OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:32:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox faith helps Dutch nurse care for others  (Read 297 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »

Freke de Graf moved from Holland to Russia in order to study in Moscow. She stayed for quite some time. De Graf took up a career in nursing, focusing on care for the terminally ill. She had an interest in improving the quality of the system, which was often criticized for its lack of kindness and respect for patients. She also discovered something else: the Russian Orthodox Church.

From the article:
When she met Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom), the Russian Orthodox leader of Britain and Ireland, she decided to move to London, where the charismatic metropolitan had built up a flourishing community. “I wanted to live close to the church and the parish he led. In the end, I stayed there for 25 years. While training as a nurse, I became acquainted with the hospice movement. I saw how doctors and nurses had a certain fear for people who were dying, something I found hard to understand. Later I specialized in oncology and worked in several hospices." (...) After her mother died, she decided to return to Moscow.

angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: expatriate  Holland  russia  orthodox  compassion  nurse  health care 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: