OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what will happen if an infant dies un-baptized?  (Read 967 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

a friend from the Philippines said that they believe a baby will dwell in hell forever if they are unbaptized.   

what does Orthodoxy say?  what about the victims of a still birth or abortion?  can you baptize a dead infant?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »

Is your friend Eastern Orthodox or Catholic?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »

(Ha!  I love your picture!)  she's a Roman Catholic.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »

We do not know, of course, what follows, but, traditionally the prospect wasn't all that good. In many places they weren't even buried with the baptized, but in a corner of the cemetery, with those that killed themselves.
In many places they were thought to become vampires/werewolves etc.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

(Ha!  I love your picture!)  she's a Roman Catholic.
Well, she is mistaken. We have no Divine Revelation on what happens to unbaptized infants, but many (if not most) Catholics believe that the Grace of God can still save such infants. We have a saying: "We are bound to the Sacraments, but God is not."

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:33:19 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »

We do not know, of course, what follows, but, traditionally the prospect wasn't all that good. In many places they weren't even buried with the baptized, but in a corner of the cemetery, with those that killed themselves.

This seems in line with both reason and the Gospel as given in the Scriptures and most writings I have read and podcasts I have listened to about Orthodoxy.

Fr. Hopko did a whole series of podcasts on the various malevolent creatures dead un-baptized babies can turn into.

On a not insane note, Father Hopko did offer a thought provoking and heart breaking podcast on suicide:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/suicide

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:32:30 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »

Fr. Hopko did a whole series of podcasts on the various malevolent creatures dead un-baptized babies can turn into.

What...? Like hobgoblins and such?  Huh
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »

This seems in line with both reason and the Gospel as given in the Scriptures and most writings I have read and podcasts I have listened to about Orthodoxy.

On a not insane note, Father Hopko did offer a thought provoking and heart breaking podcast on suicide:

When it comes to such things, I do not hold Fr. Hopko-I never read or listened to anything penned by him-in higher regard than the old peasants I grew up with. On the contrary.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »

When it comes to such things, I do not hold Fr. Hopko-I never read or listened to anything penned by him-in higher regard than the old peasants I grew up with. On the contrary.

Sensible. I am sure werewolf has to been mentioned at least a dozen times in the Gospels. But hey, if an old peasant says so . . .

Ever read Bulgakov's A Country Doctor's Notebook? You can probably get by without Grey's Anatomy as well.

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »

Sensible. I am sure werewolf has to been mentioned at least a dozen times in the Gospels. But hey, if an old peasant says so . . .

Ever read Bulgakov's A Country Doctor's Notebook? You can probably get by without Grey's Anatomy as well.
Save the ironies for elsewhere. The point is that when it comes to what happens to an unbaptized kid after death is as much known to Fr. Hopko as it is to an illiterate peasant.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:35:10 AM »

Orthonorm can you please post a link to the previously mentioned podcasts about infants that are unbaptized becoming malevolent creatures?Huh??please?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »

What...? Like hobgoblins and such?  Huh

No, but I think after reading through this thread have finally found the source for all the trolls I run across.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »

Orthonorm can you please post a link to the previously mentioned podcasts about infants that are unbaptized becoming malevolent creatures?Huh??please?

I was being ironic bordering on sarcasm perhaps . . .

Citing relatively respected authority to give credence to insane suggestion. An attempt poorly as it might have been at further pointing out the incredible degree of madness in the post while trying to inject humor.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:29:39 AM »

It's a mystery. All we can do is pray for the child.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »

Isn't is always a mystery? Is there a difference between a child who has been baptized and one who hasn't solely in virtue of their baptism?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »

Isn't is always a mystery? Is there a difference between a child who has been baptized and one who hasn't solely in virtue of their baptism?

Yes, actually. A baptized baby is baptized into the death and resurrection of Christ and made a member of the Church. This is not to say that non-baptized babies are going to hell. What kind of God would we have, then, especially since these have done nothing to offend God, but, rather, He has seen fit to take them to Himself.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: infant baptism baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: