OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread tagging  (Read 446 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: November 28, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

Is it possible to add a tag in a thread which redirects the person to another specific thread when clicked? If so, how is it done?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »

When you click on a tag it will give you a list of all threads with the same tag. It can occasionally find related threads around here, but for tags to really be useful there needs to be some sort of established convention, which doesn't exist on OC.net. You're better off using search.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »

Dealing with so many of these tags myself, I almost have to think that it would be best if only a few--let's say, the moderators--added tags to threads, since the knowledge of similar threads so necessary for effective tag placement is so difficult to acquire in a short time. AISI, tags exist for little other reason than to guide us to other discussions of similar subjects. Most tags, especially the ones that start with a whitespace character because the poster entered tags in a space-delimited list, end up going nowhere.

That's just my personal opinion, though, so take it FWIW.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »

Dealing with so many of these tags myself, I almost have to think that it would be best if only a few--let's say, the moderators--added tags to threads, since the knowledge of similar threads so necessary for effective tag placement is so difficult to acquire in a short time. AISI, tags exist for little other reason than to guide us to other discussions of similar subjects. Most tags, especially the ones that start with a whitespace character because the poster entered tags in a space-delimited list, end up going nowhere.

That's one suggestion, but are the moderators going to want to spend their time categorizing every thread on OC.net? But regardless of who does the tagging, for it to be useful someone would need to go to the trouble of creating a list of preferred terms, standard conventions for names, etc. For example, if you have a thread on Chrysostom, it could be tagged 'Chrysostom', 'John Chrysostom', 'St. Chrysostom', 'St. John Chrysostom', 'Saint Chrysostom', 'Saint John Chrysostom', etc. and the abbreviation St. could be with or without the period and if it's case sensitive (guessing not, but not sure, last I checked and it's been a while SMF ran on Linux which is case sensitive by default) there are a bunch more problems, I'm guessing that using any two of those tags will ensure the pages don't link to each other.

Tagging works best with a list of pre-defined codes, but that's not always practical for open ended topics of discussion.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »

I didn't know that threads with the same tag linked them. Thanks.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:23:31 PM »

That's one suggestion, but are the moderators going to want to spend their time categorizing every thread on OC.net?
It doesn't have to be just the moderators. I mentioned them specifically only to give an example. The point is that the tagging may be done better by those who have been here awhile and know our thread history pretty well.

But regardless of who does the tagging, for it to be useful someone would need to go to the trouble of creating a list of preferred terms, standard conventions for names, etc. For example, if you have a thread on Chrysostom, it could be tagged 'Chrysostom', 'John Chrysostom', 'St. Chrysostom', 'St. John Chrysostom', 'Saint Chrysostom', 'Saint John Chrysostom', etc. and the abbreviation St. could be with or without the period and if it's case sensitive (guessing not, but not sure, last I checked and it's been a while SMF ran on Linux which is case sensitive by default) there are a bunch more problems, I'm guessing that using any two of those tags will ensure the pages don't link to each other.

Tagging works best with a list of pre-defined codes, but that's not always practical for open ended topics of discussion.
You have my agreement on everything else you say here.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:23:53 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: