OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 11:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to be married in Orthodox church but i was marry before in Catholic  (Read 1921 times) Average Rating: 0
kotik

Faith: catholic before now Orthodox

« on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:29 AM »

Hello,

I was married 6 years by the Catholic church and 4 years before i was divorced (Civil), but now i have problems for get divorced from church because Catholic church ask for many things to do a eclesiastic process and ask for very much money for do this process and they do not know if the process can proceed or not.

Now i marry again and my wife is Orthodox and i like very much the Orthodox rules and i want to become Orthodox, but i want to know for marry again if Orthodox church has a process to divorced me from Catholic and take me in Orthodox for do my marry ritual.

Can you please help me and let me know how can i do this?

thanks in advance and god bless you!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:24:13 AM »

It depends on which Orthodox Church receives you, as they have different rules for reception. I think that the Russian Church recognizes certain Roman Catholic sacraments and does not repeat them. In the strictest and most traditional interpretation, if you want to become Orthodox then you will be baptized into the Orthodox Church and at the time of baptism all sins are washed away, and the previous marriage is not recognized as an Orthodox sacrament. So I think in this situation the new marriage would be treated as your first marriage.

That being said, you certainly should not do this out of convenience, but because you believe the Orthodox Church to be the True Church. If this is done to save money and time from an expensive process in the Roman Catholic Church, then the Orthodox priest should see this as suspicious and might question your reception.

At any rate, there is certainly no tricking God with technicalities between churches. This is a delicate pastoral issue and your wife's Orthodox priest should be the one that you talk about this with.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:24:27 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »

I thought In A Catholic Marrage the Couple Marries themselves and the priest is only a wittiness, so How can
Holy Orthodoxy recognize this type of marrage as a authentic marrage..... Huh Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »

I thought In A Catholic Marrage the Couple Marries themselves and the priest is only a wittiness, so How can
Holy Orthodoxy recognize this type of marrage as a authentic marrage..... Huh Huh

That is why the Catholic Church recognizes non-Catholic Christian marriages as a sacrament, since they occur by two baptized persons.

However, between Latin Catholics, the marriage is not valid unless it is held under the aegis of the Catholic Church (the priest and two witnesses). So my parents' "marriage" in a Methodist church, without the assent of their Catholic bishop, was invalid.

Eastern Catholic marriages follow the Orthodox way.

-

As for the original poster, since Orthodoxy generally allows re-marriage, I'm not sure if there is a serious impediment. At the very least he could get a penitential second wedding. Am I right?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »

That is why the Catholic Church recognizes non-Catholic Christian marriages as a sacrament, since they occur by two baptized persons.

However, between Latin Catholics, the marriage is not valid unless it is held under the aegis of the Catholic Church (the priest and two witnesses). So my parents' "marriage" in a Methodist church, without the assent of their Catholic bishop, was invalid.

Eastern Catholic marriages follow the Orthodox way.

-

As for the original poster, since Orthodoxy generally allows re-marriage, I'm not sure if there is a serious impediment. At the very least he could get a penitential second wedding. Am I right?
Depends on the circumstances of the divorce. 

To the OP: where are you located?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
kotik

Faith: catholic before now Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »

Hello!

God bless to all for respond my message!.

I read all what you kindly wrote and i only have this question:

I will become Orthodox Russia Patriarcat, but the specific question is if i become Orthodox (bautizm) and after time i marry in Orthodox church, i know if i have the previos link (catholic marry link) i always live in sin (pecado) and this means my new life could be not good. There is one procees to clean me from the previous marry on broken the previous link?, some pray or do some in Orthodox church to have a new life and live with my wife 100% good?, i am afraid to have always this previous catholic link.

thank you for your kind and warm words.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

Is it possible you could speak to your (Orthodox) priest and ask to make a Confession?

I hope this is helpful.  angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:31 AM »

Hello!

God bless to all for respond my message!.

I read all what you kindly wrote and i only have this question:

I will become Orthodox Russia Patriarcat, but the specific question is if i become Orthodox (bautizm) and after time i marry in Orthodox church, i know if i have the previos link (catholic marry link) i always live in sin (pecado) and this means my new life could be not good. There is one procees to clean me from the previous marry on broken the previous link?, some pray or do some in Orthodox church to have a new life and live with my wife 100% good?, i am afraid to have always this previous catholic link.

thank you for your kind and warm words.
You have told the priest who is going to baptize you?  If he is aware, he should assess the situation of your previous marriage. Once that is done and you are received and baptized, you would be free to marry, as if you were not free to marry they would deal with that and not baptize you.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: