OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:09:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question?  (Read 2021 times) Average Rating: 0
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« on: April 04, 2004, 01:43:27 AM »

Are  we  closing  down for  Great  and Holy  friday? People  should be in church  instead of  playing  Hookie  and  on the  internet!

NULL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 02:29:36 AM »

Good idea.  How about closing for all of Holy Week?  Or only being open a few hours during a selected day during  Holy Week?
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:24:53 PM »

Not all of us have a resident priest so that we can attend Holy Week services.  Also, the services don't take up all the time.  I won't be able to travel to where I'm having services until Friday.
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 02:48:02 PM »

I figured  that . I  just  figured  that  people  should  be concertating  on  on  the  death  of Christ.

NULL
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

I imagine one's personal piety will dictate one's participation in this forum during Great and Holy Friday. Besides, given that our membership spans all 24 time zones around the globe, how do we decide when Holy Friday begins? SVSOT -Saint Vladimir's Seminary Orthodox Time?  Wink

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 04:09:21 PM »

Not all of us have a resident priest so that we can attend Holy Week services.

Most of the Holy Week services can easily be done as a reader service...if not in church just gather a few friends, a triodion and an horologion.  Sometimes this is even nicer as there are less distractions and whatnot.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »

+ƒ-ç+¦, +ö++++++-ä-ü+¦+¦!

+æ+¦+¦++++ +ƒ-ü++-é should be the center of Orthodox time, or if we want an American version Saint Anthony's!
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 06:09:39 PM »

I agree with Demetri -- and the comment about the various time zones makes a great deal of sense.  Holy Friday for us in the West will probably be Holy Saturday in Europe and Asia.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 06:46:15 PM »

Last year and this year we shut down on Clean Monday, but not on any other day.  Not many people posted on Good Friday last year anyway, so I think we'll just keep it open and discourage posting on Good Friday in your time zone.

anastasios
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 11:44:34 AM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 10:32:36 AM »

I agree with Demetri -- and the comment about the various time zones makes a great deal of sense.  Holy Friday for us in the West will probably be Holy Saturday in Europe and Asia.

I remember being greatly annoyed when on Holy Saturday, arriving at church at Holy Trinity Monastary, an Aussie seminarian was standing there trying to get all the girls to Hristosovatsa with him, saying "It's already Pascha in Sydney."   Tongue

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 03:34:47 PM »

ania,
do you go to HTM for Pascha every year?  How is it?

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 05:07:55 PM »

Another reason for the site to stay open is that for those of us posting from work, posting is not always a distraction away from Holy Week, but sometimes a resouce to help focus oneself towards the life of the Church in this most important time.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 06:05:32 PM »

Or for someone ditching a class to go to the computer lab to post.....(not that I would EVER do that!)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 08:39:13 PM »

I agree with David, the forum provides a spiritual connection for less fortunate souls to browse the boards for items of thought and reflection.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: