OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:23:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Jesus anti-Semetic?  (Read 2929 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »

What I get from Saint Iaint is that calling Christ a Jew is anachronistic. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I don't think that's a necessarily racist opinion to hold.

Unless the person saying it is a racist.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Logic.and.life

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 05:17:46 AM »

HOW can Jesus be a so-called 'Jew'? Jesus is God!

I am anti-Talmudic (as should you be). I am pro-truth (as should you be).
Very good!
God has no nationality. Jesus is God. Therefore Jesus has no nationality.
Logic.and.life

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 05:35:18 AM »

Jews determine the nationality of the child by the mother. Other people to determine the nationality of the child by his father.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »

Jews determine the nationality of the child by the mother. Other people to determine the nationality of the child by his father.

You are incorrect. Different cultures determine ethnicity in different ways. In a patriarchal society the lineage comes from the father. In a matriarchal society the lineage come from the mother. Amongst American Indians as a whole this is particularly confusing. One person could be 50% native American, but in certain tribes they are not recognized as such because the bloodline is thru the wrong parent. Whereas another person could be 1/16th native American and is considered "more Indian" because they just have to prove they have an ancestor from the tribe. So the 1/2 amerindian person is "not indian" and the 1/16th amerindian person is "indian."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:12:54 AM by Quinault » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »

Quote from: Saint Iaint
The vast majority of so-called 'Jews' are TALMUDIC (Pharisaic actually), ANTI-CHRIST and extremely xenophobic.

Wow.  Shocked  You know all of them? You met every one, and talked to each one personally, and saw into their hearts, and can judge as God can judge? How was this not on the news yesterday?  Huh

In the flesh, here on Earth... Jesus was a Hebrew. Jesus was an Israelite of the tribe of Judah. Jesus was not a Judean. Jesus was not a 'Jew'.

Then all that getting circumcised and celebrating the Feast of the Tabernacles and being called Rabboni would have been pretty darned surprising!  Shocked I didn't know people in first-Century Roman Palestine did stuff like that for no reason.

And what does this say about the ethnic and cultural heritage of the Theotokos, St. Joseph the Betrothed, and the Apostles? About St. Simeon? You know the Old Testament prophets are also saints, right?  Huh

Abraham existed before Israel. Israel existed before Judah. Judah therefore was necessarily the first 'Jew'. Meaning Jacob/Israel was not a 'Jew' nor was Abraham a 'Jew'.

You should bring this up in Brooklyn sometime.  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »

HOW can Jesus be a so-called 'Jew'? Jesus is God!

I am anti-Talmudic (as should you be). I am pro-truth (as should you be).
Very good!
God has no nationality. Jesus is God. Therefore Jesus has no nationality.

In Orthodox Christianity we consider Jesus both fully God and fully Man.. The Man was Jewish. He was circumcised.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:25:21 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »

To deny that Jesus was a Jew is to deny his incarnation in this world.
Logic.and.life

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »

In Orthodox Christianity we consider Jesus both fully God and fully Man.. The Man was Jewish. He was circumcised.

Jesus is from the lineage of David, because it gave birth to Mary.
Father of Jesus is God. That means Jesus has the same nationality as God.
God has no nationality.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »

God has no nationality.

Actually in Judaism, nationality is determined by the Maternal Line. if your Mom is Jewish, so are you... I am sure God knew this Smiley

He also practiced Judaism. He  was ritually circumcised ( which is definitive in terms of his Jewishness). He preached in the Synagogue. Do you think a Non-Jew would be allowed to do that in the 1st Century? He and his family observed the Holy Days of Judaism. He refers to the Jewish People as His People. He is referred to by his followers a Rabbi. He promulgates the views of a particular faction within Judaism ( Hillel School)  etc etc etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Come on.

Logic.and.life

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »

You are incorrect. Different cultures determine ethnicity in different ways. In a patriarchal society the lineage comes from the father. In a matriarchal society the lineage come from the mother.
Therefore, Jesus is God for a patriarchal society, but Jesus is a jew for a matriarchal society.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:30:53 PM by Loguic.and.life » Logged
Logic.and.life

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

God has no nationality.
Actually in Judaism, nationality is determined by the Maternal Line. if your Mom is Jewish, so are you... I am sure God knew this Smiley
He also practiced Judaism. He  was ritually circumcised ( which is definitive in terms of his Jewishness). He preached in the Synagogue. Do you think a Non-Jew would be allowed to do that in the 1st Century? He and his family observed the Holy Days of Judaism. He refers to the Jewish People as His People. He is referred to by his followers a Rabbi. He promulgates the views of a particular faction within Judaism ( Hillel School)  etc etc etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Come on.

That's it. Jesus is a jew for judaists. Jesus is God for orthodox christians.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

God has no nationality.
He also practiced Judaism. He  was ritually circumcised ( which is definitive in terms of his Jewishness). He preached in the Synagogue. Do you think a Non-Jew would be allowed to do that in the 1st Century? He and his family observed the Holy Days of Judaism. He refers to the Jewish People as His People. He is referred to by his followers a Rabbi. He promulgates the views of a particular faction within Judaism ( Hillel School)  etc etc etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Come on.

Oh okay, if you say so.....However,  I think if you check around you will find the in the Holy Tradition of Orthodox Christianity, Jesus is understood to have been a Jew.

r

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »

God has no nationality.

Oh okay, if you say so.....However,  I think if you check around you will find the in the Holy Tradition of Orthodox Christianity, Jesus is understood to have been a Jew.

r

And, interestingly, according to our liturgical texts and teachings, the Lord was circumcised and presented in the Temple for the salvation of all mankind, not just the Jews, just as He was spit upon, betrayed, and crucified for the salvation of all, even those who did it to Him.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »

God has no nationality.

r

And, interestingly, according to our liturgical texts and teachings, the Lord was circumcised and presented in the Temple for the salvation of all mankind, not just the Jews, just as He was spit upon, betrayed, and crucified for the salvation of all, even those who did it to Him.

You're mixed up. The Lord's salvation is open to all, no question. It is also true that Jesus Christ was a Jew.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »

God has no nationality.

r

You're mixed up.

I think you misread me, especially since I had, up to this point, agreed with you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »

Even if the term "Jew" doesn't exactly fit a Galilean, I would think at least He would be some other form of Semite.  Undecided

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »

God has no nationality.

r

You're mixed up.

I think you misread me, especially since I had, up to this point, agreed with you.

Okay.. Sorry... then I'm mixed up... I didnt quite understand the last sentence you wrote...

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »

You are incorrect. Different cultures determine ethnicity in different ways. In a patriarchal society the lineage comes from the father. In a matriarchal society the lineage come from the mother. Amongst American Indians as a whole this is particularly confusing. One person could be 50% native American, but in certain tribes they are not recognized as such because the bloodline is thru the wrong parent. Whereas another person could be 1/16th native American and is considered "more Indian" because they just have to prove they have an ancestor from the tribe. So the 1/2 amerindian person is "not indian" and the 1/16th amerindian person is "indian."

I agree with the intent of what you're saying but, as someone with a BA in anthropology, you have your terms a bit mixed up.  A patrilineal society determines lineage (eg "who is of the tribe") from the father; a patriarchal society is one where power and decision making is generally held by the male members.  Similarly, matrilineal societies trace ancestry through the mother but matriarchal societies consolidate power through the female members of society.  It is, I think, still believed that there were no true 100% matriarchal societies amongst the post-Contact tribes but there were certainly ones that shared power far more than Europeans did at the time.

So, in this case, the Jews were matrilineal but patriarchal.  Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »

Thanks, I got my terms mixed up. NW tribes were pretty matriarchal. Especially when you take into account the tribal religions. Even here in the NW we had a great deal of diversity, Oregon alone had 14 language families. Much of the native heritage of the NW is lost though, so we won't really ever have a complete picture of societies here.

I don't have anything beyond a GED and a 9th grade education, I am hardly an expert. I am mostly going on my connections within Amerindian culture. I believe it is Sia that has the BA in anthropology.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:27:53 AM by Quinault » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »

Even if the term "Jew" doesn't exactly fit a Galilean, I would think at least He would be some other form of Semite.  Undecided
One of Jesus' ancestors was Rahab, a Canaanite, and Canaan was a son of Ham. So Jesus would also be at least partially Hamite.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »

One of Jesus' ancestors was Rahab, a Canaanite, and Canaan was a son of Ham. So Jesus would also be at least partially Hamite.

Isn't this assuming that the bloodline was matrilineal though?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

Isn't this assuming that the bloodline was matrilineal though?
Matrilineality is a cultural construction. I'm talking genetically (insofar as speaking about "Hamites" and "Semites" makes sense genetically, which it may in fact not).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: