Author Topic: Calculating Easter  (Read 774 times)

Offline AMM

• Archon
Calculating Easter
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
I read with interest the following recent address of Metropolitan Nicholas

http://www.acrod.org/metropolitan/homilies/interseminaryencounter2010

He was speaking to a group from the Byzantine Catholic seminary, among others, and he said the following

I propose that together, we support the call issued by the North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation in Georgetown this past weekend. As Fr. David Petras, who was one of the Consultants, already knows, the Consultation called for all Churches to return to a strictly astronomical observance of the Nicene decree for the dating of the Paschal celebration. We should, together, support this effort. It is bad enough that the Christian community is divided in the celebration of Easter. It is a far worse scandal that the Byzantine Christian community does not say Christos Voskrese on the same day. Next year we celebrate Pascha on the same day. I hope that this unified celebration continues without interruption.

Here is the documentation from the consultation itself

http://www.nccbuscc.org/seia/easter.shtml

I myself have come to agree with this position.  Is there any reason not to return to the calculation of the date for Easter as laid down by Nicaea I?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Calculating Easter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
I like the idea.  I never cared to have my wife (Catholic) and I celebrate it on a different day.

Offline NickS

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
Though it would be good to celebrate Pascha with the more accurate astronomical calculations, I understand this won’t be happening soon, though many would like it.
The actual date of celebrating Pascha is not so important to me, as long as our Church agrees on the date and ALL Orthodox Christians celebrate together.
However, in 2018, I am confused about the calculation of the date (which seems to contradict what I have been teaching the youth and adults in our parish. (Forgive me if this clarification has already been entered in this forum).
Calculations of Orthodox Pascha (Easter) are based on the Julian calendar, which differs from the Gregorian calendar by 13 days. This means that Spring Equinox is on April 3rd (Gregorian calendar), which is March 21st (Julian calendar). Pascha (Easter) is set to be celebrated on Sunday April 8th in 2018. But if the “formula” is followed, which I have been putting forward, a different date is arrived at:
Always after Passover, March 30-April 7 (on track)
After the Spring Equinox, April 3rd, (Julian calendar March 21st) (still on track)
After the first full moon, April 29th (previous full moon on March 31st) (off track)
The first Sunday, May 6th (off date).
So why is Pascha celebrated so early in 2018 (April 8th)? Does it have to do with the moon cycle being calculated differently?
I’m not really hung up about this, but would just like to know how to respond if I am asked by one of the Bible class participants. Thanks so very much!
N.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »
Why we should be concerned over what ECs do more than we are concerned over what RCs do? They are all Catholics. It's not our concern what they do.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
Here I was hoping AMM was back.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum