OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How well did the Protestant Reformers know of Orthodoxy?  (Read 3184 times) Average Rating: 0
KevinOrr

Faith: United Methodist

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

John Wesley, granted, a later reformer, read closely the Church Fathers. He particularly had high regard for St. Macarius. He encouraged Methodists, and demanded preachers of his movement, to fast on Wednesday and Friday. When he spoke of Christian perfection, it comes close to an understanding of synergy and theosis, although he does not use these terms. Some have said that of all the Protestant reformers, Wesley's overall theology is closest to Orthodoxy.

I agree!

As to why he did not convert, I have no idea. Perhaps he felt no need to since, being a priest in the Church of England, he considered himself as in communion with the Church. Perhaps it was not an option because there was no Orthodox community in England to which he could relate. Just guessing.

It probably had more to do with his altergate experience. I think I spelled it wrong, but yeah I think the Pietist movement probably directed him in a different direction to the point that it really didn't matter what church you went to as long as you had that inner experience. The Anglican Non-Jurors seemed more open to the idea of going East. William Law is still one of my favorite authors.
I've heard of William Law, but never read any of his work. Have to add him to the list.
I should point out that, although Wesley joined the Pietists in the importance of an inner experience, he also expected Methodists to receive the eucharist frequently in the Church of England.

Fixed quote tags... -PtA
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:34:13 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: