OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:28:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation  (Read 4856 times) Average Rating: 0
Jenny

« on: April 03, 2004, 05:52:45 PM »

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a very long time. I didn't post that much before, either, but I know some of you from other boards as well as this one.  I wanted to tell everyone that this Holy Saturday I will be Chrismated!

It's been a long time coming for me.  I came very close to becoming Catholic.  Doubts still occasionally plague me about the papacy, but I've read enough that the doubts rarely surface.

I believe I'm doing the right thing, and I'm really excited about it.

Jenny
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 07:16:11 PM »

May God grant you many years!  I was chrismated on Holy Saturday as well--it will be my third anniversary on Holy Saturday.
Jenny

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 07:28:50 PM »

May God grant you many years!  I was chrismated on Holy Saturday as well--it will be my third anniversary on Holy Saturday.  

Thank you, Katherine.  May God grant you many years, as well!

Jenny
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 07:55:31 AM »

Congratulations, and may God bless you!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 09:19:45 AM »

Welcome Home, Jenny.  I remember when you first found the forum and asked about The Church.  I'm glad to see you have found your way.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Jenny

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 01:25:37 PM »

Thank you, Mor Ephrem and David!
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 02:27:19 PM »

Many years, Jenny!

On the Pope, remember that many Orthodox still like and respect him ... we just disagree with what he and his church say his role in the church should be.

Brendan

B
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 04:09:11 PM »

God grant you many years!
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 06:25:39 PM »

congratulations! if i can ask, what parish will you be chrismated in?

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Jenny

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 06:20:24 PM »

Many years, Jenny!

On the Pope, remember that many Orthodox still like and respect him ... we just disagree with what he and his church say his role in the church should be.

Brendan

Thank you, Brendan.  I guess I just was so convinced at one time of the Catholic claims re: the Pope, that it still causes doubts to creep in.  

And thanks, again, to everyone for their warm wishes!

Jenny
Jenny

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 06:21:42 PM »

congratulations! if i can ask, what parish will you be chrismated in?

Hi Gregory!

I will be Chrismated in the Orthodox Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Miami, Florida.   Smiley

Jenny
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 07:36:38 PM »

Congrats Jenny!  Many years! what sain'ts name will you be taking?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Jenny

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:15:42 PM »

Congrats Jenny!  Many years! what sain'ts name will you be taking?

Joe Zollars

Thanks, Joe.  Actually, I'm not yet sure what saints name I will be taking.  Father told me I could just tell him the day of the Chrismation.  Considering that it's only 5 days away, I need to make a decision soon.  I have read a lot about different saints online, and I admire different ones for different reasons, but I haven't been able to decide definitively on one for my saint name.

Jenny
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 10:31:50 PM »

Jenny,

Here is a great name to use - Jennifer.

Congrats and God grant you many years.

Joseph
Jenny

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 06:42:15 AM »

Jenny,

Here is a great name to use - Jennifer.

Congrats and God grant you many years.

Thanks!  Well, Jennifer is my given name, but Father said there was no Saint Jennifer.

Jenny
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 07:25:57 AM »

Thanks!  Well, Jennifer is my given name, but Father said there was no Saint Jennifer.

Jenny

"Jennifer" is a derivative of Joanna (Ioanna). That might to satisfy your priest or give you an option.  Smiley

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 08:52:23 AM »

Hi Jenny --

My wife's name is Jennifer and her Chrismation name is Eugenia. Eugenia is an early martyr and her feast day is December 24th.

Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 08:57:27 AM »

I will be Chrismated in the Orthodox Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Miami, Florida.   Smiley

If I recall, that is the parish where Fr. Phillip Reese is attached.  Wonderful man, met him at the diocesan assembly in Dallas a few years back.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
gregory2
Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 03:47:52 PM »

i imagine you're miami weather for Pascha will be much warmer than ours here in Wash state....  you do have a wonderful bishop in Archbp Dmitri.  Many years!

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Jenny

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 06:01:58 PM »

"Jennifer" is a derivative of Joanna (Ioanna). That might to satisfy your priest or give you an option.  Smiley

Demetri

Oh, I didn't realize that!  I'm definitely open to suggestions since I'm still not sure.  Thanks, Demetri. Smiley

Jenny

Jenny

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2004, 06:03:45 PM »

If I recall, that is the parish where Fr. Phillip Reese is attached.  Wonderful man, met him at the diocesan assembly in Dallas a few years back.  

Yes!  Father Philip is our priest.  And he is indeed a wonderful man.  I really do feel blessed to learn from him and to get to know him.

Jenny
Jenny

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 06:10:13 PM »

Hi Jenny --

My wife's name is Jennifer and her Chrismation name is Eugenia. Eugenia is an early martyr and her feast day is December 24th.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Wow, I didn't even know about her.  I just looked into her life a little bit on the OCA website.  Very interesting story.  Thanks for letting me know about her!

Jenny
Jenny

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 06:11:50 PM »

i imagine you're miami weather for Pascha will be much warmer than ours here in Wash state....  you do have a wonderful bishop in Archbp Dmitri.  Many years!

Thank you, Gregory!  We have been having very nice weather here.  It should be a wonderful day on Saturday, too.

Jenny Smiley
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 06:35:08 PM »

How about Nektaria?
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 06:42:39 PM »

you should be named after the one of the Royal Martyrs.  But I am biased.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 06:43:18 PM »

Grand-Duchess Martyr Anastasia might be a good one since you will be Chrismated on Pascha.

Joe Zollars

ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 12:42:05 AM »

Anastasia would be a very fitting name, like JoeZollars said.  Not to mention the fact that it's a beautiful name.
On a different note, this is one of my first posts, and since I'm sorta-kinda-slightly a catechumen, could you guys pray for me that I complete my journey home in the Lord's own time?

God grant you many, many years!

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 03:35:18 AM »

On a different note, this is one of my first posts, and since I'm sorta-kinda-slightly a catechumen, could you guys pray for me that I complete my journey home in the Lord's own time?

Absolutely!

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jenny

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 12:39:32 PM »

Anastasia would be a very fitting name, like JoeZollars said.  Not to mention the fact that it's a beautiful name.

God grant you many, many years!

Thank you!  And I will certainly pray for you.

Jenny
Jenny

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2004, 12:45:46 PM »

Thank you to everyone for your warm wishes and suggestions!  I was Chrismated on Holy Saturday.  I ended up taking St. Juliana of Lazarevo as my saint name.  She was one I had considered for a while.  I loved that even in the world with the responsibilities of a family, she became a saint.  She wasn't a martyr or an ascetic, but she lived out her life taking care of her family and the poor and she was sanctified by her daily life.  

Unlike Juliana, I don't have any children (although I would like to have some), but I am married and I hope that, like St. Juliana, I can grow and become more like Christ through my daily care for my husband and family and by my daily interactions with other people.    

Thank you all, again.

Jenny (Juliana)
gregory2
Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Congratulations on your chrismation.  I think that St. Juliana of Lazarevo is the patron saint of Father Alexander Schmemann's widow (whose name is Juliana Schmemann), though I could be wrong.  If so, you're in good company!

Jenny

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2004, 03:21:03 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Congratulations on your chrismation.  I think that St. Juliana of Lazarevo is the patron saint of Father Alexander Schmemann's widow (whose name is Juliana Schmemann), though I could be wrong.  If so, you're in good company!

Indeed He is Risen!  Thank you, Gregory!  I read somewhere that Juliana Schmemann is a descendent of St. Juliana and was named after her.  

Jenny
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: