Author Topic: Daily Orthodox Life  (Read 434 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
Daily Orthodox Life
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
DAILY ORTHODOX LIFE

1. When you wake up, let your first thought be about God, your first word be a prayer to God your creator and keeper of your life, Who is always able to give life or destroy it, who can strike with illness and heal, and who can save or destroy.

2. Bow and give thanks to God Who raised you from sleep, and Who did not allow you to perish in your sins, but with long-suffering awaited your repentance.

3. Make a start for better things, saying with the Psalmist: "I said, now I have made a beginning" (Ps. 76.11). For no one completes the path to heaven except he who makes a good beginning everyday.

4. From the morning pray like the Seraphim, act like the Cherubim, and be surrounded with angels.

5. Do not waste time any longer. Do only those things which are necessary.

6. In all deeds and words, keep your mind in God; do not write anything in your mind except Christ, and let no image touch your pure heart except the pure image of Christ our God and Savior.

7. Awaken yourself to the love of God in all things, whenever you are able, especially say to yourself with the Psalmist: "In my meditation a fire was kindled" (Ps. 38.4).

8. You desire to love God, Whose visitation you always see and gaze upon with your interior eyes, therefore turn away from all evil deeds, words, and thoughts. Do, say, and think all things honorably, humbly, and with the fear of a son.

9. Let meekness with praise and humility with honor be together.

10. Let your words be quiet, humble, honorable, and useful. Let silence decide the words that you say. From henceforth, let no empty or rotten word escape your lips.

11. If something funny happens, allow yourself only a smile, and this not often.

12. You will fall into prodigality through anger, wrath, and arguing: keep yourself moderate in anger.

13. Always observe moderation in eating and drinking.

14. Be condescending in all things, and God will bless you, and people will praise you.
15. You must pray about your death, which is the end of all things.

~ St. Theophan quoting St. Dimitri of Rostov

(Regarding No. 14, for speakers of American English I am sure there must be a better translation of снисходливый than "condescending"?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:45:27 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
Re: Daily Orthodox Life
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »
"(Regarding No. 14, for speakers of American English I am sure there must be a better translation of снисходливый than "condescending"?)"

Humble?
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
"(Regarding No. 14, for speakers of American English I am sure there must be a better translation of снисходливый than "condescending"?)"

Humble?

That's what I'm thinking

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
All that sounds holy and stuff, but #11 is a drag! And dour, like a dying monastery.
Often think that laughter, being the best medicine, is almost a sacrament.
Not the silly eleven-year-old girl type, nor a derisive or fool's laugher.
But the joy of The Lord cannot help one to not laugh and smile easily.
Either that or that place in hell is a'coming for me, as I will die knowing that laugher cures much.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:51:55 AM by LenInSebastopol »
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
All that sounds holy and stuff, but #11 is a drag! And dour, like a dying monastery.
Either that or that place in hell is a'coming for me, as I will die knowing that laugher cures much.

I'm not sure about 11 either
"The goal of our life is nothing other than cleansing our heart to such an extent that it is able to sing with joy. Thus, prayer of the heart leads to joy of the heart. Nothing is difficult for a joyful person, because he has love."
- Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
 :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:52:49 AM by Alxandra »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Blog http://a-nastacia.tumblr.com/

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »

I have a few questions....

"15. You must pray about your death, which is the end of all things."

Pray what?  That I die soon?  That I die quickly and painlessly?  That I don't die for a while?  That I don't die until I am worthy?
...and "end of all things" is inaccurate.  It is definitely NOT the end of ALL things.

and...

"12. You will fall into prodigality through anger, wrath, and arguing: keep yourself moderate in anger."

I thought we weren't supposed to get angry, at all....not even moderately angry....because when we anger, we've actually lost our balance and given in to evil.

Sure there is "righteous" anger, and God has even been angry before....but,....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
I'm not sure I understand 15 unless he is just saying that we should pray for a good defense in the Day of Judgment.

There is nothing wrong with anger as long as it does not lead to sin. St. Paul states in Ephesians: "be angry and sin not, do not let the sun go down on your wrath." Anger in itself is not wrong, but if we dwell on it, let it boil within us or use the anger as a justification for sin, then it is wrong. For example, we can be angry with the situation in Syria, but we ought to use that to propel us to pray more intensely for those being persecuted. If we instead start advocating torturing captured ISIS militants as revenge, then we have allowed our passions to overtake us.
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »

Christ never laughed in all of the Gospels. There are quite a few opinions on the matter of laughter, I'm sure each have their good points.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:54:36 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »

Pray what?  That I die soon?  That I die quickly and painlessly?  That I don't die for a while?  That I don't die until I am worthy?
...and "end of all things" is inaccurate.  It is definitely NOT the end of ALL things.

and...

"12. You will fall into prodigality through anger, wrath, and arguing: keep yourself moderate in anger."

I thought we weren't supposed to get angry, at all....not even moderately angry....because when we anger, we've actually lost our balance and given in to evil.

Sure there is "righteous" anger, and God has even been angry before....but,....

Keep in mind this was translated from the Russian. He could mean to think about death, remember that we all die and we shouldn't waste our God given time here. It's like what St Silouan said, "keep your mind in hell and despair not"

Anger is a gift from God. Saint Paul says to be angry against the passions, sins and the demons. However we normally use anger in the wrong way.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

I assume what is meant here is something along the lines of, "A Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgment seat of Christ, let us ask..."

Christ never laughed in all of the Gospels. There are quite a few opinions on the matter of laughter, I'm sure each have their good points.
The Gospels by their nature focus only on the essentials. An argument from absence isn't a very strong one when the Evangelist tells us, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »

I'm sure He didn't scowl at the children he was blessing either. :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:02:15 PM by Arachne »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »

I'm sure He didn't scowl at the children he was blessing either. :)

+1

But He may have stuck His tongue out and made a face too, just to make them laugh.
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »
Here is a Homily about Laughter by Archbishop John Shakhovskoy of blessed memory.

There are two kinds of laughter, light and dark. They can be easily distinguished from one another by the laughing person's eyes and smile. You can also distinguish the two within yourself by what kind of spirit accompanies the laughter. In the absence of a light joy, a subtle feeling of light-heartedness, the laughter is not light. If what you feel within your breast is coarse and dry, and you are wearing a crooked smile, then the laughter is filthy. [That type of laugh] always follows some type of joke, something that mocks the harmony of the world. Distorting harmony in the world also distorts one's soul, and that is reflected in one's twisted facial expression.

Woe unto you that laugh now! For ye shall mourn and weep. (Luke 6: 25). Ye shall weep! For you took joy in what you should not, in what merits torment.

"A serene smile," is the mirror of discovered harmony. The saints smile without laughing. Laughter, as the fullness of clean joy, is the condition of the age to come. Blessed are ye that weep now, for ye shall laugh. Ascetic experience in one's enlightening and transfiguration even recommends smiling without showing one's teeth (better to have a little less joy than to have even a fleeting moment of impurity therein!)

"Joking laughter" - the laughter heard in films, theaters, at parties and soirees, casually ridiculing one's neighbor, laughing at weaknesses and human dignity for the sake of amusement and to forget sorrow, pointless laughter, and vain ridicule of others - all these are a spiritual disease. More precisely, they can be characterized as symptoms of spiritual disease.

In the world of the spirits are unclean spirits, spirits seen in the faces of those roaring with laughter… Angelic joy puts a smile on the face. Healthy laughter can quietly dissipate the gathering clouds of evil argumentativeness, enmity, and even murder... Good laughter restores friendships and the family hearth. Caustic, sarcastic laughter is not of God. A sarcastic smile, biting sarcasm, is a mockery of the Gospel salt of wisdom. It is mockery contained in a twisted smile.

Words of sharp witticism always cut open the soul. Sharpness is sharpness whether the knife is held by a surgeon or by a brigand; yet it can be used to diametrically opposite effect. Incision can allow in the Heavenly Light and the warmth of the Spirit, can be employed in order to excise rotting tissue and to ablate necrosis. Yet there is a sharpness that is not beneficial, one that cuts, carelessly cuts up the soul, and often kills.

Only the saints are incisive, and only the holy is incisive. Unclean spirits are a mockery of incisiveness, and many people in the world hone their ability to speak their minds with such wittiness, such [mock] incisiveness.

The boundary between clean and unclean laughter is "Homeric laughter," cackling, roaring laughter... This is the kind of laughter encountered at opulent banquets.Who is vigilant, remaining pious in cognizance of the Mystery of his life, will be vigilant with respect to his entire life, including his laughter. Before God, he will even watch how he smiles. For him, and with the help of his invisible protectors, everything will be clean and bright.

Just like children, the saints illumined the world both with their weeping and with their smiles. Only children and those who have true love for Christ possess that purity of life that can be seen with human eyes - seen even in their facial expression. For children as yet untainted by the spirit of corruption, everything is direct and pure. For them, death has not yet revealed itself to mock their mortality. They still possess the spring of life both as a beginning and a memory of Heaven. Thus, their vision and laughter is clean and pure, they speak without dissembling, they find it easy to weep, and to forget that they had been weeping... "Except ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven…" The reason is clear. The greatest praise for a person is "He has the laughter of a child"… incorrupt laughter, approaching Heavenly harmony.

http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/homilies/HomiliesE/e_Laughter.htm

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Believed on in the world, received up in glory.
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »
The Gospels by their nature focus only on the essentials. An argument from absence isn't a very strong one when the Evangelist tells us, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

Tell that to St Basil the Great.  He makes the very point Peacemaker made in his monastic rule. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

Tell that to St Basil the Great.  He makes the very point Peacemaker made in his monastic rule. 

But Peacemaker is copying all these blocks of text not as a monastic rule but what is supposedly to be practiced by all.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Believed on in the world, received up in glory.
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »

But Peacemaker is copying all these blocks of text not as a monastic rule but what is supposedly to be practiced by all.

I wasn't endorsing a life of weeping and gnashing of teeth, but merely pointing out that greater minds than ours have said similar things, and so it's not so easy to dismiss unless you just don't care (which is always an option, I suppose). 

In any case, I don't see anything in the OP that is uniquely "monastic". 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:45:51 PM by Mor Ephrem »
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »

A hallmark of the blasphemous Gnostic gospels from Nag Hammadi and elsewhere is their depiction of s laughing Christ.  In particular the one where Christ changes shape to resemble Judas, so Judas gets crucified, and laughs at him.  I think that was in The Gospel of Philip.  The Muslims later borrowed that story sans he laughing and it features in the apparently Islamic Gospel According to Barnabas, which was the basis for the recent Iranian film Jesus of Nazareth.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
By the way no. 11 becomes less of a drag when one realizes that most things we laugh at are the misfortunes of others, or even the innocence of children and animals.  We should never do the former; the fact that the Rule of St. Benedict bans it is what got me interested in monasticism, which preceded my becoming Orthodox.  I am still contemplating a vocation.  The ideal of living in a place where your brothers are forbidden to make fun of you is appealing, but I'm not sure if that specific rule is followed by all Orthodox monasteries, or if some might intentionally appear to make fun of novices in order to destroy their pride.  If I become a monk I need to find a monastery where the novice master is not of the drill sergeant mentality but rather a father figure.   Regarding children and animals we should properly regard their innocence and humorous antics as cute, but avoid laughing at them.

When one bears that in mind the occasions for laughter are reduced.  In fact that list is a very healthy list.  I agree with it more than the tougher and IMO somewhat uncharitable 50 item checklist authored by Fr. Thomas Hopko.  I'm fact I agree with it completely.  I lament my arthritis is keeping me from getting things done as quickly or as efficiently as I would prefer.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
Here is a Homily about Laughter by Archbishop John Shakhovskoy of blessed memory.

Woe unto you that laugh now! For ye shall mourn and weep. (Luke 6: 25). Ye shall weep! For you took joy in what you should not, in what merits torment.
 "Except ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven…" The reason is clear. The greatest praise for a person is "He has the laughter of a child"… incorrupt laughter, approaching Heavenly harmony.

http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/homilies/HomiliesE/e_Laughter.htm

Good intentions but merciful deletion fixed some of this homily.  He had so much to say about wrong laughter, and so little to say about good laughter.

Offline Peacemaker

• The cat
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »

A hallmark of the blasphemous Gnostic gospels from Nag Hammadi and elsewhere is their depiction of s laughing Christ.  In particular the one where Christ changes shape to resemble Judas, so Judas gets crucified, and laughs at him.  I think that was in The Gospel of Philip.  The Muslims later borrowed that story sans he laughing and it features in the apparently Islamic Gospel According to Barnabas, which was the basis for the recent Iranian film Jesus of Nazareth.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.