OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:43:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this forum and looking into Orthodoxy  (Read 764 times) Average Rating: 0
inquiring_mind

Faith: Seeker

« on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

Hello,

I am new to this forum, (this is my first post) and I am also looking into Orthodoxy. I am from non-christian background (moderately religious to irreligious/culturally religious family), became atheist during my early college years.

I have been yearning for a spiritual path for some years now and after long search into various faiths/denominations, am considering Orthodox faith. I have researched online, including goarch.org, antiochian archdiocese website and other parish websites.

I am not sure, and feel a bit confused (as in what is the right step for me), though I feel drawn to Orthodox Christianity.

Just my thoughts and greetings.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:54 PM »

Greetings from a fellow inquirer.  The topic can be a bit overwhelming, but I don't think your confusion is atypical.

Have you found or contacted any parishes near you?  Some may offer inquiry classes or a chance to meet with clergy.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »

Welcome! Glad to see you here.   Grin
inquiring_mind

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »

I have contacted an Antiochian parish (priest) close to my home, haven't visited yet. There is also a Greek Orthodox church close by, however their website does not mention anything about converts or inquirers (another greek orthodox church is far (20-25 miles), but does offer classes for inquirers).

I plan to visit the Antiochian parish as it is close to home. I dont know what to expect, how formal or informal this class is, etc. However I suppose, I'll find out once I visit.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:02:53 PM by inquiring_mind » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »

Glad to hear that you've taken those steps, and I hope the visit to the Antiochian parish goes well.

I'm sure the format and formality of classes varies, but mine was relaxed and welcoming.  A lot of information covered can be found in books or online, but the priests' insight and tangential discussions have been quite remarkable.  Hopefully your visit and classes will be as rewarding.

Most in my class are currently Christian, looking to "embrace" Orthodoxy.  I am not among this majority, and although my position may pose additional or different hurdles from others, it has been a great experience.  Again, I'm not implying that this will be the case at the parish near you, but I just wanted to provide some additional information regarding a similar situation.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Attend a nearby liturgy when you can, because as helpful as the internet can be it is not the real thing.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »

Hello,

I am new to this forum, (this is my first post) and I am also looking into Orthodoxy. I am from non-christian background (moderately religious to irreligious/culturally religious family), became atheist during my early college years.

I have been yearning for a spiritual path for some years now and after long search into various faiths/denominations, am considering Orthodox faith. I have researched online, including goarch.org, antiochian archdiocese website and other parish websites.

I am not sure, and feel a bit confused (as in what is the right step for me), though I feel drawn to Orthodox Christianity.

Just my thoughts and greetings.

Welcome!

If I may ask, what was your family's cultural religion? Where are you located?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:39:43 AM »

Welcome! May the Spirit of God bless you mightily during your time here.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

Welcome! I myself came to Orthodox Christianity from ethical Buddhism. I was an agnostic and, previous to that, an athiest. (Marxist father, non-religious mother.) I studied comparative religion for years, and nothing excited me as much as discovering Eastern Orthodoxy; it's is vastly different from Western Christianity--you're going to love it.

Start visiting local churches to find one you feel comfortable in. Then, attend as regularly as you can. The Antiochians and OCA are more open to converts--at least, in my experience. Start there.

And read Kallistos Ware's book, "The Orthodox Way." It's a good, broad picture of the church's theology.

inquiring_mind

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.

@ialmisry: I am from Hindu background. Live in Houston.

@sainthieu: Ive come across "The Orthodox way", hope to get hold of it (at local public library).
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: