Author Topic: Stone Age Temple May Be Birthplace of Civilization  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Stone Age Temple May Be Birthplace of Civilization
« on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »
It's more than twice as old as the Pyramids, or even the written word. When it was built, saber-toothed tigers and woolly mammoths still roamed, and the Ice Age had just ended.

The elaborate temple at Gobelki Tepe in southeastern Turkey, near the Syrian border, is staggeringly ancient: 11,500 years old, from a time just before humans learned to farm grains and domesticate animals.

According to the German archaeologist in charge of excavations at the site, it might be the birthplace of agriculture, of organized religion — of civilization itself...

You can read the rest of the article at: Stone Age Temple May Be Birthplace of Civilization

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
Re: Stone Age Temple May Be Birthplace of Civilization
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »
Fascinating!
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
What a wonder!  If anyone else stumbles on additional articles relating to this, please post them here!
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."" Isaac Asimov

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »
Long ago there was a band called The Stone Age Temple Pilots...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »
Here is a link to the Smithsonian article.

This might be the place where Noah offered the sacrifices to god. Don't tell any Armenians these are ancient Turks. ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:49:17 AM by Demetrios G. »

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
A trust worthy source...thanks

Bones Fan
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
Thanks for the Smithsonian link.  Great stuff!
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."" Isaac Asimov

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
This article suggests it could refer to the Garden of Eden:

the Eden story, in Genesis, tells us of humanity's innocent and leisured hunter-gatherer past, when we could pluck fruit from the trees, scoop fish from the rivers and spend the rest of our days in pleasure. But then we 'fell' into the harsher life of farming, with its ceaseless toil and daily grind. And we know primitive farming was harsh, compared to the relative indolence of hunting, because of the archaeological evidence.
Adam the hunter was forced out of his glorious Eden, 'to till the earth from whence he was taken' - as the Bible puts it.

In the Book of Genesis, it is indicated that Eden is west of Assyria. Sure enough, this is where Gobekli is sited. Likewise, biblical Eden is by four rivers, including the Tigris and Euphrates. And Gobekli lies between both of these. In ancient Assyrian texts, there is mention of a 'Beth Eden' - a house of Eden. This minor kingdom was 50 miles from Gobekli Tepe. Another book in the Old Testament talks of 'the children of Eden which were in Thelasar', a town in northern Syria, near Gobekli. The very word 'Eden' comes from the Sumerian for 'plain'; Gobekli lies on the plains of Harran. Thus, when you put it all together, the evidence is persuasive. Gobekli Tepe is, indeed, a 'temple in Eden', built by our leisured and fortunate ancestors - people who had time to cultivate art, architecture and complex ritual, before the traumas of agriculture ruined their lifestyle, and devastated their paradise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1157784/Do-mysterious-stones-mark-site-Garden-Eden.html

It says that the land was lush but then ruined into a desert by farming and cutting trees.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:22:58 PM by rakovsky »

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:38:44 AM »
I saw a documentary about human civilization and plants in BBC, close to the end of it they showed this temple, it is amazing.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
I saw a documentary about human civilization and plants in BBC, close to the end of it they showed this temple, it is amazing.
A rather interesting fact is that if you go to the Nile region, to the Tigris and Euphrates, to the Indus and Ghaggar, and to Gobekli Tepe, all seats of Civilization, you will usually find a lot of desert. It's very dry.

And yet back in the day when there were civilizations there, they were like the Missisippi river - a strong river flowing through heartland and making it a bountiful area for national farming.

More like this:

Than this:

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:48 AM »
Very interesting article.  I hope ISIS does not get a hold of the site.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Very interesting article.  I hope ISIS does not get a hold of the site.
Well, the site is in Turkey, whereas Turkey is observing and looking over ISIS ruining Syria. So it's not much more likely than ISIS capturing Mecca, Qatar or Jerusalem.