OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 06:55:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dominican sisters to appear again on ‘Oprah’  (Read 2239 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »

One of the nation’s most thriving religious communities has announced that some of its members will be featured for a second time this year on the Oprah Winfrey Show. The show will air on November 23.

“The response from the first show was so positive that the Sisters were asked if we would be open to another opportunity to share our life,” the community said in a statement. “We have accepted this invitation in the hopes of reaching an audience we might not otherwise reach with the witness of our life and the Gospel. Please join us in praying that the show will be for the good of souls and the honor of God.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »

Let's hope that this show results in bringing more to know the Love of Jesus Christ. Heck, God could even bring Oprah back to the Christian faith.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:04:27 AM »

I love these gals. I can't wait for the rebel "sisters" to recede into insignificance while the traditional orders continue to flourish.

FROM

TO

FROM

TO

(Sr. Olga, that last nun, I saw her at Mass yesterday. Love her.)
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »

We had a nun helping in the midwestern parish I was at growing up, and I never saw her in anything but secular clothing. I was also accustomed to acoustic guitars and modern (read: basically iconoclastic) architecture and aesthetics.

It is really only after coming to Orthodoxy that I have discovered anything about traditional Roman Catholicism, and it is beautiful to me. I still eventually will seek my priest's blessing to attend the SSPX High Latin Mass down the street on some Sunday, but I think it should wait for a good while, because there are many issues of sensitivity around it. It is also because I really need to take the Eucharist as much as possible right now. The thought of missing communion for a week to go and observe another service rather than participate seems imprudent.

Also, I honestly don't wish to risk romanticizing the environment or second guessing my decision to be Orthodox based off of the aesthetic beauty. I really don't have any regrets about going through with it as God is doing amazing things and bringing real change and repentance, but more than anything else I think it might provide the evil one an opportunity to disturb my peace. End of long personal rant.

Anybody care to explain the difference between the white and black habits?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:37:48 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:52 AM »

The sisters who haven't taken their final vows wear the white habits. They take on the black habit when they become full members.

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »

So are they a step above a novice or inquirer into the way of life? Actually, perhaps it would just be simpler to delineate the various stages from start to finish. This really isn't even something I fully understand in Orthodoxy.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:31:26 AM »

Postulants don't wear habits. When they become novices, they put the white habit on, and upon perpetual vows they put on the black.

Keep in mind this is not the case for all female religious orders.

For example, the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration (Mother Angelica's order) look like this:

The two women in the front (one black, one white), are postulants, the two in the back are novices, and the two in the center are vowed.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:42:49 AM »

For another example, here are the Missionaries of Charity. I think you might be familiar with the foundress of that order:

As you can see here, the novices have a different habit without the blue stripes:

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »

We had a nun helping in the midwestern parish I was at growing up, and I never saw her in anything but secular clothing. I was also accustomed to acoustic guitars and modern (read: basically iconoclastic) architecture and aesthetics.

It is really only after coming to Orthodoxy that I have discovered anything about traditional Roman Catholicism, and it is beautiful to me. I still eventually will seek my priest's blessing to attend the SSPX High Latin Mass down the street on some Sunday, but I think it should wait for a good while, because there are many issues of sensitivity around it. It is also because I really need to take the Eucharist as much as possible right now. The thought of missing communion for a week to go and observe another service rather than participate seems imprudent.

Also, I honestly don't wish to risk romanticizing the environment or second guessing my decision to be Orthodox based off of the aesthetic beauty. I really don't have any regrets about going through with it as God is doing amazing things and bringing real change and repentance, but more than anything else I think it might provide the evil one an opportunity to disturb my peace. End of long personal rant.

I praise God that you have found a liturgy more in line with the traditions of the church. The situation in much of the United States is very dismal, but things are getting much better. My parish is amazing. Lots of incense, ad orientem, beautiful vestments and statues, etc.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:51 AM »

I love these gals. I can't wait for the rebel "sisters" to recede into insignificance while the traditional orders continue to flourish.

FROM

TO

FROM

TO

(Sr. Olga, that last nun, I saw her at Mass yesterday. Love her.)

curiousity, to which order does Sister Olga belong?

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »

Sister Olga of the Eucharist had founded an order in the Assyrian Church of the East in Iraq, where she is from. She became a Catholic in Iraq. Now here in Boston, she is a consecrated hermit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:08:43 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

I praise God that you have found a liturgy more in line with the traditions of the church. The situation in much of the United States is very dismal, but things are getting much better. My parish is amazing. Lots of incense, ad orientem, beautiful vestments and statues, etc.

I love Latin Mass. I was able to attend a Latin mass at one of the large Polish churches on one Sunday and it was beautiful. I've been to newer styled Catholic services and it just feels foreign whereas the Latin Mass is more familiar. I remember that when I was a child, when we did go to church, we went to Latin mass. I'm happy that some of the Catholic churches in my city were able to keep some of their traditional stuff (especially the Basilica in the city) but not all of them. There are a few, while beautifil on the outside, were gutted on the inside with the statues, relics, and alter were hauled out to the dumpster out back. It is very sad. I think they did do some of that at the Basilica (not as much however) and it really saddens me because I have ancestors who helped build the church.  The church that has Latin mass on Sunday no longer has its old alter. They have some new thing up there where they keep the Eucharist and you can tell that it was put there in the 60's and it doesn't match well with the rest of the church at all. That parish is blessed though since the priest who is very traditional and really doesn't like all the silly stuff that happens. Hopefully, his attitude becomes the norm eventually in the Roman Catholic Church.

I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to Orthodox-Catholic relations because, after seeing so much of the spirit of Vatican II playing out so strongly, I have become convinced that the Roman Church is just too different and that any fruitful conversations between our churches would be pointless. I am appalled by a lot of the practices in the Catholic Church though, seeing the Latin mass and seeing that some actually care about the traditions gives me hope for something at least. Hope that more of the Catholic faithful return to its older practices. Anyway, I don't think this post is really relevant to the OP.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »

Sister Olga of the Eucharist had founded an order in the Assyrian Church of the East in Iraq, where she is from. She became a Catholic in Iraq. Now here in Boston, she is a consecrated hermit.

Ah, that probably explains why her habit looks so familiar; it's very similar to one being worn by one of the Chaldean orders. Being a hermit in Boston would be no easy accomplishment.

Off-topic, but I do wonder why she (apparently) became a Latin, rather than Chaldean, Catholic.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: