Author Topic: Thanksgiving Services?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
Thanksgiving Services?
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:59 PM »
Growing up Protestant, we always had church services either Thanksgiving morning or the night before. I have not personally observed this in Orthodoxy. It makes sense, as it is a secular holiday, but one would think there is some kind of generic service of thanksgiving that could be served. (Ancient Faith Radio airs the Akathist "Glory to God For All Things" on Thanksgiving, which is nice.)

Does your parish have a special service on Thanksgiving (or its analogue in your country)?

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
Re: Thanksgiving Services?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »
I have attended both a ROCOR and OCA parish for an extended period of time and both serve a Thanksgiving Moleben every year. 
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Clare G.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »
I happened upon this link
http://orthocath.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/an-orthodox-thanksgiving/

I don't know how much these services are used.

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »
My parish has a service on Thanksgiving, but unfortunately I have to work.

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »
I happened upon this link
http://orthocath.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/an-orthodox-thanksgiving/

I don't know how much these services are used.

Wow, that's great! Thank you for the link.

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »
Greek church down the street does a Thanksgiving DL.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »
Growing up Protestant, we always had church services either Thanksgiving morning or the night before. I have not personally observed this in Orthodoxy. It makes sense, as it is a secular holiday, but one would think there is some kind of generic service of thanksgiving that could be served. (Ancient Faith Radio airs the Akathist "Glory to God For All Things" on Thanksgiving, which is nice.)

Does your parish have a special service on Thanksgiving (or its analogue in your country)?
Nothing on that day.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:16 PM »

I know my church does a DL every Thanksgiving morning and allows for a break in the fast for Thanksgiving day.
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »
I have attended both a ROCOR and OCA parish for an extended period of time and both serve a Thanksgiving Moleben every year. 

Same here.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »

I know my church does a DL every Thanksgiving morning and allows for a break in the fast for Thanksgiving day.
I don't actually care at all whether someone fasts or not, but nobody needs clerical approval if they can't go without turkey that day. The rules are the rules though. They should not be bent like that.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."