OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:59:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerry joins heretical service and communicats there!  (Read 2742 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: April 11, 2004, 04:52:40 AM »

And he takes the bread from a "priestess".

http://www.traditio.com/comment/com0404f.jpg

http://www.traditio.com/comment/com0404g.jpg
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 05:13:18 AM »

Haha LoL!!!

This is outragous!!!! But I guess I wouldn't expect anything less from a Democrat.  I'm just wondering when Kerry's going to make his rounds to all the Black Churches & when he'll start carring around a big fake bible with a big cross on it like Clinton did. Man, don't the Dems know how bad this looks to normal people.... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 04:50:57 PM »

I like the priestette's shoes.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tony

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 05:36:37 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Could it be possible that the "priestess" is actually a Eucharistic minister. I believe some RC parishes have vestments for EMs. Is there an article that accompanies these photos? I actually think it would be worse for Kerry to commune in an RC parish, since he is in flagrant disregard of the Catholic Church's doctrines on abortion and homosexuality than if he went to a prot service and "communed" there.

In Christ,
Anthony
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »

It should be noted that the source of the photos (tradio.com) is hardly a reliable source.  In fact it's pretty whacko.  And it's even it's more bizarre that it would be given any 'respect' on an Orthodox board given its position on the Orthodox.  

From the website:
"EASTERN RITE "OPTION"

The question comes up whether the Eastern Rites of the Church offer
any safe harbor in place of the Novus Ordo.

First of all, note that the Eastern rites are practiced both by the
Eastern Orthodox, who are schismatic from the Roman Catholic Church, and by
the Eastern Unitates, who are part of the Roman Catholic Church.

The liturgical scholar Fr. Adrian Fortescue once wrote:  "The
ruthless destruction of the ancient rites in favor of uniformity has been
the work not of Rome but of the schismatical patriarchs of Constantinople.
Since the thirteenth Century Constantinople in its attempt to make itself
the one center of the Orthodox Church has driven out the far more
venerable and ancient liturgies of Antioch and Alexandria and has
compelled all the Orthodox to use its own late derived rite."  ("Rites,"
Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol.  XIII, p. 66)

It is true now that the Eastern Rites are in worse shape than the
Western.  At one time the Easterns had apostolic rites, but many have now
fallen away from these, because of the constant wars and conquests of
invasion in the East (from which the Western Church has thankfully been
spared).  Many of these churches have given up their Apostolic rites and
liturgical languages to substitute a vernacularized, even concocted, worship
(as with the "Western Orthodox,"  a sham to lure Roman Catholics to cross the
fence into the Orthodox schism).  This is particularly true of the Eastern
rites in the United States.  The Uniates have the additional problem of
corruptions by Neo-Modernism introduced into their rites after Vatican
II.

There is the occasional church with an Eastern-rite liturgy that
has not been corrupted by history or Vatican II, but such a church is more
by far like the proverbial needle in the haystack than the Traditional
Latin Mass is!"

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 05:56:25 PM »

That's a funny statement for them to make.  They must have lost too many of their members to Eastern Catholicism.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 11:26:20 PM »

It should be noted that the source of the photos (tradio.com) is hardly a reliable source.  In fact it's pretty whacko.  

I think I saw these pictures from Reuters/AP/whatever via Yahoo!  Is that a reliable source?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 11:55:32 PM »

You "think" you saw the photos elsewhere?  What you "think" is not reliable.  All we know is that the photos in this thread are from a whacko site.  

Regardless I'm sure they're real photos but it's always questionable when posters get items from whacko sites.  
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 12:02:33 AM »

Very well, Jennifer.  

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040404/480/srs10404041934

I can sympathise with the notion that those whacko sites have it out for the post-conciliar RCC, and so should be taken with a good amount of salt, but I think some Catholics take advantage of this to disregard such reports when (in at least some cases) they can be verified through other, "independent" sources.  What they should be dealing with is not the whackos running the websites, but the people who give them their fodder.  Not everyone wants to do this.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 12:19:48 AM »

But the whacko sites shouldn't be given any credence.  I'm not just talking about traditional RC sites like tradio.  The web is full of whacko sites.  I do research for a living and we have very strict rules about citing anything from the internet.  

BTW, my own father always receives communion when he attends services at his sister's Episcopal church.  He's also a democrat so I guess we can assume he's an "enemy of Christianity" too.  Which is so funny given that he's the most Christian person I've ever known in my life.  I was on the phone with him tonight and he got another call from their elderly neighbor.  My dad visits all the old people in the neighborhood to check on them.  He doesn't think anything about it.  He doesn't think of it as 'charity,' he just does it.  I've only known a few people in my life who really "loved" other people in the way we're commanded to do and my father is one of them.  

But he receives communion at heretical services and voted for Bill Clinton so by all means, let's judge him.  Let's sit back at our little computers and feel all smug because *we* follow the canons.  *We* check republican on our ballots and by God that's the party of morality, I mean Michael Savage says so, right?  No gay marriage for us, by God!   What do we care about the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed?  That's just inconvenient.  Do their photos show up on Fox News?  Michael Savage will assuage our conscience by demonizing those democrats.  They're "evil," right?  They're for gay marriage and abortion.  

It's just all so freaking ridiculous!
Columcille

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 07:09:01 AM »

.  .  .  and voted for Bill Clinton so by all means, let's judge him.  Let's sit back at our little computers and feel all smug because *we* follow the canons.  *We* check republican on our ballots and by God that's the party of morality, I mean Michael Savage says so, right?  No gay marriage for us, by God!   What do we care about the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed?  That's just inconvenient.  Do their photos show up on Fox News?  Michael Savage will assuage our conscience by demonizing those democrats.  They're "evil," right?  They're for gay marriage and abortion.  

Jennifer, this is a pretty good description of me a couple of years ago.  At one time I was even a Limbaughista & Clinton hater.  But after this present administration some of the Democratic postitions don't look so bad.  In fact, in November I may be voting Democrat for the first time since 1972.

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 12:55:50 PM »

hey Jennifer, you are on the computer as much as everyone else, and you are judging everyone else just as much, so give it a rest.

Please Buy My Book!

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 01:00:54 PM »

I never said anyone was an "enemy of Christianity" or "evil."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 01:19:58 PM »

Yeah, but you said people were stupid, uneducated, ignorant, you judged them, and you make fun of people who are on their computers pontificating when you do the same thing.

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »

Just for the record, I don't want people calling Democrats enemies of Christianity or evil on this board.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 01:44:08 PM »

Who really cares where Kerry attends Easter services?  I don't.  Both candidates use religion and religious talk as political strategies.  I get the feeling Bush is more sincere, or even truly sincere.  However, being sincerely religious hardly makes one a good leader.

Kerry will not get my vote simply because I disagree with him on too many issues.  Bush is the man most likely to get my vote, but I have certain misgivings about him even though I voted for him in the previous election.  I may even abstain from voting.  I am pretty much fed up with the political scene in the U.S.  There is no dialogue--only demonizing the opponent--and both parties are perpetrators.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 01:49:34 PM »

A friend of mine suggested voting for Howdy Doody.  

He figures it will clear his conscience, even though the vote will probably end up being counted for Bush Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 02:51:10 PM »

Cast your vote for Patriarch Alexy II!
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 03:00:31 PM »

Yep I may be looking at being a conscientious objector from the upcoming elections, myself.  

I don't really care that Kerry took communion at the AME Church on Easter, by the way, I don't vote for or against Presidential candidates based on their religious practice.

B
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 03:02:47 PM »

I object to what Kerry did because it shows he doesn't care much about the integrity of his Catholic faith, but only attends church for political reasons (as if we didn't know that already). But why couldn't he just respectfully not go to communion because he's Catholic, not A.M.E.? What was the political benefit? Of course, as others have said, a candidate's religious practice, for better or worse, is not that important to how they actually would govern.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:03:57 PM by Frobie » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 07:53:06 PM »

But the whacko sites shouldn't be given any credence.  I'm not just talking about traditional RC sites like tradio.  The web is full of whacko sites.  I do research for a living and we have very strict rules about citing anything from the internet.  

BTW, my own father always receives communion when he attends services at his sister's Episcopal church.  He's also a democrat so I guess we can assume he's an "enemy of Christianity" too.  Which is so funny given that he's the most Christian person I've ever known in my life.  I was on the phone with him tonight and he got another call from their elderly neighbor.  My dad visits all the old people in the neighborhood to check on them.  He doesn't think anything about it.  He doesn't think of it as 'charity,' he just does it.  I've only known a few people in my life who really "loved" other people in the way we're commanded to do and my father is one of them.  

But he receives communion at heretical services and voted for Bill Clinton so by all means, let's judge him.  Let's sit back at our little computers and feel all smug because *we* follow the canons.  *We* check republican on our ballots and by God that's the party of morality, I mean Michael Savage says so, right?  No gay marriage for us, by God!   What do we care about the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed?  That's just inconvenient.  Do their photos show up on Fox News?  Michael Savage will assuage our conscience by demonizing those democrats.  They're "evil," right?  They're for gay marriage and abortion.  

It's just all so freaking ridiculous!  

What on earth are you talking about, Jennifer?  Only your first paragraph has any relevance to the point I raised.  I have no reason to believe or disbelieve your opinion of your father, and I don't care; he's not the issue.  Your last paragraph is just a rant that, because you included it in a response to my point, I wonder whether it was directed at me as well.  I don't know why I fall under your anathema, not being conscious of having demonstrated myself to be the kind of person you rail against, but again, I don't care.  I have to wonder, however, why you are quick to correct people for pontificating their POV as, for example, "the [only true] Christian POV", but then pontificate your own POV as the only POV of intelligent, educated people.    

Regarding my original point...    

Whacko sites shouldn't be given any credence?  I don't know.  I'm not advocating citing such sites in research or for other similar purposes, but I don't think you should in all cases dismiss them without qualification.  I've seen at least two examples of things cited on whacko sites which didn't receive much attention in the "normal sites" until later; simply because they appeared on whacko sites, they were dismissed, even though later they were demonstrated to be true.  I think a great deal of discretion is needed when dealing with such sites, as well as time and patience (to further investigate the charge), but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.  I don't think Kerry communing in a Protestant church is any less true because Traditio reported it, or because I couldn't immediately remember where I saw the picture in the more mainstream media, just as I don't immediately suspect you of lying in another thread about comments O'Reilly made regarding Vietnam just because you could not give the exact day on which you heard it and because you don't share his political POV; discretion, time, and patience.

Of course, what defines "whacko" and "mainstream" is another issue altogether, but I'm not interested in getting into that.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 08:13:44 PM »

Mor, you know I wasn't directing my "rant" at you.  

BTW, I don't think that my POV is the only one of "intelligent, educated people" however I do believe that "intelligent, educated people" did not engage in certain kinds of debates.  We don't write "liberalism is a mental disease."  We don't write "communist news network" or "demoncrat."  

Sure there are cases where the whacko sites 'scoop' the non-whacko sites but I'm certain there are more examples of whacko sites publicizing things that aren't true so one would be well to stay away from whacko sites and if one feels the 'need' to visit whacko sites one should not share the "news" from there.  Sure a stopped clock can be right 2 times a day but what does that mean?  The whacko sites are wrong much more than they're right.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 10:56:38 PM »

BTW, I don't think that my POV is the only one of "intelligent, educated people" however I do believe that "intelligent, educated people" did not engage in certain kinds of debates.  We don't write "liberalism is a mental disease."  We don't write "communist news network" or "demoncrat."  

So I guess I'm uneducated if I think that liberalism is a mental disease. By the way Jenny, that is more of a joke if you didn't get it by now. It's a means of expressing how outragous some of the positions the democrats take. I can see that your really get choked up over it & red in the face because you keep bringing it up.

I object to what Kerry did because it shows he doesn't care much about the integrity of his Catholic faith, but only attends church for political reasons (as if we didn't know that already). But why couldn't he just respectfully not go to communion because he's Catholic, not A.M.E.? What was the political benefit? Of course, as others have said, a candidate's religious practice, for better or worse, is not that important to how they actually would govern.

I am of the opinion that Kerry has no faith at all in Christ, or verry little.  I know some in here may have a knee jerk reaction to what I said, but his actions speak more truth than his confession of faith. I think he does what many northeastern liberal democrats do, they use the Catholic church as a means of political gain. It also just came out that Kerry never recieved an annullment from his first wife. It's an abomination just on that premise that he still continues to recieve communion. The Catholic bishops are going to meet soon to decide the fate of so called catholic politicians that dissent from church teachings. I have the feeling that they will do the right thing and either excommunicate politicians like Kerry, or at the very least have them abstain from taking the eucharist until they have a change of heart.  This could be a big issue in the upcoming presidential election and will put alot of heat on Kerry to either shape up or ship out.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 11:15:28 PM »

Mor, you know I wasn't directing my "rant" at you.

I'm sure it's directed towards me because I must be the big mean Conservative on the board.  Grin

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2004, 12:48:12 AM »

So I guess I'm uneducated if I think that liberalism is a mental disease. By the way Jenny, that is more of a joke if you didn't get it by now. It's a means of expressing how outragous some of the positions the democrats take.

It's Jennifer, not Jenny.  

I can see that your really get choked up over it & red in the face because you keep bringing it up. I am of the opinion that Kerry has no faith at all in Christ, or verry little.  I know some in here may have a knee jerk reaction to what I said, but his actions speak more truth than his confession of faith.

You have absolutely no right to conclude that he has "no faith in Christ" simply because he disagrees with you about political issues.  I know some very commited Christians who believe in gay marriage and that abortion should be legal.  I'm sure you would deny their "faith in Christ" too.  

I think he does what many northeastern liberal democrats do, they use the Catholic church as a means of political gain.

You "think" that but how do you know that?  You have all sorts of opinions (remember when I tried to explain to you the difference between fact and opinion?) that are based on nothing on emotion.  BTW, I notice that you have yet to acknowledge Keble's post about how your claims about Kerry's post-Vietnam activities are not substantiated.  Although I know facts are inconvenient for you so I'm not expecting anything more than "well I just think...."

It also just came out that Kerry never recieved an annullment from his first wife. It's an abomination just on that premise that he still continues to recieve communion.

He's wrong.  No one is saying otherwise.  With your feelings towards Bush bordering on worship you can't understand how other people can support politicians without "loving" them.  

The Catholic bishops are going to meet soon to decide the fate of so called catholic politicians that dissent from church teachings. I have the feeling that they will do the right thing and either excommunicate politicians like Kerry, or at the very least have them abstain from taking the eucharist until they have a change of heart.  This could be a big issue in the upcoming presidential election and will put alot of heat on Kerry to either shape up or ship out.

So what you'd prefer is a Protestant (fundamentalist to boot) over a not perfect Catholic?  I think another poster (Brendan perhaps?) elaborated on this issue in greater detail so I refer you to his well written post although I don't expect you to have a change of heart because politics to you is like a football game.  Go team go!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 01:04:10 AM »

I think enough has been said on this issue. I am closing the thread.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: