OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy, our place in the universe and other lifes  (Read 403 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:06 AM »

What is the Orthodox take on the 'center' of the universe and of other life, let me explain.

If we live on a planet that isn't exactly center in the universe, does that mean our own significance that we place upon ourselves isn't valid? What about other forms of life on other planets, would that go against the very nature of God and His people?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:04 AM »

This has always been a question that has come up in my mind from time to time. I mean, its a big universe. The discovery of even something as small as bacteria can be ground breaking and shows that life has been created outside our planet. What of the possibility of more complex life forms (perhaps animal-like or maybe more)? I don't believe that UFO are from outer space or any of the stuff associated with it but I've always wondered about the possibility of other life forms.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »

We are the center of the universe in a spiritual sense.  The fact that we aren't in a physical sense should force us to direct our lives in a spiritual manner, as I believe that is God's intention.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »

How can you find the center of something that is infinitely large?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »

You are already the center, because you have put on Christ.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: