Author Topic: Ukrainian Canadians commemorate victims of 1930s starvation  (Read 1009 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Ukrainian Canadians commemorate victims of 1930s starvation
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
On Saturday, in Winnipeg, Canada, hundreds came to City Hall to pay tribute to those who had died in the 1930s starvation that caused millions of deaths in Ukraine.

From the article:
A memorial service to mark the 78th anniversary of the Holodomor — a genocide committed by the Stalin regime in Soviet Union, killing what’s believed to have been seven million to 10 million Ukrainians — was held in front of the Main Street complex, where a monument stands to mark the tragedy.

“They invite the community to come and light a candle in memory of those who perished during the famine,” Denys Volkov told the Winnipeg Sun while standing in the crowd, as Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic church leaders led the ceremony.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
Re: Ukrainian Canadians commemorate victims of 1930s starvation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »
On Saturday, in Winnipeg, Canada, hundreds came to City Hall to pay tribute to those who had died in the 1930s starvation that caused millions of deaths in Ukraine.

From the article:
A memorial service to mark the 78th anniversary of the Holodomor — a genocide committed by the Stalin regime in Soviet Union, killing what’s believed to have been seven million to 10 million Ukrainians — was held in front of the Main Street complex, where a monument stands to mark the tragedy.

“They invite the community to come and light a candle in memory of those who perished during the famine,” Denys Volkov told the Winnipeg Sun while standing in the crowd, as Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic church leaders led the ceremony.

In Ukraine, very many people commemorated the Holodomor, too. There were Orthodox panakhydas in thousands of parishes all over the country. Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholics had their services, too. In Kyiv, many thousands of candles were lit at the entrance to the Holodomor memorial. (Those people who are my Facebook friends can see that my wife and I also lit a candle on our window sill, and I wrote the name of my relative who perished during the Holodomor.)
Love never fails.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Ukrainians worldwide commemorated the Holodomor.

This was interesting.  The Wikileaks scandal apparently leaked that Russia is manipulating various governments in order to cover up their involvement in the genocide.

http://kyivscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/holodomor-wikileaks-and-russias-single.html

"[Prince Andrew] stated the following story related to him recently by Azerbaijan’s President Aliyev. Aliyev had received a letter from President Medvedev telling him that if Azerbaijan supported the designation of the Bolshevik artificial famine in Ukraine as 'genocide' at the United Nations, 'then you can forget about seeing Nagorno-Karabakh ever again.' Prince Andrew added that every single other regional President had told him of receiving similar 'directive' letters from Medvedev except for Bakiyev."

Nice.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »

Molitve.......

Lord Have mercy...Amen Amen

Memory Eternal to Russians and Ukrainians , that perished in
that Famine of 1930s.......Amen Amen

Blessed Rest Grant them Holy and Blessed Lord.....Amen Amen
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.