Author Topic: "Զի Քոյէ" կամ "Զի Քո է"  (Read 114 times)

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
"Զի Քոյէ" կամ "Զի Քո է"
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
I really hope someone more literate than I in Armenian sees this and can answer.   :)

Toward the end of the Lord's Prayer, it says "for Thine is the kingdom..."

In Classical Armenian, I've always seen "for Thine is" written as "Զի Քո է".  (For those of you looking at this who don't read Armenian, those three words pretty much directly correspond to the English:  Զի is "for," Քո is "Thine" and է means "is.") 

Today for the first time, I saw it written as "Զի Քոյէ".  That totally baffled me.  A woman had the prayer on her phone and it was spelled that way.  To me that seems like someone just phonetically spelled it out the way it sounds.  It's kind of like how in English someone will sometimes spell "going to see him" as "gonna see him."

Is this at all proper?  Is it common?  Is there some movement I am not aware of to make Classical Armenian spelling more phonetic?  I know that Eastern Armenian spelling went through a sort of reform about eighty years ago to make it more phonetic.  Is that happening to Classical Armenian now?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:49:10 PM by Salpy »

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
Re: "Զի Քոյէ" կամ "Զի Քո է"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »
My Armenian isn't great, but that has to be a mistake. I can't find that spelling anywhere online - I would think if an app has that spelling, it is probably on a website somewhere, but I can't find it. If I had to guess, it's just a mistake, perhaps someone typing the prayer from memory and spelling it as they pronounce it without checking what they've typed against a standard text.

I also would think it unlikely that there be any sort of push to reform Classical orthography - that seems like asking for trouble!
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: "Զի Քոյէ" կամ "Զի Քո է"
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
I also would think it unlikely that there be any sort of push to reform Classical orthography - that seems like asking for trouble!

That's for sure.