Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Beer
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
I have never been into crafts. Even PU is too bitter for me.

But we have only the regular one.

That depends on the craft beer.  Some craft beers are sweet, or sour, rather than bitter.  Actually sour ales and Lambics tend to be among the rarest and most expensive.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:47 AM »
Of late I have suffered discomfort when drinking alcohol; I become flushed and my bowells ache.  Ive never been drunk or hung over in my life

Alcohol intoxication - meet wgw, wgw - meet alcohol intoxication.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
Since I got extremely intoxicated two months ago, I started drinking with much more moderation. Now I've been giving preference to black beers, even the low tier brands are good. Light beer in Brazil is only drinkable if it's medium tier, our average brand is 45% corn and/or rice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:25:50 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Now I've been giving preference to black beers, even the low tier brands are good. Light beer in Brazil is only drinkable if it's medium tier, our average brand is 45% corn and/or rice.

I started to prefer black beers as well.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2016, 11:22:32 AM »

I've been drinking pretty much only craft beers for few years. I got fond of American hops. Now getting tired of them as every brewere seems to be competing on who is able to put more hops on their beer.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »
The more-hops-the-better approach is evident but not everyone is following that trend. You really can't generalize about what "craft beer" is.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »

I've been drinking pretty much only craft beers for few years. I got fond of American hops. Now getting tired of them as every brewere seems to be competing on who is able to put more hops on their beer.

Although IPA and American IPA are quite popular, folks here are enjoying good beer of all sorts; some copies or variations of Old World beers, and others brand new styles. For example, last night I had a Kolsch from Sierra Nevada--delicious. A couple of weeks ago, I was impressed by a Espresso Porter (coffee beers are getting more popular). I haven't had Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, but you have to be tempted to say "only in America." Here is what a reviewer said about this (wildly) experimental beer: "This is barely a coffee beer. There are notes of coffee, but it's got as much to do with coffee as Chipotle has to do with an actual chipotle pepper. That's not to say it's not good -- the sweetness from the maple syrup and the smokiness from the bacon all shine here. If you love experimental beers, you've gotta get your hands on this." https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-27-essential-coffee-beers-ranked

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
The more-hops-the-better approach is evident but not everyone is following that trend. You really can't generalize about what "craft beer" is.

Go to a bar with craft beers on tap and most likely they will be some kind of Pale Ale with lots of American hops. Of course there are lots of other kinds of craft beers too but the most common one seems to be Pale Ales. Fortunately there seems to be more and more Saisons and Porters available. What I would like to see is more wheat beers. 

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
I agree that there is a glut of hoppy IPA's. I prefer other types. I don't know how much is available in Finland but two recent favorites of mine are Victory's Prima Pils and Otter Creek's Couch Surfer (a stout).
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
I agree that there is a glut of hoppy IPA's. I prefer other types. I don't know how much is available in Finland but two recent favorites of mine are Victory's Prima Pils and Otter Creek's Couch Surfer (a stout).

Not too much. AFAIK the craft beer phenonenon was born in the US but Europeans have copied the idea and we make our own beers here. Which is good since many beers don't age well.

I did have one American beer few days back that was so delicious that I could have drank a barrel of it. Yeti (Imperial Stout) by Great Divide Brewing.

Do you guys track your beers? I've started to use Untappd since I bought a smartphone again. It's an easy way to make a sorts of checklist of the beers you've drank. And a good way to stalk how drunkards your friends are.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:43:12 PM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 04:03:33 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2017, 05:38:16 AM »
What is your favorite?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:01:55 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
I went to the distributor to get a 12 bottle (1 bottle = 1 pint) case of a special product made by Dogfish Brewery. When the clerk rang up the case, it said $11 at the top. Pretty good, right? Except.... it said "Tax" next to that. The next line down said

The clerk was nice enough to call his boss and they agreed to let me buy it per bottle instead of buying the whole case.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2018, 06:39:49 AM »
Climate change is about to make your beer more expensive

More frequent droughts and heat waves in the twenty-first century will reduce global production of barley, finds a study published on 15 October in Nature Plants. In turn, it finds, this will decrease the supply of beer and drive up prices, even under best-case-scenario models of climate change.
Guan hopes that helping people understand how climate change could affect their daily lives will motivate them to take action against climate change. If people “want to drink beer when we watch football, then we have to do something”, he says.
But worries about beer pale in comparison to projections how climate change could harm food security generally, says David Reay, a climate-change scientist at the University of Edinburgh, UK.
“I think in that kind of future, I probably will need a beer, because it will be pretty bad,” Reay says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07015-7
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
I hope brewers will stop advertising "We have cans!" as if it were a new technology.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »
I went to the distributor to get a 12 bottle (1 bottle = 1 pint) case of a special product made by Dogfish Brewery. When the clerk rang up the case, it said $11 at the top. Pretty good, right? Except.... it said "Tax" next to that. The next line down said

The clerk was nice enough to call his boss and they agreed to let me buy it per bottle instead of buying the whole case.
Dam. Where do you live? Thats like 1200% tax

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
Beer is good
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
All the time!