OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having an issue attenting a Protestant church this upcoming Sunday  (Read 3170 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »

I think we should let the guy make his own decision here, otherwise, we are failing to mind our own business, and that folks is also a sin.

He knows his dad. This is NOT an important occasion like a wedding, baptism, or funeral. Surely his stepmom's dad will have an occasion to preach at an important event that is worthy of his attendance.

I have been in similar situations, and sometimes it is best to avoid near occasions of sin where you know that you cannot handle the situation.
Sometimes avoidance is best.

I will pray for him and for his family. That is the proper Christian response.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:20:54 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
lizzyd

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »

I can't advise you on whether it is right or wrong to skip tomorrow, but I can say that there are times when you will need to be present at non-Orthodox events, for the sake of the relationship with your family. And again, how can you expect them to go to Divine Liturgy even just once if you will no longer step foot in their church?

I've been to a Protestant church exactly one time since becoming a catechumen. It was for a family event and our presence had been requested. Our family was very glad to have us there, it would have created hurt feelings to skip especially if we had done so under the pretense of "sorry we're Orthodox now, and can no longer associate with you."

What doesn't "feel right" about attending? What does it say about these feelings if lying about being sick feels "right" but attending their church doesn't?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »

If you are secure in your faith, this is not a problem.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »

So I went. It was like having an affair with a mistress.

They are all about teaching "God's Word" systematically, but as we know God's Word is Jesus Christ (John 1:1). They break it down verse by verse, and always in the back of my mind was how do I know he has the accurate interpretation. It was a sermon on humility and I think it was done very good overall, it had a good message behind it.

One thing I did chuckle on was their usage of "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.", acting as if there church was the original one to be included.

I feel off, but in a sort of sense I am glad to go because I have much more appreciation of Orthodoxy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »

They are all about teaching "God's Word" systematically, but as we know God's Word is Jesus Christ (John 1:1). They break it down verse by verse, and always in the back of my mind was how do I know he has the accurate interpretation. It was a sermon on humility and I think it was done very good overall, it had a good message behind it.

One thing I did chuckle on was their usage of "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.", acting as if there church was the original one to be included.

I feel off, but in a sort of sense I am glad to go because I have much more appreciation of Orthodoxy.

Glad to hear this.
mattymoo

Jurisdiction: Whatever Orthodox parish I happen to be in at any given moment

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »

Nice. Glad to hear you were able to go and that you were also able to take the sermon etc in stride and find a way to appreciate Orthodoxy at the same time and maybe some of your family will feel inclined some day to come to Church with you, who knows Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »

It had a courtroom presece sort of, it had a bit of a tinge of condemning those that are not good with God's Word, something I disagree with.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

Well done.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »

I have a question then, should I explain to my father how important Orthodoxy is to me and that once I do become Orthodox I can no longer be assocaited with the other denominations (I don't consider Orthodoxy a denomination BTW)?

And once I do become Christmated as an Orthodox I can no longer be 'allowed' sort of speak to go to another denomination right?

I'd just like to add my own two cents.  first of all, your right.  Orthodoxy is not a denomination, it's pre-denominational.  it's OK for you to go to another Church, as long as you don't participate in communion or un-Orthodox prayers/hymns (denying the trinity, etc.)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »

I'm happy for you!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:21 PM »

Well, you will appreciate Christ's Bride more. Anyways, I hope your father appreicated it.

They are all about teaching "God's Word" systematically, but as we know God's Word is Jesus Christ (John 1:1).

Actually better to say Jesus Christ is God the Word.

They break it down verse by verse, and always in the back of my mind was how do I know he has the accurate interpretation. It was a sermon on humility and I think it was done very good overall, it had a good message behind it.

[/quote]
See. Everybody's happy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 05:44:42 PM »

I'm glad you went, and that you found something positive, including a greater appreciation for Orthodox worship.

Was there any follow-up at home afterwards? Did you get quizzed about anything? If it should come up, stay positive.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »

Nah no going home afterwards, I had to go to work which I'm at right now. But I didn't go into too much detail, just said he did really good.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »

Nah no going home afterwards, I had to go to work which I'm at right now. But I didn't go into too much detail, just said he did really good.
Well done. You won't go unrewarded.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »

I'll probably be seeing my folks this week, maybe I could shed some more light into what I believe?

I asked my pops last week how he knew the Bible was true, couldn't give me an answer to it. I just feel maybe I could shed some light on the faith itself? Or should I hold off until I actually go through the conversion process and some time has been spent. I feel I know quite a bit and know enough why Orthodoxy is the correct faith, but I dont know how I should approach it. Trevor said its a Christians job to lead one unto Orthodoxy, I have to agree.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
lizzyd

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »

I am glad that everything worked out.

Regarding telling your family, I would take it slow and easy. I feel like my husband and I really rushed into telling other people everything we knew and that we overwhelmed them. When you find something so great it is easy to assume that others will have the same reaction. By all means, feel free to talk about it. But don't feel like you should lay out every bit of evidence or make ever compelling argument. Nice and easy, and with a spirit of humility.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »

I'll probably be seeing my folks this week, maybe I could shed some more light into what I believe?

I asked my pops last week how he knew the Bible was true, couldn't give me an answer to it. I just feel maybe I could shed some light on the faith itself? Or should I hold off until I actually go through the conversion process and some time has been spent. I feel I know quite a bit and know enough why Orthodoxy is the correct faith, but I dont know how I should approach it. Trevor said its a Christians job to lead one unto Orthodoxy, I have to agree.
Trevor is right: lead one into Orthodoxy - don't push or drag them in  Smiley. Most of us converts tend to be a little over-enthusiastic at the beginning and have made mistakes in sharing our faith. IMHO, the best course of action is simply to live a quiet Orthodox life. Let others ask questions. Opportunities will come to you. Be prepared.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »

This is an "ask your priest" question.

It is best to grow in the faith silently rather than inserting the foot into your mouth.

Also if you feel inclined to gift your parents and relatives some Orthodox books, please ask your priest. I made the mistake of gifting some items to my parents and it turned them against Orthodoxy. If I had known to ask my priest, they might have been spared some unappreciated rhetoric from Frankie Schaeffer. His conversion video was a real turnoff for them.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »

This is an "ask your priest" question.

It is best to grow in the faith silently rather than inserting the foot into your mouth.

Also if you feel inclined to gift your parents and relatives some Orthodox books, please ask your priest. I made the mistake of gifting some items to my parents and it turned them against Orthodoxy. If I had known to ask my priest, they might have been spared some unappreciated rhetoric from Frankie Schaeffer. His conversion video was a real turnoff for them.
and look where he is now.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »

What do you mean ialmisry?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »

Greetings to all,

As some of you know I have expressed a deep interest in becoming Orthodox, for me the appeal was it's theology (which is sound) and it's history. However since I am new to the Orthodox faith it is hard to fight against the Protestant prejudice that occurs within my family, many of them are very confused on why I approach things a certain way (For example I do not interprete the Bible on my own, but leave that to the Church since the Bible is supposed to be in the context of the Church).  

Hehe funny.

knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation 2 Peter 1:20

I personally interpret 2 Peter 1:20 to mean that I can personally interpret scriptures.

Apparently everyone has their own interpretation of this one.

LOLZ
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:49:32 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Raca

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »

When I used to go to a Protestant church (both recently and when I was younger) I always felt there was a kind of disconnect with the original word of God. I didn't understand how these modern day churches could be so happy and talking about wealth and money when people like Job and Paul had to suffer and endure so they could maintain a relationship and understanding with God.

I could easily connect with the suffering and enduring while the megachurches were disconnected from the experience, but because I was able to find a connection to it, I turned to Orthodoxy. I hope this makes sense. Iam a bad writer lol
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: