OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:46:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: making home-made icon prints.  (Read 1058 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: December 02, 2010, 12:17:43 AM »

my Church calender is about finished, and I would like to cut out the icons, paste them on boards and have them blessed.  would this be OK?  are there any other ways of doing this?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:26:48 AM by Salpy » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:23 AM »

How to Decoupage Icon Prints...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,6434.0.html

Mount Icons on wood anyone?
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8177.0.html
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

my Church calender is about finished, and I would like to cut out the icons, paste them on boards and have them blessed.  would this be OK?  are there any other ways of doing this?

Of course it would be wonderful! We have had a Church School project for decades that has the children prepare a print of an icon, usually from a photograph within our Church, mount it, seal it , carry it into the Church in procesion to be blessed at the beginning of Liturgy on the Sunday of Orthodoxy where the Icons remain for the following week on a hand made wooden cross with hooks for hanging them up.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

Of course it would be wonderful! We have had a Church School project for decades that has the children prepare a print of an icon, usually from a photograph within our Church, mount it, seal it , carry it into the Church in procesion to be blessed at the beginning of Liturgy on the Sunday of Orthodoxy where the Icons remain for the following week on a hand made wooden cross with hooks for hanging them up.
wow, that's a wonderful idea!!!  perhapse when the kids in my Church's sunday school are a bit older, we'll have them do something like that.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Actually, this is precisely what my friend does, and they come out simply remarkable.  He puts them on sanded wood, then extra shellacs them on to make them permanent.  They are great Smiley

I also cut out the icons from my Tewahedo calendars, but I scan them and put them in my computer before framing them like my other prints.

I print mine on glossy photo paper (including many of those I emailed you) and put them in frames, or just tape them up on the wall like a high school kid's posters.  But, I have made my own iconostasis for personal devotion printing icons, and then shellacking them onto a large piece of ply wood that I sanded down.  Framing or shellacking the icons protects the ink on the print from flaking or getting scratched, and further adds a nice shine.

Making your own icons is like Noah building the ark, it is an act of devotion, active faith to build a stable worship and lifestyle grounded in faith and piety. 

Best of luck!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: icons decoupage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: