OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:28:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible - true?  (Read 619 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »

Why would the bible be true?Why would the bible be the ultimate ethalon/guideliness?Present arguments.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Why would the bible be true?Why would the bible be the ultimate ethalon/guideliness?Present arguments.

As a concise review of world history, the Bible is perhaps the most academically and scholarly scrutinized, analyzed, studied, criticized, dissected, cross-referenced and most of this as concluded that the historicity of actual events, that is to say the names and dates and places, are probably quite accurate.  Obviously fundamental characters such as the Patriarchs or even King David are not provable one way or the other at this point, however, those names and dates and places which can have been.  It is the supernatural and spiritual realities of the Bible that are rightfully reserved for matters of Faith. In this way, the Bible doesn't have to be true at all, I'm  not quite sure being true in the rational sense is exactly what the Bible is for in the first place.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

For us because the Church has declared it is true by carefully examining it in accordance with the rest of the Holy Tradition. For Protestanta, they would probably just use those circular arguments about how the Bible is 'infallible' or 'Divinely inspired' specifically because the Bible says something which led them to those conclusions. They use Bible passages to try and support a view about the Bible's status. Kind of circular and fallacious to me.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »

For a simple answer, there is evidence of many of the historical personages in it.  Solomon for example.
It lists legit cities that exist and the fact the Romans ruled over the Jews.

Just on those small examples it gives it some credibility.   With all the other authors and historical connections to the bible, it would be hard to say "how can the bible not be true".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:35 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As a concise review of world history, the Bible is perhaps the most academically and scholarly scrutinized, analyzed, studied, criticized, dissected, cross-referenced and most of this as concluded that the historicity of actual events, that is to say the names and dates and places, are probably quite accurate.  Obviously fundamental characters such as the Patriarchs or even King David are not provable one way or the other at this point, however, those names and dates and places which can have been.  It is the supernatural and spiritual realities of the Bible that are rightfully reserved for matters of Faith. In this way, the Bible doesn't have to be true at all, I'm  not quite sure being true in the rational sense is exactly what the Bible is for in the first place.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I think there might be a hole in using faith as an argument, just like you did about the existence of Jesus. I haven't figured it out yet but it strikes me as something unpleasant.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

I think there might be a hole in using faith as an argument, just like you did about the existence of Jesus. I haven't figured it out yet but it strikes me as something unpleasant.

Wink

Even in academic history, much of what we assert as "fact" is really a matter of faith in the assumptions and methodology.  Sometimes new discoveries point out the mistakes in our previous perspective, this change over time is called historiography.  The historiography of Jesus and of the Bible changes over time, but the actual history and events which took place do not, merely the accuracy of our recollection and collective memory.  So to me, it does not seem much of a problem to assert that believing in Jesus is a matter of faith, in all actuality believing in William Shakespeare or William the Lionheart is really about the same in regards to the sterility of logic and reason.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »

Even in academic history, much of what we assert as "fact" is really a matter of faith in the assumptions and methodology.  Sometimes new discoveries point out the mistakes in our previous perspective, this change over time is called historiography.  The historiography of Jesus and of the Bible changes over time, but the actual history and events which took place do not, merely the accuracy of our recollection and collective memory.  So to me, it does not seem much of a problem to assert that believing in Jesus is a matter of faith, in all actuality believing in William Shakespeare or William the Lionheart is really about the same in regards to the sterility of logic and reason.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But couldn't I say believing in Mithras is a matter of faith though? I mean that can apply to anything.

The thing is that Jesus Christ enacted historically in time and space. And I think there is excellent evidence outside of faith for example the Resurrection account. I just don't buy the argument that Jesus Christ doesn't exist outside of faith.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

I just don't buy the argument that Jesus Christ doesn't exist outside of faith.

Nothing actually exists as we think or assume to know it aside from faith.

But couldn't I say believing in Mithras is a matter of faith though? I mean that can apply to anything.

See, now my brother, you've stumbled into some deep realms of Existentialism Wink

This is precisely the logical fault in the scholastic approach to theology, the rational mind simply can't accept some of the facts of reality, we are pattern seeking animals, it is much easier to believe in the truth of the symbols and patters we've constructed in our minds rather then experience the underlying mystic reality which they represent.  Even what we learn in physics tells us that what we perceive with our senses isn't really an accurate portrait of reality as it exists, but how our brains can make sense of all the data.  Our collective memory of the past is similarly complex, and is as much a symbol of what we think about the past as any attempt at an accurate reconstruction.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:29:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »

Creepy.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »

Ok I think I am understanding you more clearly in how you define faith and how that relates to reality.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:39:00 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

sub

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »

sub

sup

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: