OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:39:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dec. 2: New on A conservative site for peace  (Read 1035 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: December 02, 2002, 01:01:37 PM »

Three articles: the one from a hardline Orthodox, Fr Justin Popovich, repeating the charge that Catholicism is the oldest Protestant church, and two from Catholics, a string of pro-Pope quotations from Catholic Dave Brown related to Popes who are Orthodox saints and a posting from the famous Archimandrite Serge (Keleher). The three are grouped together in the scrolling headlines.

Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 02:59:21 PM »

Dear Serge,

OK I read the Fr. Justin (Popovich) article. What is a potential Western convert to Orthodoxy supposed to think of the following?

Now that the "gleischaltung" of Christianity with humanism has been accomplished, some in Europe are seeking a return to the God-Man Christ. However, the cries of individuals in the Protestant world—"Zuruck zum Jesus! Back to Jesus!"—are empty cries in the dark night of humanistic Christianity, which has abandoned the values and the measures of God-Man and is now suffocating in desperation and impotence. While from the depths of centuries past reverberate the bitter words of the melancholic prophet of God, Jeremiah: "Accursed is the man who puts his confidence in man!..."

or this one:

But in the West? They neither know the Church, nor the path, nor the way out of the hopelessness; all is sunk in soul-losing idolatry, in love of pleasure, love of self, and love of lust. Hence in Europe we see the renaissance of polytheism. The "False Christs," false gods that have flooded Europe and are exported from it to all the marketplaces of the world, have for their main assignment the killing of the soul in man—that unique treasure of man in all the worlds, and in that way make impossible the very possibility of a genuine society.

What kind of encouragement is that? Don’t you think that comes close to saying “ you are western, thusly no matter what you do you are lost so don’t bother?”

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Josaphat

What's the deal with Llamas?

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:47:01 AM »

In response to Archimandrite Serge's post:

It may be true that the Orthodx Church is not in conflict with the Catholic (i.e. Church that has its head in Rome) Church, but it is definately not acting in a "Catholic" (i.e. Universal) way.  The only people the Orthodox Church is in Communion with are Churches that are of the Greek Orthodox tradition, or have their roots from Byzantium/Constantinople.  
I guess that he is not claiming this is the case, but I would just like to point out that this is what I think.

Josaphat
Tags: roman catholic 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: