OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:16:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stealing another's breath/energy  (Read 3142 times) Average Rating: 0
SRD

« on: November 19, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »

I am writing to see if you can shed some light on something that confounds my rational mind.

It is to do with taking energy from other people. It happens to me several times a week. It involves a feeling of an energy vacuum or hole appearing in my chest, and a corresponding gain of energy from the nearest person. This usually results in them taking a sudden intake of breath, or suddenly coughing. It starts as an unconscious process (I can never initiate it myself), where the energy vacuum appears in my chest, but continues as a conscious process, where I choose to continue with this 'grab' of energy.

So, in effect, I can cause people to lose their breath, and breath in suddenly, or suddenly cough, all because of this channel that occurs.

I have tried searching Google for any clues to see what this, and have only found a website about energy vampires. That website wasn't accurately describing what happens for me.

This phenomenon can't be interpreted through physics or science, which is why I am writing to you, to see if you can explain what is happening, why it is happening, and to point me in the right direction to learn more about things which can't be described by the rational mind and science.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »

Maybe you have been playing too many video games.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »

Have you read the Edgar Allen Poe story "Loss of Breath"?
SRD

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »

Hahaha.

I wish it were true.  Sometimes I doubt what happens, but there is no real denying it.

I don't blame you for doubting it either, as it is outside the rational mind's model of reality.  It may require an altered model of reality, but most of the responses I have read on other forums have been new-age junk, second hand fairy tales, or simple guesses.

Someone somewhere has an answer.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »

Hahaha.

I wish it were true.  Sometimes I doubt what happens, but there is no real denying it.

I don't blame you for doubting it either, as it is outside the rational mind's model of reality.  It may require an altered model of reality, but most of the responses I have read on other forums have been new-age junk, second hand fairy tales, or simple guesses.

Demons.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »

Hahaha.

There are some pretty decent books on what might be happening to you (or what you may be unconsciously doing). I have a book on energy vampires, but not sure of the title. It might be this.

In any event, have you tried to radiate compassion from your heart area, to the other person(s), or to the world in general? It might be the case that you would need to practice this on one's own first, before being successful at it in the world. You could visualize Jesus in the heart area, radiating compassion to the other person(s).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

Continue your duties in the Church, praying,Making the Sign of the Holy Cross, etc. and don't pay any attention to it. The more attention payed the worse it will get. Ignore it and continue your Orthodox duties.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
SRD

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

Rufus, I just read the short story, and I struggle to find it's relevance.

Also, if you believe in demons, which occupy no place in a rational model of the universe and reality, then you may as well believe in a phenomenon a little less like a fairy tale told to children.

Jetavan: have you any idea how an energy vampire can defy, or surpass the laws of physics?  If this phenomenon actually occurs, what do we need to do to our scientific model of reality to accommodate it?  

Rafa999: I am not religious, and I have no duties to the church.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »

...therein lies the problem.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SRD

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »

LizaSymonenko: an all too simplistic and easy response for a member of the church to make.

Are you attempting to posit that if I join the church and worship God, this problem which defies science will go away?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:25:49 PM by SRD » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »

Jetavan: have you any idea how an energy vampire can defy, or surpass the laws of physics?
The laws of physics, as currently defined by modern Western science, do not describe these phenomena. Modern science, as currently practiced, does not entertain the possibility of the reality of these phenomena.
If this phenomenon actually occurs, what do we need to do to our scientific model of reality to accommodate it?  
We need to develop a skeptical attitude toward our assumptions that the nature of mind and consciousness is such that mind and consciousness are merely emergent properties of physical phenomena. Research on "energy vampire" phenomena, I believe, may be too complicated for modern science to address just yet. A more fruitful area is the study of Near Death Experiences, where people claim veridical NDEs in which the NDE results in information that can be verified by independent observers.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »

You are facing either a spiritual problem or a psychological/neurological problem. For the former faith/church/prayer are the only aids. For the latter you should see a doctor.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »

Rufus, I just read the short story, and I struggle to find it's relevance.

Sorry, I wasn't being serious. I wasn't sure if you were being serious either.

Also, if you believe in demons, which occupy no place in a rational model of the universe and reality, then you may as well believe in a phenomenon a little less like a fairy tale told to children.

I'm afraid most everyone here believes in demons. That's why we do exorcisms. They have been experienced by large numbers of people. Demons may have no place in your universe, but neither do we.

Jetavan: have you any idea how an energy vampire can defy, or surpass the laws of physics?  If this phenomenon actually occurs, what do we need to do to our scientific model of reality to accommodate it?  

Oh goodness. Energy vampires yes, demons no.

Rafa999: I am not religious, and I have no duties to the church.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »

It's demons obviously. Make the Sign of the Cross next time, Holy water on your front door and dwellings, meanwhile confess your sins and receive the Eucharist. You will never "suck energy" again. I actually know of a similar case of someone who thought Satan was "restricting his free will" by putting a barrier around him. The more he payed attention the worse. Eventually it went into full blown posession, he would spen hours screaming that he was "A---Christ". No joke. Don't pay attention, do your duties it will go away. Beware the danger of Prelest otherwise known as spiritual delusion.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »

LizaSymonenko: an all too simplistic and easy response for a member of the church to make.

Are you attempting to posit that if I join the church and worship God, this problem which defies science will go away?

No.  I am just suggesting that you join the Church, which will arm you with tools that you might require to fight against the issues you seem to be having.

...and yes, it's always a good thing to worship God....in that sense it is simple.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »

I am writing to see if you can shed some light on something that confounds my rational mind.

It is to do with taking energy from other people. It happens to me several times a week. It involves a feeling of an energy vacuum or hole appearing in my chest, and a corresponding gain of energy from the nearest person. This usually results in them taking a sudden intake of breath, or suddenly coughing. It starts as an unconscious process (I can never initiate it myself), where the energy vacuum appears in my chest, but continues as a conscious process, where I choose to continue with this 'grab' of energy.

So, in effect, I can cause people to lose their breath, and breath in suddenly, or suddenly cough, all because of this channel that occurs.

I have tried searching Google for any clues to see what this, and have only found a website about energy vampires. That website wasn't accurately describing what happens for me.

This phenomenon can't be interpreted through physics or science, which is why I am writing to you, to see if you can explain what is happening, why it is happening, and to point me in the right direction to learn more about things which can't be described by the rational mind and science.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Along with what others suggested, you might want to talk to someone trained in traditional Chinese medicine.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »

No.  I am just suggesting that you join the Church, which will arm you with tools that you might require to fight against the issues you seem to be having.

...and yes, it's always a good thing to worship God....in that sense it is simple.

I would also talk to a doctor, just to make sure you have all your bases covered (ie in case you're nuts).
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »

What kind of response were you expecting?  You posted on an Orthodox *Christian* board.   Huh

Actually, most of us would believe that if you attempted to join the church things might get worse before they get better.  

Agree with Quinalt.  Of course, I would have no way of knowing which one since I don't know you personally.  I also believe that making the sign of the cross would be a benefit regardless.  
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »

Respectfully, I would not wish to take energy from others, nor would I want them to take it from me.

For your spiritual good, please see an Orthodox priest.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »

So why did you come looking for advice from adherents of a fairytale religion?

SRD

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »

Rafa (and most of the other responders to his post): when you confront something that is outside the information that you have been taught, is there a reason why you believe it must be a demon?

Out of all the infinite possibilities, in an infinite universe, still inadequately understood by humankind, the only thing you can come up with is a demon?  Isn't that a little small-minded?  Isn't that called religious dogma?

And how can you be sure enough to exclude every other possibility and call your solution obvious?

Although I am sure you are a very helpful, and sincere person, you sound like you are reciting a primary school maths times-table, without actually thinking about the problem.

Iconodule: thank you for having a broad enough mind to consider the possibility that what I have described may of actually taken place.  

To everyone: apologies for interrupting your more normal holy and orthodox fight against demons (and of course witches, ogres, and orcs).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »

Quote from: SRD
Out of all the infinite possibilities, in an infinite universe, still inadequately understood by humankind, the only thing you can come up with is a demon?  Isn't that a little small-minded?  Isn't that called religious dogma?

What is the title of this website?

If you didn't want spiritual help, why are you here? Were you pulling our collective leg all along? Did you pretend to have a problem that you really don't have?

Quote from: SRD
To everyone: apologies for interrupting your more normal holy and orthodox fight against demons (and of course witches, ogres, and orcs).

Did you want a library instead of a religious site? There must be one near you.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

So it seems that you allow for any type of spirituality other than Christianity. It seems you think you already know the answer and don't really want any help. If you really wanted help you would at least look into every possible explanation.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

Iconodule: thank you for having a broad enough mind to consider the possibility that what I have described may of actually taken place.  

Nobody said they didn't believe you.  In fact, it's because we DID believe what you said that we suggested you look for help.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »

Is it just a coincidence that the poster used D&D lingo for their username?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »

Rafa (and most of the other responders to his post): when you confront something that is outside the information that you have been taught, is there a reason why you believe it must be a demon?

We don't: I think it's more likely that you have psychiatric issues or an incredible imagination.

No, it's not dogma, because we acknowledge that you might be nuts. Demons are another possibility.

And how can you be sure enough to exclude every other possibility and call your solution obvious?

No one did this. You're the one excluding possibilities because it's "obvious."

Although I am sure you are a very helpful, and sincere person, you sound like you are reciting a primary school maths times-table, without actually thinking about the problem.

It's that bizarre.

LOL

You can join us if you like. (but we don't believe in such nonsense as witches and orcs).

How old are you, who are you, and do you have any history of mental problems?
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

Yes because I just encountered  two weeks ago two cases similar to this in which the demons tried to get the person's attention. In one case by making the person think there was a sort of barrier around him and trying to guide his behavior, in the other by giving the person the ability to see what was going on in a house with a corrupted altar and blackmailing the person into doing what it wanted to not harm the people in the house. Next the demon will try to convince you that you can willfully control the absorbtion of the energy, but if you listen to it it will allow you to not absorb energy and the other person will be ok. If you disobey it will try to make you think that you are harming others next to you so you must obey it. Make the Sign of the Cross, also an icon or medal of Saint Michael, and of course crosses and Holy water everywhere (front door very good) will help. Also absolution from sins and Eucharist.

Likewise reading the Fathers there are stories of monks who were nearly drowned into their death by demons who convinced them that they would be the next Patriarch of Constantinople if they went first to Greece in the boat next to them (making sign of the cross suddenly the boat disappears, one more step death by drowning) or Monks who were duped into hanging themselves by visions shaped like talking birds claiming to be the Holy Spirit, and who gave them prophecies which turned out to be true first to make sure they believed the next instruction. Hundreds of cases like this.

laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »

Don't you find it ironic that you are being dismissive of religious explanations on a religiously oriented forum, when you began this thread by claiming that you steal people's "energy" through a vacuum in your chest on the basis of a subjective physical sensation?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »

Is it just a coincidence that the poster used D&D lingo for their username?

LOL I never played video games. Kudos.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »

There is probably a sound, logical explanation for this.  You aren't punching said person in the solar plexus right before they loose their breath, are you?  Otherwise, I got nothing.  Se a priest or a psychologist,which ever meets your fancy.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »

What is wrong with this forum? First Alfred, then Swami, then this guy!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:13:32 PM by Rufus » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »

...demons.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 07:19:18 PM »

Not to defend SRD, but I have to object to the assumption that, if it's not explicable by Western modern medicine, then it must be a) demons or b) psychological problems. That is indeed very small-minded.

SRD

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »

laconicstudent: it is ironic, I agree.

I am probably in the wrong forum, and I apologise for wasting your time, for not taking your religion seriously, and for trying to poke fun at you.

I admire you for having faith in a God, but I don't understand where your concrete faith comes from.

A question: do you understand an athiest's position about not being able to believe in a God?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »

laconicstudent: it is ironic, I agree.

I am probably in the wrong forum, and I apologise for wasting your time, for not taking your religion seriously, and for trying to poke fun at you.

I admire you for having faith in a God, but I don't understand where your concrete faith comes from.

A question: do you understand an athiest's position about not being able to believe in a God?

I don't play games.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

I think I have the answer you are desiring; you have supernatural powers come join the team.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »

I certainly understand an agnostic's point of view. As for faith, it is a gift from above--not to say it cannot be substantiated, but it is nonetheless a gift from above.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »

Not to defend SRD, but I have to object to the assumption that, if it's not explicable by Western modern medicine, then it must be a) demons or b) psychological problems. That is indeed very small-minded.

I never said that's all it could be. It's just the only explanations I am able to give. I find the alternatives highly unlikely, albeit let us know if you discover a new theory of physics.
SRD

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »

I don't recall asking anyone to play a game.  

I believe I was asking you a pretty reasonable question.  If there is no answer, so be it.  If you feel challenged by the question, that's your problem.

Quinault: Funny.  But if you were trying to belittle me don't bother.

Rufus: thanks, I think I agree.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

I was an atheist most of my life. I slowly began to realize that there is a world beyond senses and beyond reason, and that reason, while a high faculty of man, is not his highest faculty.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

I don't recall asking anyone to play a game.  

I believe I was asking you a pretty reasonable question.  If there is no answer, so be it.  If you feel challenged by the question, that's your problem.

Quinault: Funny.  But if you were trying to belittle me don't bother.

Rufus: thanks, I think I agree.

Seriously....people were offering you actual advice that they felt would help you.

When we directed you to see a priest...we weren't making "fun" of you. 

Personally, I think it would do you good to take a look at Orthodoxy and consider it as a way of life.

You asked for our advice...and you got it.

Maybe, it's not the answer you were looking for.  Sorry.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »

There have been several explanations offered, you have rejected all of them. Again, it seems you think you already know the answer; otherwise why would you reject ideas without exploring them?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »

I never said that's all it could be. It's just the only explanations I am able to give. I find the alternatives highly unlikely, albeit let us know if you discover a new theory of physics.

No need. Indian and Chinese healers have been dealing with energy-related illnesses for a long time already. Is it substantiated by modern physics? Can you prove the existence of the colour blue using only the sense of touch?

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »

SRD, give us your name so I can post an ancient prayer for exorcism allowed to laymen by the ACOE here, so we can pray for you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:32:31 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

SRD

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »

Iconodule: I think I agree with you.  But I have trouble accepting conventional Christianity's explanation of God, angels, demons et al.  

It's probably true that faith is very personal.

Liza: don't apologise.  Maybe I should of taken your suggestion of seeing a priest with a more broader mind myself.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: