OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:47:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican finds a problem with Kerry  (Read 7717 times) Average Rating: 0
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2004, 11:24:04 PM »

Saddam Hussein gassed MILLIONS of his own people (a la Stalin) during his time in power.  Video footage (which the major networks don't show) supports this.  Of course he had WMD's at some point.  Seeing how he is not an idiot, he certainly destroyed them or got rid of them before we arrived.  I won't be surprised if evidence of Iraqi WMD's surfaces in the next 5-10 years.  Problem is, Americans are not a patient people (give us satisfaction now!).  

I agree with anastasios -- and I think we were doing God's work in getting Saddam Hussein out of power.  As I posted on another thread, God cares about the welfare of ALL His people, not merely comfortable Americans.  I'm no Bush fan, but I largely vote for Republicans because I can't in good conscience vote Democrat given the blatantly non-Christian social & moral issues that are part of their party platform.  

The Kurds in northern Iraq are thankful that we are there, as is most of the country.  Most of the country is not in "uprising."   I would like to see some of the Iraqi governing council on TV urging their people to support the Americans, or to show at least more gratitude than they have.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2004, 12:36:26 AM »

Saddam Hussein gassed MILLIONS of his own people (a la Stalin) during his time in power.  Video footage (which the major networks don't show) supports this.  Of course he had WMD's at some point.  Seeing how he is not an idiot, he certainly destroyed them or got rid of them before we arrived.  I won't be surprised if evidence of Iraqi WMD's surfaces in the next 5-10 years.  Problem is, Americans are not a patient people (give us satisfaction now!).  

Saddam was a terrible dictator.  No one is denying that.  Unfortunately however he is only one of many dictators in the world.  Are we are going to overthrow all of them?  

Underlying this debate is a fundamental disagreement about the proper use of the military.  I do not believe that the American military is supposed to do "God's work."  I do not believe that the purpose of the American military is to free the world from evil dictators.  I think underlying support for the president is the belief that America has the right to "make the world safe for democracy."  

I agree with anastasios -- and I think we were doing God's work in getting Saddam Hussein out of power.  As I posted on another thread, God cares about the welfare of ALL His people, not merely comfortable Americans.  I'm no Bush fan, but I largely vote for Republicans because I can't in good conscience vote Democrat given the blatantly non-Christian social & moral issues that are part of their party platform.  

To see someone write that a preemptive strike against a sovereign nation is "God's work" makes me shudder.  It's precisely this kind of attitude that has driven me from the Republican party.  God's work is not war and oppression.  

The Kurds in northern Iraq are thankful that we are there, as is most of the country.  Most of the country is not in "uprising."   I would like to see some of the Iraqi governing council on TV urging their people to support the Americans, or to show at least more gratitude than they have.

You sound very paternalistic suggesting how they should respond to our invasion.  Imagine if France had invaded the colonies to "free" us from Britian in 1776.  If that had happened, should we have been "grateful" to the French for "freeing" us?  I think we like to think that we freed ourselves.  And, btw, there is no "freedom" in an occupied country.  Do they have democracy?  Do they have self determination?  

Deciding that you have a right to invade another country to overthrow their legal government doesn't engender the respect of the people.  

I want to know where we're supposed to draw the line.  How is Iraq different from other countries?  

I also want to know when those of you so willing to risk the lives of American soldiers to do "God's work" by "freeing" the Iraqi people will be joining up to overthrow another ruthless dictator in the name of God?  

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2004, 01:06:34 AM »

I think enough has been said on this issue. I am closing the thread.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: