OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Canadians commemorate victims of 1930s starvation  (Read 871 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »

On Saturday, in Winnipeg, Canada, hundreds came to City Hall to pay tribute to those who had died in the 1930s starvation that caused millions of deaths in Ukraine.

From the article:
A memorial service to mark the 78th anniversary of the Holodomor — a genocide committed by the Stalin regime in Soviet Union, killing what’s believed to have been seven million to 10 million Ukrainians — was held in front of the Main Street complex, where a monument stands to mark the tragedy.

“They invite the community to come and light a candle in memory of those who perished during the famine,” Denys Volkov told the Winnipeg Sun while standing in the crowd, as Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic church leaders led the ceremony.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

On Saturday, in Winnipeg, Canada, hundreds came to City Hall to pay tribute to those who had died in the 1930s starvation that caused millions of deaths in Ukraine.

From the article:
A memorial service to mark the 78th anniversary of the Holodomor — a genocide committed by the Stalin regime in Soviet Union, killing what’s believed to have been seven million to 10 million Ukrainians — was held in front of the Main Street complex, where a monument stands to mark the tragedy.

“They invite the community to come and light a candle in memory of those who perished during the famine,” Denys Volkov told the Winnipeg Sun while standing in the crowd, as Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic church leaders led the ceremony.

In Ukraine, very many people commemorated the Holodomor, too. There were Orthodox panakhydas in thousands of parishes all over the country. Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholics had their services, too. In Kyiv, many thousands of candles were lit at the entrance to the Holodomor memorial. (Those people who are my Facebook friends can see that my wife and I also lit a candle on our window sill, and I wrote the name of my relative who perished during the Holodomor.)

Love never fails.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Ukrainians worldwide commemorated the Holodomor.

This was interesting.  The Wikileaks scandal apparently leaked that Russia is manipulating various governments in order to cover up their involvement in the genocide.

http://kyivscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/holodomor-wikileaks-and-russias-single.html

"[Prince Andrew] stated the following story related to him recently by Azerbaijan’s President Aliyev. Aliyev had received a letter from President Medvedev telling him that if Azerbaijan supported the designation of the Bolshevik artificial famine in Ukraine as 'genocide' at the United Nations, 'then you can forget about seeing Nagorno-Karabakh ever again.' Prince Andrew added that every single other regional President had told him of receiving similar 'directive' letters from Medvedev except for Bakiyev."

Nice.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »

Molitve.......

Lord Have mercy...Amen Amen

Memory Eternal to Russians and Ukrainians , that perished in
that Famine of 1930s.......Amen Amen

Blessed Rest Grant them Holy and Blessed Lord.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags: genocide  starvation  Ukrainian  Christian  Winnipeg  Canada 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: