OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:18:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: book questions  (Read 1043 times) Average Rating: 0
Bob L.

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: November 19, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »

1) I have heard that the philokalia, gerontikon, and unseen warfare are useful.  Can someone point me to a good version of these on amazon?  I don't know enough about what they are to know what to buy.

2) I have 3 books that seem to be a translation of unseen warfare, but I can't figure out which is first, second, third.

3) On the ladder of divine ascent, I feel like I am getting in over my head after the first few chapters.  I have assumed that the 30 steps in the ladder are somewhat sequential, so there is no benefit to read about later steps when I am still trying to work on the early steps.  But I just wanted to be sure that is true.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »

1) I have heard that the philokalia, gerontikon, and unseen warfare are useful.  Can someone point me to a good version of these on amazon?  I don't know enough about what they are to know what to buy.

2) I have 3 books that seem to be a translation of unseen warfare, but I can't figure out which is first, second, third.

3) On the ladder of divine ascent, I feel like I am getting in over my head after the first few chapters.  I have assumed that the 30 steps in the ladder are somewhat sequential, so there is no benefit to read about later steps when I am still trying to work on the early steps.  But I just wanted to be sure that is true.

This is the version of Unseen Warfare you want: http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Warfare-Spiritual-Paradise-Lorenzo/dp/0913836524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290192490&sr=1-1

On the Ladder, read it through, it is ideal to read one step a day. Do not expect to perfect the steps while reading through it. Many monks and lay people read the Ladder every year during Lent. I'm sure there are monks that have read it probably 60 times and still find something new in it each time. It is very rich spiritual writing that should be read under guidance and don't expect to understand it all the way the first time you read it. The same goes with the Philokalia and Unseen Warfare. Read them with prayer and guidance.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

In many ways, the Way of a Pilgrim is a good beginner's preface to the Philokalia.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »

In many ways, the Way of a Pilgrim is a good beginner's preface to the Philokalia.

I think books like Way of a Pilgrim and On the Prayer of Jesus are pretty much everything laymen need to know from the Philokalia.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »

I think books like Way of a Pilgrim and On the Prayer of Jesus are pretty much everything laymen need to know from the Philokalia.

Agreed.
Bob L.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate all the good advice.  I have a book with selections of the Philokalia regarding prayer, and I'm relieved to hear that there are some easier books.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate all the good advice.  I have a book with selections of the Philokalia regarding prayer, and I'm relieved to hear that there are some easier books.

I concur that the Way of a Pilgrim is a wonderful book. I would also recommend Bread & Water, Wine & Oil by Fr Meletios Weber and The Inner Kingdom by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. All three of these books are very easy reads and they will give you a great primer on some of the themes contained in the Philokalia.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »

Surprised St. Nikodemus of the Orthodox Church translated for everybody the Venetian Unseen Warfare. I have a podcast discussing this work chapter by chapter by the way, I can recommend it here if anybody wants it. I think I will hear it, didn't know if the book was good or not.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »

I also like Way of the Ascetic by Tito Colliander. Very rich little book, not much more than 100 pages. Good intro the the Orthodox ascetical tradition with many quotes from the  ascetic Fathers.

I'm of the mind that the Philokalia AND The Ladder of Divine Ascent are definitely not for newbies. Maybe after being Orthodox several years. Get some time as an Orthodox under your belt to help understand them, especially The Ladder. Simple books such as those I suggest below are often very rich. Simple doesn't necessarily mean easy!

The inquirers at church always seem to find their way to me and I recommend the following:

The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way, both by Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware)

Way of the Ascetic and Way of the Pilgrim

As well as Year of Grace of Our Lord, to read as one goes through the church year

These are in addition to the other usual ones...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »

I would recommend The Life of Anthony, composed by St. Athanasius. This is perhaps the foundational work on spiritual warfare. It is also valuable for its brevity and readability. You might be able to find it online.

I recently finished a wonderful autobiography entitled, The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios. This is truly one of the best books I've ever read, and contains an abundance of Orthodox wisdom about spiritual warfare.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »

Way of the Ascetics is a masterpiece, definitely recommend it. Nothing wrong with The Philokalia (the works of St. Mark in the first volume are my favorite), and I think there's only one translation in English, though it's incomplete. Here's one of the works of St. Mark from Volume 1:

On Those who Think They Are Made Righteous by Works

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »

I would recommend The Life of Anthony, composed by St. Athanasius. This is perhaps the foundational work on spiritual warfare. It is also valuable for its brevity and readability. You might be able to find it online.

I recently finished a wonderful autobiography entitled, The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios. This is truly one of the best books I've ever read, and contains an abundance of Orthodox wisdom about spiritual warfare.

Selam

Here's life of Anthony in audiobook...for FREE!

http://marialectrix.wordpress.com/completed-religious-books/

Scroll down, also make sure to download the lectures by Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, the epistles of Saint Ignatius, and the epistle of Clement ! Gebre, I will note down that book you said on Elder Paisius sounds good.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Bob L.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »

Selam

Thanks for that advice and the advice of everyone else.  Now I will have to read all those books.

Also, I liked a book called "Dragon's Wine and Angel's Bread" that was based on Evagrius.  I think Evagrius ideas would help me but I don't think I would be able to understand them in their raw form without some very good commentary.  Any suggestions?
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »

Ditto

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: