Author Topic: Beer  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: Beer
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
Definitely bad.  I work for a beer distributor in NorCal and there will be price increases on the Duvel Moortgat products (Duvel, Maredsous, La Chouffe and Liefmans) in 2011.

Offline tableserver

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
I always enjoyed Delirium Tremens - a good, if somewhat pricey, beer.  Plus, it has dancing frogs on it...always a good sign.

Enjoying a Delirium right now, but I don't see any frogs on the bottle?  Lots of animals, but no frogs.  :)

Offline Cyprian1975

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »
Might be the old bottles..haven't had any in a while.  Plus, as I recall, there were two types, at least in my area.  But as John Nathan-Turner used to say often, 'The memory cheats."

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
Sam Adams Winter Lager ain't bad...+ u can catch a 12ver on sale for $10.99

Trader Joe's Abbey style brews are a good deal also...

$10.99!!! We think its great in New York when it hits $14.99 PLUS .60 bottle deposit and sales tax of 8%. Where are you located?

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
Just be warned many of those trappist monasteries contain Catholics.
Catholic monks in Catholic monasteries???!!! Don't be ridiculous!!!!
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
My personal favorite is the Italian beer Peroni, which has gotten dang expensive too. App. $9.00 for a six pack (despite my age I am only in school right now)

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »
Where are the Baptist Orthodox aka Copts when we need someone to tell us how sinful drinking is?

Offline PoorFoolNicholas

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Any takers for Natural Light???

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »
Once a week some friends invite me to their house to watch the Falcons play (we live in Atlanta). I gorge myself on their chili and chips and salsa, and then proceed to show my thanks by giving them about 8 cans of that cheapstuff (app.$0.65/beer). But as the commercial used to say, it does go well with food.

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »
I prefer Guinness, Killians, and Sam Adams as my beers, Yuenglings when I'm on a budget, and PBR if I can find it in can format (I have heard it is better in the can). Bud Light has kind of grown on me as I was in Georgia for about 5 weeks of military training and Bud Light seemed to be what everybody bought... But Guinness will always be my top choice for taste, texture and Irish Car Bombs (the drink, not the explosive).
N/OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
Sam Adams Winter Lager ain't bad...+ u can catch a 12ver on sale for $10.99

Trader Joe's Abbey style brews are a good deal also...

$10.99!!! We think its great in New York when it hits $14.99 PLUS .60 bottle deposit and sales tax of 8%. Where are you located?

About 60 miles N/E of Los Angeles and 40 miles S/O Edwards Air Force Base...

Rite Aid, CVS and Safeway usually have the 11 buck specials...

Stay thirsty my friend...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »
Just be warned many of those trappist monasteries contain Catholics.
Catholic monks in Catholic monasteries???!!! Don't be ridiculous!!!!

I've heard rumors of people becoming papist's after consuming real Trappist beer...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline PoorFoolNicholas

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »
I was totally joking. Natural light is awful. ;D

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
"Give beer to those who are perishing." (Proverbs 31:6) There's nothing in the Bible about Natural Light.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:02:19 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
"Give beer to those who are perishing." (Proverbs 31:6) There's nothing in the Bible about Natural Light.

[6] Give strong drink to them that are sad: and wine to them that are grieved in mind

Mine says this. Natty light is neither of these. Obviously, the Jews were talking about a "Tactical Nuclear Penguin"...

15 times stronger than some domestic brews (we’re looking at you Bud Select 55), Tactical Nuclear Penguin and its brew-ther Sink the Bismark IPA* set the world records for the strongest beers on earth at a tolerance destroying 32% and 41% ABV, respectively. Martin and James, the lads at Scotland’s BrewDog Brewery, fed up with the watered-down beers, set about finding a proper alternative. BrewDog’s unique process that lends superlative alcohol content to their beers involves freezing their brew at a local ice cream factory in order to remove water and increase the ABV rating (alcohol by volume). Clearly, a beer of this stature isn’t appropriate for chugging, but in hopes of preventing foolishness, the bottle bears the warning below. We’ve also embedded a video about BrewDog after the jump.
http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/05/18/tactical-nuclear-penguin-beer/

I'm going to need this.

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »

In the circles I am apart of we refer to Natural Light as Natty (playing on the word nasty), because of the very low quality of "beer" that is produced. Honestly, could you even call that filth beer?
N/OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline blessedbeggar

• poor wretch
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »

In the circles I am apart of we refer to Natural Light as Natty (playing on the word nasty), because of the very low quality of "beer" that is produced. Honestly, could you even call that filth beer?

College-folk like Natty Light for 2 reasons...1) it's cheap...2) of the cheap beers, it has the highest alc. content by volume. Drink more for less and get drunk faster...collegiate know-how at it's best.
"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »

College-folk like Natty Light for 2 reasons...1) it's cheap...2) of the cheap beers, it has the highest alc. content by volume. Drink more for less and get drunk faster...collegiate know-how at it's best.

I have heard as much before, but of course I have no great love for our so called institutions of higher learning and this choice of alcoholic drink only fuels my distaste. If only I could afford to go to a university where they still wear academic robes and drink ANYTHING than Natty, but I am a traditionalist...
N/OblSB

Check out my blog...

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »

I wasn't aware that it had the highest % by volume of it's class. Good to know.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline blessedbeggar

• poor wretch
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
-Benjamin Franklin

This is among my favorite quotes...and easily the best thing an American politician has ever contributed...IMHO....lol
"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
-Benjamin Franklin

Amen!
"This is the cross - to become dead to the whole world, to suffer sorrows, temptations and other passions of Christ; in bearing this cross with complete patience, we imitate Christ's passion and thus glorify our God the Father as His sons in grace and co-heirs of Christ." --St. Symeon the New Theologian

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »
Might be the old bottles..haven't had any in a while.  Plus, as I recall, there were two types, at least in my area.  But as John Nathan-Turner used to say often, 'The memory cheats."
John Nathan-Turner? ??? Doctor Who's producer through the 1980's?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline synLeszka

• High Elder
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
Has anyone here drank unpasteurised beer? It tastes good but since it doesn't have many preservatives it has to be consumed quickly.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »
I haven't had many American beers but I found this one from a nearby grocery store. A nice suprise since I haven't seen many American beers around here.

Beer Of The Gods - High & Mighty Beer Co.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13947/30771/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:51:59 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
I haven't had many American beers but I found this one from a nearby grocery store. A nice suprise since I haven't seen many American beers around here.

Beer Of The Gods - High & Mighty Beer Co.

I am underwhelmed by those reviews.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
I haven't had many American beers but I found this one from a nearby grocery sstore. A nice suprise since I haven't seen many American beers around here.

LOL. I didn't even read them myself. Just checked that the points were somewhat decent. Beer hipsterism has been gaining ground here during recent years despite the fact that or goverment is making it's best to keep people from actually enjoying their beer. Nice to see that grocery stores are going with the flow.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »
I haven't had many American beers but I found this one from a nearby grocery sstore. A nice suprise since I haven't seen many American beers around here.

LOL. I didn't even read them myself. Just checked that the points were somewhat decent. Beer hipsterism has been gaining ground here during recent years despite the fact that or goverment is making it's best to keep people from actually enjoying their beer. Nice to see that grocery stores are going with the flow.

Ever tried to brew your own beer?  You could be extra hipsterish if you don suspenders while you do it.  Or even a canvas apron that has a turkey on it saying "Vote for Nixon."
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »

Ever tried to brew your own beer?  You could be extra hipsterish if you don suspenders while you do it.  Or even a canvas apron that has a turkey on it saying "Vote for Nixon."

An apron with Nixon on it saying "I'm not a cook" is even better.

Guinness Stout
Heineken

Disgusting.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:13:19 AM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
Has anyone here drank unpasteurised beer? It tastes good but since it doesn't have many preservatives it has to be consumed quickly.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you don't need to pasteurize beer at all, provided you sanitize your equipment and bottles properly. I'm drinking beer I brewed months ago and it's still good. What does happen if you let beer sit around too long is it slowly oxidizes and turns into malt vinegar; then it's only good for sprinkling on fish and chips.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you don't need to pasteurize beer at all, provided you sanitize your equipment and bottles properly. I'm drinking beer I brewed months ago and it's still good. What does happen if you let beer sit around too long is it slowly oxidizes and turns into malt vinegar; then it's only good for sprinkling on fish and chips.

Right on.  I made a high gravity beer back in 2008 and I still have a few bottles.  Last one I cracked open, it still tasted great.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
Ferdinand's blonde lager. It's been ages since I've had anything from Czech Republic. This one was the cheapest Czech from the tap so it's nothing fancy but on a sunny day like this I don't feel like having anything special.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Just had New Belgium Brewing Co.'s "Skinny Dip."  Refreshing.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
I decided to have a dry June so I've been drinking non-alcohol/low alcohol beers lately. Some are horrible but to my pleasant suprise some are almost drinkable. Beck Lager and Brewdog Nanny State for example are comparable to those bulk lagers that most people drink around here. Can't be compared to various hipster craft beers but quite bearablecstill.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:05:16 PM by Alpo »

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
I decided to have a dry June

Why? Aren't you afraid they'll revoke your Finnish nationality?

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
I once bought a Tesco beer. It cost me IIRC 1.8 zł per can. To my surprise despite it was weak and tasted like it had been dilluted with water it was drinkable. At least more drinkable than most other cheap beer.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2015, 12:50:28 PM »

Drinking is boring. Or to be more specific, alcohol is boring. Also, it's Apostles' fast around here so I thought it could be a good idea to take a break.

Having a dry month is actually quite well-known custom in Finland but usually it's January. Probably due to people drinking too much during Christmas season and around new year. I always thought that it's a dum custom and that it would be more clever to just drink less instead of stopping completely but actually it's quite nice. I might become a teetotaler if someone had invented alcohol-free beer, whiskey etc. that would taste as good the regular ones.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »

Drinking is boring. Or to be more specific, alcohol is boring. Also, it's Apostles' fast around here so I thought it could be a good idea to take a break.

Having a dry month is actually quite well-known custom in Finland but usually it's January. Probably due to people drinking too much during Christmas season and around new year. I always thought that it's a dum custom and that it would be more clever to just drink less instead of stopping completely but actually it's quite nice. I might become a teetotaler if someone had invented alcohol-free beer, whiskey etc. that would taste as good the regular ones.

Interesting story.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
Wut? A story?

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
Wut? A story?

About the Finns not drinking a lot in January.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
Wut? A story?

About the Finns not drinking a lot in January.

It does sound a bit hetetical, doesn't it. Fortunately not everyone keeps it.