenic and Old Lace.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »

Reference to a B&W comedy, Arsenic and Old Lace.

Ya, I know, I think the comic name was actually based on that comedy as well... Kiss
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:09:05 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
mtgdude

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »

Couple of papers written on the subject.

Microbial Arsenic Metabolism: New Twists on an Old Poison

A Microbial Arsenic Cycle in a Salt-Saturated, Extreme Environment

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »

"This Paper Should Not Have Been Published"
Scientists see fatal flaws in the NASA study of arsenic-based life.
http://www.slate.com/id/2276919/

...Redfield, a microbiology professor at the University of British Columbia, blogged a scathing attack on Saturday. Over the weekend, a few other scientists took to the Internet as well. Was this merely a case of a few isolated cranks? To find out, I reached out to a dozen experts on Monday. Almost unanimously, they think the NASA scientists have failed to make their case. "It would be really cool if such a bug existed," said San Diego State University's Forest Rohwer, a microbiologist who looks for new species of bacteria and viruses in coral reefs. But, he added, "none of the arguments are very convincing on their own." That was about as positive as the critics could get. "This paper should not have been published," said Shelley Copley of the University of Colorado...

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

Peer review FTW... Roll Eyes
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print