OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Archbishop of Canterbury: Christianity 'under attack' in the U.K.  (Read 618 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »

Former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey said that Christianity in the United Kingdom is "in danger of being stealthily and subtly brushed aside."

From the article:
Carey is fronting a new campaign, "Not Ashamed," by the group Christian Concern. He launched it with appearances at the House of Lords, Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street, the prime minister's office.

Christian Concern encouraged people to wear crosses and "Not Ashamed" buttons Wednesday to promote the campaign.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

Good for him.  I wonder what the state of the Church of England would be now, if he were still the Archbishop of Canterbury?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »

Wait a second!  He's just figuring this out?  Where has he been the last 30 years?

When I lived in the UK 20 years ago, the Church of England was routinely mocked and lampooned on TV and radio.  The churches were empty.  Marriage was already on the decline.

Honestly, I'm shocked that he's just getting around to saying this.

Former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey said that Christianity in the United Kingdom is "in danger of being stealthily and subtly brushed aside."

From the article:
Carey is fronting a new campaign, "Not Ashamed," by the group Christian Concern. He launched it with appearances at the House of Lords, Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street, the prime minister's office.

Christian Concern encouraged people to wear crosses and "Not Ashamed" buttons Wednesday to promote the campaign.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

While I am sure he is a devout and honest man I can't believe that this all comes at any kind of realisation. It all feels like an attempt to put into action something a committee decided would be good. The U.K. has a population of whom over 70% described themself as Christian at the last census; perhaps the Church of England should make some attempt to communicate what this means.
Utter piffle.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »

I remember reading about this very phenomenon in the highly respected journal, DUH! Cheesy

Carey is like most Anglican Bishops who always realize the obvious way too late.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

Christianity under attack. News at 11.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »

From the article:

It seems as if the extreme secularists in the UK are using "a certain issue" to marginalize christians. And turn christians into 2nd class citizens. A form of Jim Crow if you will.

Sometimes I wonder if the extreme secularists in America will want to do the same?

In New England as well as in Washington D.C. we saw how they were using the issue against Roman Catholic institutions. And in New Jersey we saw how they were using the issue against the Methodists.

They are using it as a political weapon to marginalize us. Hmm, I wonder if they will try to get rid of the non liberal Christian Chaplins....if not all christian chaplins in the Army and in Congress because of this issue?

Also, will they prosecute us with hate crimes for speaking out on this issue? Will they threaten to take away our tax exempt status?

Yeah, it seems as if they are using this issue as a political weapon to criminalize us.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:31:35 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags: out of touch U.K.  controversy  society  Church of England oblivious asleep at the wheel 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: