OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating Easter  (Read 346 times) Average Rating: 0
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: November 20, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »

I read with interest the following recent address of Metropolitan Nicholas

http://www.acrod.org/metropolitan/homilies/interseminaryencounter2010

He was speaking to a group from the Byzantine Catholic seminary, among others, and he said the following

I propose that together, we support the call issued by the North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation in Georgetown this past weekend. As Fr. David Petras, who was one of the Consultants, already knows, the Consultation called for all Churches to return to a strictly astronomical observance of the Nicene decree for the dating of the Paschal celebration. We should, together, support this effort. It is bad enough that the Christian community is divided in the celebration of Easter. It is a far worse scandal that the Byzantine Christian community does not say Christos Voskrese on the same day. Next year we celebrate Pascha on the same day. I hope that this unified celebration continues without interruption.

Here is the documentation from the consultation itself

http://www.nccbuscc.org/seia/easter.shtml

I myself have come to agree with this position.  Is there any reason not to return to the calculation of the date for Easter as laid down by Nicaea I?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »

I like the idea.  I never cared to have my wife (Catholic) and I celebrate it on a different day.
Tags: Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: