OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:24:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Asks Patriarch of Constantinople for Regular Contacts  (Read 1863 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: December 02, 2002, 05:30:19 PM »

Pope Asks Patriarch of Constantinople for Regular Contacts
Sends Message to Orthodox Leader on Feast of St. Andrew

VATICAN CITY, DEC. 1, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II asked Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, "first among equals" among the Orthodox, to maintain more regular contacts, in order to arrive more rapidly at full communion.

The proposal was expressed in a papal message given to the Orthodox leader by Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. The message was relayed Saturday, feast of St. Andrew, patron of the ecumenical patriarchate.

The cardinal handed over the message at the end of the Sacred Liturgy, presided over by Bartholomew I, in Fanar, the see of the patriarchate. The gesture will be returned by the patriarchate, which will send an Orthodox delegation to Rome on June 29, the feast of St. Peter, brother of the Apostle Andrew.

The memory of the two saints, "invites us to seek together, day after day, full communion to carry out our common mission of reconciliation in God and to promote an authentic peaceful and Christian spirit, in a world marked by tragic divisions and armed conflicts," the papal message explained.

The quest for unity led John Paul II to propose to the Orthodox patriarch "more frequent forms of communication and regular and reciprocal exchanges among ourselves to make our relations more harmonious and to coordinate our common efforts more effectively."

The Holy Father said he shared Bartholomew I's profound desire to "relaunch the theological dialogue to reach a new phase, following the uncertainties, difficulties and hesitations of the last decade."

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 05:53:39 PM »

I seem to have got the idea from somewhere that the Catholic Church is financially helping the patriarch of Constantinople, basically keeping him from being pipe-bombed out of Istanbul.

Is that true?

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 06:17:18 PM »

[I seem to have got the idea from somewhere that the Catholic Church is financially helping the patriarch of Constantinople, basically keeping him from being pipe-bombed out of Istanbul.

Is that true?]

NO!  What RC progaganda website did you get that from Serge?  However, you have pin pointed on the main reason that the GOA here in America will never be part of an American autocephaleous Church.  

The cash flow that keeps the pipe bombs in check comes fom the world wide Greek diasporia.  Mainly North America rather tan Rome.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 06:58:50 PM »

[I seem to have got the idea from somewhere that the Catholic Church is financially helping the patriarch of Constantinople, basically keeping him from being pipe-bombed out of Istanbul.

Is that true?]

NO!  What RC progaganda website did you get that from Serge?  However, you have pin pointed on the main reason that the GOA here in America will never be part of an American autocephaleous Church.  

The cash flow that keeps the pipe bombs in check comes fom the world wide Greek diasporia.  Mainly North America rather tan Rome.

Orthodoc

I'm not so sure about that, Orthodoc.  Many in the GOA, including some hierarchs, would like to be free of the EP and part of an autocephalous American Orthodox Church.  Because of their sheer numbers in relationship with the membership numbers of other jurisdictions, however, I think you'd find many members of the GOA calling for the primate of an autocephalous American Church to be *Greek* (or at the very least, a Greek-American) as a pre-condition to their being included in a present autocephaly, such as the OCA.

Hypo-Ortho
Tags: Pope ecumenism Greek Orthodox Ecumenical Dialogue Patriarch Bartholomew I Pope John Paul II Ecumenical Patriarch 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: