OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:37:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inquiry  (Read 635 times) Average Rating: 0
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« on: November 21, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »

Hello, all!

I have been studying as much as I can on the Orthodox faith for some time. Reading articles, watching videos, ordering books... I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit. If I were to seek to become a convert, what should I expect in the learning period?

Thank you for any help  Grin

~peacenprayer

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »

I believe it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and parish to parish.

As I am a cradle Orthodox I can't really say, and will leave the answering to those who have been through it.

...but, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum (...and to Orthodoxy!)

Welcome!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:37:39 AM »

I'm coming up on my first Chrismation anniversary this week, so my catechism process is still quite fresh in my mind.  Basically we met once a week and worked through a wonderful book called "The Mystery of Faith" by Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev, using it as a way to communicate the basics of Orthodoxy as well as a jumping-off point for other topics our priest wanted to cover.  It was very informal, conversational and paced to the needs of the inquirers.  I think it ended up being around 9 months of this before we were actually chrismated.  But it went by very fast!

I'm sure it's different from place to place, but I'd imagine this to be fairly typical.  We'd throw on a pot of tea, cover what needed to be covered and had some great conversations.  I encourage you to embark on this journey!
Orthophoria

Faith: Orthodox - Newly Illumined
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »

Hello, all!

I have been studying as much as I can on the Orthodox faith for some time. Reading articles, watching videos, ordering books... I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit. If I were to seek to become a convert, what should I expect in the learning period?

Thank you for any help  Grin

~peacenprayer

Peacenprayer,

First - welcome to the Forum!  I am currently a catechumen looking forward to my Chrismation in a month, so I am still going through the process.  Other than regularly attending an inquirer's class, you will want to attend as many liturgies/services as you can.  I found out that books are great for learning the what's and the why's of the faith, but Orthodoxy is truly a 'living' faith which can only really be appreciated in the context of shared communal worship.  My parish is becoming a family to me, and since it is rather small, I am discovering just how much people rely on each other here.

My best advice (if you haven't done so already) is to seek out a parish close to you, contact the priest, maybe set up a meeting with him to discuss what is required for potential converts in that jurisdiction, and start attending divine liturgies.

May God bless you and guide your steps!

In Christ,
Marcus
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »

Welcome!

It would different from place to place and person to person:when I did it, the priest asertained how much I had learned from books, how much fine tuning was needed, and of course attendance at the Divine Liturgy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »

Thank you all very much! Grin It's good to have a general idea of what to expect. This would be something entirely new to me, so I'm a little nervous to move forward.

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »

Thank you all very much! Grin It's good to have a general idea of what to expect. This would be something entirely new to me, so I'm a little nervous to move forward.

Welcome, Peacenprayer. Are you currently visiting an Orthodox parish? When you do, just let the priest know that you are inquiring, and he will probably give you better advice than we can.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

Move forward with boldness, but don't be in a hurry!
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »

Move forward with boldness, but don't be in a hurry!

Agreed. We've had people who have attended our church for years before being chrismated. We referred to them affectionately as "the oldest living catechumens."
It took me almost a year.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: