OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Randy  (Read 933 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

I know my original post has been locked, but forgive me for creating a new topic.  Things are not looking good for Randy.  I pray that God enspire his doctors and strengthen his family.

Here's what I got, this morning:

"Today’s news is not encouraging.   One doc said today that Randy has taken a turn for the worse.  His white blood cell count has gone up…two days in a row.  The count today was 18.  His kidneys remain quiet and non functioning.  After yesterday’s chest x-ray there was nothing indicating pneumonia however the doc says that there may be some fluid in the lungs.  They performed yet another CT scan today which showed no change in Randy’s intestines.  The last day that Randy had any appreciable interaction with us was on Friday.  He has since then opened his eyes many times but has not responded to commands (i.e. squeeze my hand, blink your eyes).  As in a previous message it has been difficult to see Randy in an agitated state.   

Those are the facts.

The message from the docs that they don’t know what is causing Randy’s illness.  I used the phrase “shooting in the dark” to describe what has been happening over the past week.  Randy is very sick.  The medical team, without knowing what is wrong with Randy, is doing one thing then another to see what works.  True, he was getting better little by little over several days but now he is reversing course with the trend of the blood chemistry and other numbers going in reverse from where they were.  The docs are proposing one more thing to try and divine what might be the cause of all of this….that is an endoscopy.  They want to look into his duodenum (or further) to see what can be seen if anything.  That may happen tomorrow.

This is very frustrating.

Naturally they are hoping that Randy will recover and can come home.   They have had several conversations with the docs about end-of-life decisions.  I have to be candid here.  How long can this go on?  Linda from the beginning were thinking that as long as Randy was improving (even a little each day) they could continue with whatever treatment was suggested.  Now the numbers aren’t so good and where do we go from here.  At this point it is a situation where we assess what is happening on a day by day basis and make our decisions on wherever the trend is coupled with the guidance of the docs.

Tomorrow brings more information via the endoscopy. 

Linda is going home (to Arizona) tomorrow morning.  She is leaving with a heavy heart not completely knowing if she will see her brother again.  But she also knows that Randy is in good care and that they will keep her completely informed and will consult with her on any possible decisions."

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »

Lord have mercy!!
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »

Just got this update:

This morning Randy was off the Propofol which allowed him to be “awake”.  He opened his eyes, looked and grimaced.  For about two hours he was in and out of consciousness.  I was able to “talk” to him.  I got very little response though. 

But there is more news.  This afternoon they performed an endoscopy, looking down into Randy’s duodenum and finding nothing.  The doc reported this and then said that he wanted to re-scope his colon (notice I didn’t say colostomy!) just to check again and to take tissue samples (which he was unable to do previously). 

Well, lo and behold he found something.  During the previous colonoscopy there was too much fecal matter thus he could not see very well.  Today it was a bit cleaner and he saw an ulcerated mass.  Wow!  A very long week and now we have some actual information to hang our hats on.  The doc mentioned several things that might cause this.  Lymphoma, ischemia (restricted blood flow to an area of the bowel), or (this one was a surprise) viral….namely CMV.  The first two things can be treated via surgery and the last would be treated with drugs.  The doc took tissue samples and rushed them off to the lab.  We will get the results on Saturday. 

Well there you have it.  At this point we will wait for tissues lab results and then go from there.   

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »

Thank you for the updates. 

Lord have mercy on Randy.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »

....praying for that he recovers!

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »

Here's the latest from San Francisco:

They had cut Randy’s sedative in half and he was “awake”. 

The docs laid out the situation.  Yes, we do now have a name for what is happening to Randy.  He has a bowel obstruction which led to the sepsis and renal failure.  The cause of the obstruction is probably either a cancer/lymphoma or a viral infection.  The cancer/blockage could be treated surgically, then they said that the viral infection/blockage could be treated with drugs.  One (cancer/surgical) treatment is quick and the other (viral/drugs) treatment could take a long time. 

If we wait for the pathology results on Saturday and it turns out to be the viral blockage the drug treatment would take (at the least) weeks.  That would mean Randy would have to be in the hospital for much longer than he ever would want.  So the docs proposed that they perform surgery tomorrow (Friday) and just go ahead and remove the blockage.  Given his very fragile condition presently they said tomorrow is a narrow window of opportunity for the surgery.  His blood chemistry numbers are unchanged for a couple of days now and those numbers are not very good at that.  The white cell count did decrease today a bit. 

Randy’s condition is critical.  It’s not really improving very well.  He has reached a plateau.  And the blockage has to come out one way or another.  There are two possible outcomes.  The blockage is removed successfully, his bowel is resected (put back together) and he recovers over time.  Or the surgery is performed, it’s found that the blockage is more extensive than expected, they can’t really excise it successfully, they  put him back together. 

Of course this all depends on how well Randy can tolerate the surgery.  Today they were giving him two units of blood because of some low blood numbers.  They were also going to do dialysis again today (they did it yesterday too) in order to prepare him for the surgery. 

Keep Randy in your prayers tonight.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »

Lord have mercy on Randy.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:20 AM »

LORD have mercy!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »

Bad News, the end is near:

Surgery was performed this morning.  The doctor found that there was necrosis in Randy’s small intestines.  It was such that he was unable to do any kind of procedure (resection) in order to correct the underlying problem. 

They met with two of the docs following the surgery and they informed us that without correcting the problem Randy would not be able to survive this.  They further informed us and Linda (she was on the speaker phone) that this is a terminal condition.

Presently we will return to the hospital and as per Randy’s wishes proceed to have the ventilator removed from his windpipe.  The result will be that Randy will die. 

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »

Lord, have mercy. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »

I'm sorry.

May the Lord have mercy on Randy and help his loved ones get through this.

—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »

Lord have mercy.  Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

May His Grace, Compassion and Comfort be with you, his sister, Linda, and all that love him.  May His Mercy, Compassion and Great Love be with Randy right now. 

I'm sorry.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »

Randy fell asleep, in the Lord, during the night at 1:50 AM.  May his memory be eternal!  Vichnaye Pamiat!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »

Lord have mercy.

May his memory be eternal.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »

—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Memory eternal.

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 12:32:25 AM »

May God enlighten his soul!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: