OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 08:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sigh...Family Troubles  (Read 5074 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »

Helo everyone

I'm in need of some help if possible, this is my story:

My Partner and I are having our first child and we are having problems with regards into which religion we will raise them as.

Now the problem is I'm Serbian Orthodox and my Partner is a Catholic. The problem is my wife is a devout Catholic who is quite pious (goes to church every week and makes me come with her to her church), and myself on the other hand, whilst I do believe in God and call my self Christian I guess I'm not as pious as she is. Anyways, As I'm sure some of you might know, my parents equate being Serbian with Being Orthodox and are pressuring me to baptize the child as such (according to them if I were to baptize the child catholic they would consider her Croatian >.<, (My child is half Serbian from my side, and a quarter English a quarter Shri'lankan from my wife's side). My wife on the other hand is also pressuring me to baptize the child Catholic. Now I do not mind either way really as both would be baptism's and in devotion to God, but I'm quite stuck with my parents pressing me and being quite suggestive that if I don't baptize the child Orthodox they might as well disown me...quite literally not be in our life anymore at all.

We still haven't had a proper talk with them yet since the child is due in four months, I seriously do not know what do do anymore and its eating me inside because I do not want my parents to disassociate with me, and on the other hand I do not want my wife to bear a life of hurt because I denied her the one thing that makes her who she is...she is after all carrying the child and is going through all the pains herself. In any case I have a difficult decision ahead of me and I was wondering weather some kind person has had a similar experience before and could offer advice.

Cheers

Open your bible.

The woman will submit herself to her husband as a man submits himself to God.

She should obey you.  Period.

I know that sounds harsh, but she is commanded to.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »

Roll Eyes

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »

Helo everyone

I'm in need of some help if possible, this is my story:

My Partner and I are having our first child and we are having problems with regards into which religion we will raise them as.

Now the problem is I'm Serbian Orthodox and my Partner is a Catholic. The problem is my wife is a devout Catholic who is quite pious (goes to church every week and makes me come with her to her church), and myself on the other hand, whilst I do believe in God and call my self Christian I guess I'm not as pious as she is. Anyways, As I'm sure some of you might know, my parents equate being Serbian with Being Orthodox and are pressuring me to baptize the child as such (according to them if I were to baptize the child catholic they would consider her Croatian >.<, (My child is half Serbian from my side, and a quarter English a quarter Shri'lankan from my wife's side). My wife on the other hand is also pressuring me to baptize the child Catholic. Now I do not mind either way really as both would be baptism's and in devotion to God, but I'm quite stuck with my parents pressing me and being quite suggestive that if I don't baptize the child Orthodox they might as well disown me...quite literally not be in our life anymore at all.

We still haven't had a proper talk with them yet since the child is due in four months, I seriously do not know what do do anymore and its eating me inside because I do not want my parents to disassociate with me, and on the other hand I do not want my wife to bear a life of hurt because I denied her the one thing that makes her who she is...she is after all carrying the child and is going through all the pains herself. In any case I have a difficult decision ahead of me and I was wondering weather some kind person has had a similar experience before and could offer advice.

Cheers

Open your bible.

The woman will submit herself to her husband as a man submits himself to God.

She should obey you.  Period.

I know that sounds harsh, but she is commanded to.

LOL!

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »

Classic bibliolatry.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »

^^ What you three don't agree with the idea or how it was stated?

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »

I disagree with how it was stated and his version of the idea. But I especially disagree with the idea that the biblical injunction for wives to submit to their husbands includes renouncing one's religion. By that logic, we should permit the husbands of women who become Orthodox to force their wives back into their previous faith.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

I disagree with how it was stated and his version of the idea. But I especially disagree with the idea that the biblical injunction for wives to submit to their husbands includes renouncing one's religion. By that logic, we should permit the husbands of women who become Orthodox to force their wives back into their previous faith.

If a woman is willing to marry a man shouldn't she be willing to take his religion? Otherwise how can two truly be one? Per your example I would hope an Orthodox woman wouldn't be looking for a husband in non-orthodox men. Yes many Orthodox marry non-orthodox but I think this should be avoided; it's in no way ideal. There is always hope they'll convert but then you're marrying someone you hope they'll be, not who they actually are.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »

If a woman is willing to marry a man shouldn't she be willing to take his religion? Otherwise how can two truly be one? Per your example I would hope an Orthodox woman wouldn't be looking for a husband in non-orthodox men. Yes many Orthodox marry non-orthodox but I think this should be avoided; it's in no way ideal. There is always hope they'll convert but then you're marrying someone you hope they'll be, not who they actually are.

Sometimes women convert to Orthodoxy after they get married, but the spouse remains part of her former religion.  It would be horrible to tell those women they should "submit" to their husband in matters of faith.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »

Sometimes women convert to Orthodoxy after they get married, but the spouse remains part of her former religion.  It would be horrible to tell those women they should "submit" to their husband in matters of faith.

Well that would be applying the law of the church to someone who is outside of the church, which wouldn't make sense. The Bible is for those inside the church.

Malina

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

To make a right decision is not easy at all issues especially in disagreements.
I advise pray to God sincerely and fully and you will receive an answer.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »

Orthodoxy or death. This is why I'm not marrying outside of Orthodoxy; to avoid these types of confusions.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags: family  kids  children  religion 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: