OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 09:46:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Rock  (Read 39268 times) Average Rating: 0
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« on: April 06, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »

Well, I'm not a fan of so-called Contemporary Christian music. I was wondering if anyone here were fans of Contemporary Christian music.  

I'll express my reasons why later, I'm curious about what others think first.

PZ. Smiley
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:29:42 PM »

Most of it is just cheap ersatz for secular music
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 01:40:03 PM »

Except for a few simple "hymns" with texts taken straight from the Scriptures, I don't care for it.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 01:41:40 PM »

I don't care for it at all.  I don't have a theological reason not to (if I thought about it I would probably come up with something) but rather purely asthetical.  I can't stand modern music, rock most of all.

I much prefer more classical music and I love chant.

JOe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »

There's some good Christian metal out there. Tourniquet (who not too long ago released a new album) at the top of the list. They're a thrash band I'd put up against Metallica any day (and I used to be a major Metallica mark). Early Deliverance for more thrash, though not as good as Tourniquet. Underoath if you like the heavier stuff. Six Feet Deep if you like a hardcore/groove metal. Even early Whitecross if you happen to like that high-pitched early 80's metal style. The lyrics are all of questionable theological precision, but they're heartfelt, and I'd rather listen to people singing about how they love Christ and are trying to be good Christians than to listen to most of the alternatives.

Oddly enough, I can think of theological reasons for not listening to metal. More than half a dozen, actually. But it's all subjective. Music that might whip one person into a frenzy (making him want to get into a mosh pit), for another person relieves tension. Music (let's say, classical) that might have a profound spiritual influence on someone, might bore another person and put them to sleep. For my own part, some of the theological reasons against metal are valid in my own life. But having tried to go without such music for well over a year, I can safely say that it's better (for me at least) to get a little dirty with Christian Metal, than to get really muddy without it.

It is better both to attain the good and to keep the purification. But if it be impossible to do both it is surely better to be a little stained with your public affairs than to fall altogether short of grace; just as I think it better to undergo a slight punishment from father or master than to be put out of doors; and to be a little beamed upon than to be left in total darkness. And it is the part of wise men to choose, as in good things the greater and more perfect, so in evils the lesser and lighter. Wherefore do not overmuch dread the purification. For our success is always judged by comparison with our place in life by our just and merciful Judge; and often one who is in public life and has had small success has had a greater reward than one who in the enjoyment of liberty has not completely succeeded; as I think it more marvellous for a man to advance a little in fetters, than for one to run who is not carrying any weight; or to be only a little spattered in walking through mud, than to be perfectly clean when the road is clean. - St. Gregory the Theologian, Oration 40, 19

PS. I should add that Christian Rock isn't that much different than Secular Rock as far as quality. Probably 1% of both secular and Christian bands are really good. The difference is that when it comes to secular, that 1% comes out to like 500 bands in the history of rock, since 50,000 bands have tried. When it comes to Christians, though, maybe only 5,000 bands have tried, so there's maybe 50 good Christian bands. And while there are good secular bands who very few have heard about, because of the nature of the music business, there's even more Christian bands who people have never heard about. Thus, it seems (to those who have never really looked hard) that Christian bands suck. They don't. If someone puts an effort into finding good Christian bands (in every genre), they will find them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 02:04:35 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
theodore

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 02:39:58 PM »

In regards to contemporary Christian music, I would recommend the group "Eikona", which I seem to recall is made up of 4 women who are wives of Greek Orthodox priests.  I've seen them perform and have a couple of their CDs.  Good stuff, blending chants, etc, with more contemporary sounds.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 05:24:13 PM »

I was subjected to a year very little but CCM in my brief sojourn as a student at an evangelical college.  Very little of it was enjoyable for me as most was sappy dreck, but that can be said for popular music as Justin pointed out above.  I like some of Bebo Norman's stuff (especially The Hammer Holds and A Page is Turned) and enjoy the song "Flood" by Jars of Clay, as well as some of the ska by Audio Adrenaline is okay.  

There are several once-CCM artists that are now exclusively secular musicians that I enjoy.  Lifehouse, The Cardigans, and Maire Brennan.  And I can't forget that Bob Dylan had a gospel album.  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 05:55:53 PM »

Has anyone heard the Bulgarian group "Hesychia"?  A Bulgarian guy recently played one of their albums for me, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »

hmm I have never heard of this Eikona group.  I thought it was all evangelical protestant in outlook.  I wonder if there is someplace you could purchase one of their CD's.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 06:42:14 PM »

Personally, I don't care for it very much.  Most of it doesn't really say much, or worse, has bad theology in it.  The sad thing is that many churches are singing the praise songs instead of the old hymns, and some of those praise songs aren't that great.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 10:25:25 PM »

Eikonia CD's -

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=MOTH050

Eikonia - Great Vespers from Conciliar Press -

http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/the_saturday_service_of_great_vespers.html

The Akathist invites us to rejoice in the role the Virgin Mary played in the incarnation. "Rejoice, for thou sustaineth the Sustainer of all; Rejoice, thou through whom the Creator becometh a babe!" Cd & cassette

http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/the_akathist_hymn.html

The Good Shepard by Katina (Original songs in a 20th-century folk tradition, with Orthodox religious themes; feature a solo woman's voice and folk guitar. CD only )

http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/the_good_shepherd_1.html

« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 10:26:21 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 12:29:02 AM »

I'm a big fan of Table of Plenty by John Michael Talbot. Somehow it has touched me the way Byzantine chant never could.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:33:35 AM by Frobie » Logged
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 12:35:54 AM »

One really good Orthodox musician that I've heard is Peter Jon Gillquist.  And before you ask, yes, he is Fr. Peter Gillquist's son.  He's kinda folky (or at least he was when he started), but he's evolved toward more of an psuedo-indie-rock style.  It's really hard to describe what he sounds like.  You kind of just have to listen to him and hear for yourself.
The only reason I know about him is because he graduated from the same (Protestant - specifically Reformed Presbyterian [grrrrrrr]) college that I'm attending, his home parish is about a mile away from the school, and they sell his CDs there, which isn't surprising, since we're basically supporting him at St. Vladimir's.
But, anyway, yeah, I really like Pete's music and I think you guys might want to look into it.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 02:19:33 AM »

Matt, Matt:

That is because you should be listening to Russian Chant. Wink

thanks for the links Orthodoc.

Joe Zollars

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 02:36:09 AM »

One really good Orthodox musician that I've heard is Peter Jon Gillquist.  And before you ask, yes, he is Fr. Peter Gillquist's son.  He's kinda folky (or at least he was when he started), but he's evolved toward more of an psuedo-indie-rock style.  It's really hard to describe what he sounds like.  You kind of just have to listen to him and hear for yourself.
The only reason I know about him is because he graduated from the same (Protestant - specifically Reformed Presbyterian [grrrrrrr]) college that I'm attending, his home parish is about a mile away from the school, and they sell his CDs there, which isn't surprising, since we're basically supporting him at St. Vladimir's.
But, anyway, yeah, I really like Pete's music and I think you guys might want to look into it.

Dude, his home parish is St. Athanasius in Isla Vista (by Santa Barbara).  I know, I grew up with him.  He was only in Beaver Falls for a few years.

Peter's not bad.  I'd that is a pretty accurate description of him.  He's very adept, practical and industrious about promoting himself to the right audiences.  He has decent talent, but I know a few that are far more talented - they just don't know how to market themselves and such.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 03:52:26 AM »

For some really good music, check out Old Believer chant from Russia  (unfortuanly in Russian for us Anglophiles).

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 03:53:30 AM »

I meant unfortunate the site is in Russian.  I actually prefer the slavonic for the chants--sounds better than english would I think.

Joe Zollars

neworthodox

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 09:59:02 AM »

Christian rock - boring, banal, derivative and that's just the music - don't get me started on the lyrics and the absolutely awful theology.
oh, did I mention boring?
But "contemporary" praise music is the WORST.
Where's the barfing smiley when you need it?
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 10:09:25 AM »

Neworthodox, I totally agree for the most part.  And I definitely agree about the contemporary praise music.  The ones that put scriptures to music aren't as bad as some of them, but the Orthodox settings are so much better!
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 10:13:34 AM »

Christian rock - boring, banal, derivative and that's just the music - don't get me started on the lyrics and the absolutely awful theology.
oh, did I mention boring?
But "contemporary" praise music is the WORST.
Where's the barfing smiley when you need it?

Like this?  :cwm8:
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

what's the shortcut code for that one?

Joe Zollars

PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 10:37:39 AM »

Christian Rock.... IMHO....

Aesthically speaking it's schlocky and dull and reminds me of those fake designer perfumes you can buy at Right Aid or CVS.  I can almost hear the ads now... "Like Pearl Jam hate thier dark message? Try Creed! Same rock star image with a new and hip gospel message. For every secular trend there is a "Clean Christian Equivalent". There are Christian punk bands, boy bands, riot grrrrrl bands, goth bands...etc. etc. Name a trend in music and I can find you its Christian equivalent.  Ummm Gimme a Break.

My other objection, the message from these groups are overwhelmingly Protestant.  I'm not Protestant, I don't want Protestant theology in my music.

Finally, the whole "Church of the Christ Consumer" concept makes my teeth itch. CCM just plays into this. I don't see how a megaplex of two auditoriums, 30 classrooms, a board of 10, staff of 40  4 Pepsi machines, gift shop, in house coffee bar and a gymnasium equals a sacred space to worship God?  Getting all whooped into a frenzy over the latest christian boy band does not look like worship to me. It looks like a bunch of teen girls getting whooped into a frenzy over a group of boys.

My 2 cents, FWIW.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 11:50:59 AM »

Well said, PhosZoe, I concur.

-Yazid Ibrahim
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 12:21:34 PM »

Well said, PhosZoe, I concur.

I appreciate the compliment!  Smiley
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 12:42:42 PM »

I like some contemporary Christian music, but I voted "Indifferent." In other words, I can take it or leave it.

Real Rock music does not lend itself to the Christian message, IMHO.

I was actually a big Heavy Metal fan for awhile. It is hard to imagine a Christian band with the AC/DC sound, unless it called itself Contradiction.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »

It is hard to imagine a Christian band with the AC/DC sound, unless it called itself Contradiction.

Or "Posers"
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 01:21:33 PM »

what's the shortcut code for that one?

Joe Zollars

:cwm8: |cwm8|
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 01:35:54 PM »

I like some contemporary Christian music, but I voted "Indifferent." In other words, I can take it or leave it.

Real Rock music does not lend itself to the Christian message, IMHO.

I was actually a big Heavy Metal fan for awhile. It is hard to imagine a Christian band with the AC/DC sound, unless it called itself Contradiction.

LOL "Contradiction"

I agree, "Rock and Roll" as we know it was founded on certain grounds with a certain message.  That message maybe positive, but it doesn't quite work as christian

Here's a random tid bit of knowlege." Rock and Roll" and "to rock"l was actually slang for having sex circa 1940.    

« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 01:36:19 PM by PhosZoe » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 03:05:11 PM »

The CCM that I particularly loathe is the "Praise Song" kind.  It is put forth for congregational singing, but often doesn't work due to large jumps between notes, long sustains, no regular meter or rhythm.  Large groups of people singing together work better with some regular structure and (Dare I say it) even some rhyme and scansion.  That doesn't mean non-harmonic or nursery rhyme simple.  "Sacred Harp" songs are multi-part and not dull, but they were meant (with a bit of learning) to be sung by groups.

The other problem is that to me (having quirky senses of humour and music) alot of these songs sound like either commercials or tv theme songs.  "Taste and See" makes me think of a butter/dairy ad, while "Here Am I, Lord" has a melody that is amazingly akin to the theme from "The Brady Bunch"  

It's mushified, blanderized and packaged.  (I know, "Don't hold back, Ebor.  Tell us what you really think."  Cheesy )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
neworthodox

OC.net

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 04:15:37 PM »

CCM is like those "Christian" t-shirts with corporate logos, like the one that looks like the Coke logo and says "Jesus, the Real Thing". When I see those, the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I start growling!!!!!
(grrr)
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2004, 12:38:26 AM »

There's some good Christian metal out there. Tourniquet (who not too long ago released a new album) at the top of the list. They're a thrash band I'd put up against Metallica any day (and I used to be a major Metallica mark). Early Deliverance for more thrash, though not as good as Tourniquet. Underoath if you like the heavier stuff. Six Feet Deep if you like a hardcore/groove metal. Even early Whitecross if you happen to like that high-pitched early 80's metal style. The lyrics are all of questionable theological precision, but they're heartfelt, and I'd rather listen to people singing about how they love Christ and are trying to be good Christians than to listen to most of the alternatives.

Oddly enough, I can think of theological reasons for not listening to metal. More than half a dozen, actually. But it's all subjective. Music that might whip one person into a frenzy (making him want to get into a mosh pit), for another person relieves tension. Music (let's say, classical) that might have a profound spiritual influence on someone, might bore another person and put them to sleep. For my own part, some of the theological reasons against metal are valid in my own life. But having tried to go without such music for well over a year, I can safely say that it's better (for me at least) to get a little dirty with Christian Metal, than to get really muddy without it.

It is better both to attain the good and to keep the purification. But if it be impossible to do both it is surely better to be a little stained with your public affairs than to fall altogether short of grace; just as I think it better to undergo a slight punishment from father or master than to be put out of doors; and to be a little beamed upon than to be left in total darkness. And it is the part of wise men to choose, as in good things the greater and more perfect, so in evils the lesser and lighter. Wherefore do not overmuch dread the purification. For our success is always judged by comparison with our place in life by our just and merciful Judge; and often one who is in public life and has had small success has had a greater reward than one who in the enjoyment of liberty has not completely succeeded; as I think it more marvellous for a man to advance a little in fetters, than for one to run who is not carrying any weight; or to be only a little spattered in walking through mud, than to be perfectly clean when the road is clean. - St. Gregory the Theologian, Oration 40, 19

PS. I should add that Christian Rock isn't that much different than Secular Rock as far as quality. Probably 1% of both secular and Christian bands are really good. The difference is that when it comes to secular, that 1% comes out to like 500 bands in the history of rock, since 50,000 bands have tried. When it comes to Christians, though, maybe only 5,000 bands have tried, so there's maybe 50 good Christian bands. And while there are good secular bands who very few have heard about, because of the nature of the music business, there's even more Christian bands who people have never heard about. Thus, it seems (to those who have never really looked hard) that Christian bands suck. They don't. If someone puts an effort into finding good Christian bands (in every genre), they will find them.

This surprises me that you have gone back. Then again it probably doesn't.  Many Christian metal bands just stink compared to their non-Christian counterparts. Maybe it is because Christian metal bands lack the anger and the edge needed to make heavy metal music that speaks to people. Perhaps they are not as competent musicians. I think both instances are true to a certain point. Singing about Jesus just isn't going to do it, especially when your life is falling apart or having your heart ripped out.  

As for Tourniquet being up there with Metallica, I don't know. Do you mean old Metallica or new Metallica? Either way, I can think other bands that are far better than Tourniquet out there that can rank up there to Metallica. I have listened to some Tourniquet songs, and to be honest I wouldn't spend a nickel on their albums. If I want to listen to thrash metal then I'll listen to Exodus and Testament before I'd listen to Tourniquet.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 12:51:55 AM by sinjinsmythe » Logged

Life is just one disappointment after another.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2004, 10:17:22 AM »

CCM is like those "Christian" t-shirts with corporate logos, like the one that looks like the Coke logo and says "Jesus, the Real Thing". When I see those, the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I start growling!!!!!
(grrr)

Same here, minus the growl.  More of a sigh.  (sigh)  

Grin

-Yazid Ibrahim
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »

Most of it is just cheap ersatz for secular music

I'll second that.

'There are only two kinds of music, good and bad' as producer and 'fifth Beatle' Sir George Martin and I'm sure others have said. And tacking God-talk lyrics onto bad music doesn't make it good.

About the only groups related to CCM I've liked in the past decade were Jars of Clay and Sixpence None the Richer (whose breakout hit wasn't religious at all).

John Michael Talbot's music is good for what it is - crooning ’70s folk pop with God-talk words. If you want to listen to it at home, fine, but not in church.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2004, 11:03:12 AM »

I am thinking of becoming the first Christian lounge musician.

I want to do I Left My Heart In Constantinople a la Tony Bennett and follow it up with Incense Gets In Your Eyes.

Do "cable cars climb halfway to the stars" in Constantinople?

I may have to change that opening number.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:05:13 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2004, 03:31:15 AM »

I'm not a fan of Christian rock ; not because of religious reasons, but because most of it is such poor quality and sounds so lame. I think that DC Talk is one of the cheesiest groups I have ever heard.

The only Christian group that I think is quite talented is Delirious. They sound a lot like U2 & they put on a great show.

Faith+1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 03:31:50 AM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2004, 03:40:49 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the only good Christian "secular" music is American bluegrass, with the possible exception of the hardcore/metal band Strongarm.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »

Has anyone heard the music of Peter Jon Gillquist? I have seen his albums availible on various Orthodox sites. I was wondering if he was any good.

PS- Is he related to Father Peter Gillquist?

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2004, 07:48:15 PM »

Isn't he one and the same?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2004, 07:53:15 PM »

The Contemporary Urban Gospel is mostly garbage too.  Kirk Franklin and those guys just take the latest rap and R&B songs off the radio and remake them as cheesy Gospel tunes (Hey! I thought y'all didn't listen to secular music?  How'd you even hear that song to remake it, Kirk? He'd probably say he was despoiling the Devil's camp and taking the music back for God! Hehehe...).

I agree with Bogoliubsty about the old bluegrass tunes though.  I dig them (O Come Angel Band).  And I especially like the old Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers type of Quartet Gospel.  I don't consider any of music to really be "sacred music" though except the chants of the Orthodox Church.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2004, 08:01:12 PM »

Isn't he one and the same?

Oh, no.  Fr. Peter Gilquist is in his late 50s early 60s.  Peter Jon Gilquist is Fr. Peter's son, and is a first year seminarian at SVS.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2006, 03:05:10 AM »

I've been listening a lot to Sufjan Steven's Illinois CD lately.  I think he's a musical genius.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 06:26:44 AM »

Wow.... way to resurrect an old thread!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »

Just like any other genre, I like a lot of it.  

I'm not into the Hip-Hop Christian music.  

Too bad we Orthodox don't have a marketing machine to promote our contemporary music.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 10:58:11 PM »

Wow.... way to resurrect an old thread!
Wink Thanks.  Of course, it's not much good if people don't take an interest....but what can you do but run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes. Cool

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2006, 09:10:53 AM »

Better an old thread up the pole than someone's "delicate underthings" (as one HC user here likes to call them)...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:11:34 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Rock Christian Rock Rock music Genesis (Band) Peter Jon Gillquist music 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: