OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:39:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any scotch or whiskey fans?  (Read 2198 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: November 19, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »

I just started getting into scotch lately and I love it! Contrary to popular practice, I jumped right into the single malts. I got Aberlour 12 and Highland Park 12. I tend to prefer the peatiness/smokiness of the HP over the Aberlour, but I enjoy them both. How bout the rest of you?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »

If someone offered me a fine scotch I would drink it, but generally I think it tastes like anchovies steeped in diesel fuel.  Bourbon on the other hand...  Give me a glass of Eagle Rare, Maker's Mark, or even good old Evan Williams (more alcohol, same taste, and better price than Jack Daniels) and I'm a happy guy. 
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:11 AM »

If someone offered me a fine scotch I would drink it, but generally I think it tastes like anchovies steeped in diesel fuel.  Bourbon on the other hand...  Give me a glass of Eagle Rare, Maker's Mark, or even good old Evan Williams (more alcohol, same taste, and better price than Jack Daniels) and I'm a happy guy. 

I did a Bourbon "flight" a couple of weeks ago.  Not really a fan of bourbon/scotch/whisky, but I think an Eagle Rare was one of the three.  Two of the three (the Eagle being one of those two) really impressed me.  Just SO smooooooth.....

But I'm more into wine and beer....
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »

If someone offered me a fine scotch I would drink it, but generally I think it tastes like anchovies steeped in diesel fuel. 

that's quite the discerning palate you have there!  Cheesy
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »

A nice crisp coca-cola. Heavy on the peatiness/smokiness gaseous water texture, acidic aftertast with hint of sugar. Had a very good one from some of those small little collector's bottles they sell in dollar shops the other day, highly recommend.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:39:51 AM »

I'm partial to Jack, got a bottle of Pendelton Whisky for my birthday, expect a taste during the NFR in December...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:20:19 AM »

"You're sweeter, stronger, decenter, you're spunkier than tay! O, whiskey you're me darlin' drunk or sober!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yPIC-o1O3k

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:34:02 AM »

I used to not drink anything. I don't like the taste of alcohol itself. Then I went to meet father's side of family in Portugal. "Do you drink?" is not part of the local idioms. They simply pour wine into huge glasses in every meal. When my father's cousin took me on a tour trip to Oporto guess which were the touristic points he showed me... all the wine producers in town, who, by the way, *are* organized and prepared to receive tour groups with tour guides and all and where you can taste just about every kind of wine ever produced by man.

After this experience I learned, I wouldn't say like, but to drink wine. I may enjoy one glass, but that's all.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Bob L.

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »

Try a blind taste test between a single malt and a blended.  See if you can tell the difference.  When I tried that test I was surprised that I could barely distinguish bourbon from scotch and sometimes I couldn't distinguish tequila from scotch.  I bet you definitely can't tell the difference between single malts.  Save your money and give up drinking.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

Try a blind taste test between a single malt and a blended.  See if you can tell the difference.  When I tried that test I was surprised that I could barely distinguish bourbon from scotch and sometimes I couldn't distinguish tequila from scotch.  I bet you definitely can't tell the difference between single malts.  Save your money and give up drinking.

I've done it and "passed" with flying colors.  No offense, but if you can't distinguish tequila, even the high end stuff, from a single malt, you probably shouldn't be drinking the latter in the first place because you simply won't enjoy it.

I've always been a fan of Glen Morangie, preferably 15 year.  My sister brought me back a bottle of 20 year Powers from Ireland a few years ago, the stuff they don't export.  It was delicious and smooth and had a wonderful peach aftertone.  I saved that last half shot in that bottle for the longest time because I didn't want to see it go.  I finally finished it off when we moved into our new house as I thought that was an apt occasion.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »

When I drink Scotch, I just stick to Chivas Regal. And I must annoy Scottish people, because I drink it on the rocks.

Now when I drink Bourbon, I drink Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It is much better tasting than the regular Wild Turkey (which is only good for mixed drinks, IMO).  My cousin was about to try and mix my Rare Breed with Coke one time and I was like, "I don't think so" and got out the cheap stuff for him Wink

I like Basil Hayden bourbon as well, but it's too expensive for me to buy regularly. In fact, I have cut back a lot on my whiskey consumption in general to about once a week *, usually just drinking beer the rest of the time. Probably better for my liver anyway.

(* I realize to a non-drinker that will still seem like a lot, but I challenge you to only drink your Diet Cokes once a week mwahahaha).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:36:14 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »

Basil Hayden is good.  I got a bottle of Booker's for my birthday which I still haven't opened.  I like Knob Creek and Maker's Mark as well.  Dickel's is actually pretty good too.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »

When I drink Scotch, I just stick to Chivas Regal. And I must annoy Scottish people, because I drink it on the rocks.

It's not that offensive.  What's more offensive is just downing a wee dram rather than sipping it!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
AMM
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

Putting ice in Scotch (at least single malt), is like dipping good sushi in soy sauce.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

If you like Single Malt you HAVE to try Macallan or Balvenie (try of any variety but the 15 year balvenie, and the 12 year Macallan because they're excellent and fairly inexpensive)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »

If someone offered me a fine scotch I would drink it, but generally I think it tastes like anchovies steeped in diesel fuel. 

That is because he must have gotten into his dad's supply of Lagavulin at some time.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »

Basil Hayden is good.  I got a bottle of Booker's for my birthday which I still haven't opened.  I like Knob Creek and Maker's Mark as well.  Dickel's is actually pretty good too.

Bookers the THE stuff.  Fuel grade Jim Beam.  I love it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »

I *used* to be a fan. But, unfortunately, as some of you know... I can't handle it, hard liquor is too addictive for me. I haven't had a drop since Sept. 24.

Love never fails.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

I *used* to be a fan. But, unfortunately, as some of you know... I can't handle it, hard liquor is too addictive for me. I haven't had a drop since Sept. 24.

Good for you!

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »

I enjoy a glass of Glenlivet when I can afford it.  For whiskey I prefer Jameson, and for bourbon Maker's Mark.  I've never gotten around to trying a rye...

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »

That is because he must have gotten into his dad's supply of Lagavulin at some time.

Laphroaig.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »

too phenolic.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »

Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin. In that order. Under 20 years. Alas, not cheap. If no single malt, I go for Johnnie Walker black or green. Failing that, Maker's Mark bourbon. Then there's brandy and cognac--E&J VSOP, Corvoissier, and B&B. I also like Laird's apple jack. That's the extent of my hard liquor drinking, which also is not very often.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »

I did this test last night. I had a glass of Chivas and I found it to be severely lacking in quality and I found it to be slightly bitter in the mouth. Also the finish was not nearly as satisfying as the single malts i've tried.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

Laphroaig.

That explains it!  Cheesy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »

nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:48:10 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »

Bushmill's.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »

I've done it and "passed" with flying colors.  No offense, but if you can't distinguish tequila, even the high end stuff, from a single malt, you probably shouldn't be drinking the latter in the first place because you simply won't enjoy it.

I've always been a fan of Glen Morangie, preferably 15 year.  My sister brought me back a bottle of 20 year Powers from Ireland a few years ago, the stuff they don't export.  It was delicious and smooth and had a wonderful peach aftertone.  I saved that last half shot in that bottle for the longest time because I didn't want to see it go.  I finally finished it off when we moved into our new house as I thought that was an apt occasion.

Wow, I will have to try some Irish Whiskey sometime. that sounds amazing. Of course, i'm sure it won't be near as good as your Powers... Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »

Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin. In that order. Under 20 years. Alas, not cheap. If no single malt, I go for Johnnie Walker black or green. Failing that, Maker's Mark bourbon. Then there's brandy and cognac--E&J VSOP, Corvoissier, and B&B. I also like Laird's apple jack. That's the extent of my hard liquor drinking, which also is not very often.

This guy knows his whiskey!  Kiss
AMM
Archon

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »

Bushmill's.

I have to second that actually.  Black Bush is nice, but even the regular old run of the mill Bushmill's is nice.  Redbreast and Green Spot are also excellent Irish whiskey's.  Even Jameson's can hit the spot.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

Well done.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »

I've never enjoyed Scotch...there was something about it that has never appealed to me. I do prefer Irish whiskey or Canadian whiskey to Scotch.

Now, bourbon...that's a different story. Of all the bourbons I've enjoyed (and I never found one I didn't like!) Maker's Mark is my favorite and still is!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:20 PM »

I used to not drink anything. I don't like the taste of alcohol itself. Then I went to meet father's side of family in Portugal. "Do you drink?" is not part of the local idioms. They simply pour wine into huge glasses in every meal. When my father's cousin took me on a tour trip to Oporto guess which were the touristic points he showed me... all the wine producers in town, who, by the way, *are* organized and prepared to receive tour groups with tour guides and all and where you can taste just about every kind of wine ever produced by man.

After this experience I learned, I wouldn't say like, but to drink wine. I may enjoy one glass, but that's all.
Fabio, do you not drink cachaça?  I bet your father's family offered you bagaço.  That's slightly stronger than the wine they offered. Grin

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »

Johnnie Walker (red label) on the rocks ... too bad top shelf prices are $8 - $10 a drink in my part of the world.

Jim Beam (or Jack) with coke ... a treat to be enjoyed once in a while....
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 03:39:15 AM »

Bushmill's.

Bleh... Loyalist goat urine.  If it's the craythur you're after, 'tis Jameson that goes down hummin' a lullaby.

Bourbon?  Basil Haydon, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and then for something a little cheaper, yet still aged 12 years and darn good, try Elijah Craig.     

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

The Macallan - warm and smooth as silk.  Wink

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »

Gotta agree w/Gabriel, tho not b/c of the, um, political? ramificaitons -- Bushmills just burns w/low flavor for me.  Like Jameson.  Gentleman Jack's the fav, tho.

Bourbon: Jimmy Beam.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »

It's just the cheap scotch that tastes that way...the problem is that for scotch to be good, you're going to have to pay upwards of $150 a fifth...and I don't know about you, but I'm not quite that rich, especially since with whiskey that smooth, it's easy to polish off a fifth in an evening.

But with that said, I have yet to find any scotch, no matter how old, single malt or blended, that is as good as a nice tall glass of Makers Mark.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

I was going to get Macallan 12 but then I found out it was from the Speyside region, and I was told not to venture there for my first dram.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

It's just the cheap scotch that tastes that way...the problem is that for scotch to be good, you're going to have to pay upwards of $150 a fifth...and I don't know about you, but I'm not quite that rich, especially since with whiskey that smooth, it's easy to polish off a fifth in an evening.

But with that said, I have yet to find any scotch, no matter how old, single malt or blended, that is as good as a nice tall glass of Makers Mark.

I just checked out the review for Makers Mark on forpeatsake.com and this one guy gave it a 50/100 saying, "It is alot cheaper to drink unleaded gasoline"

Oh well, to each his own I suppose!  Cheesy

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »

I just checked out the review for Makers Mark on forpeatsake.com and this one guy gave it a 50/100 saying, "It is alot cheaper to drink unleaded gasoline"

Oh well, to each his own I suppose!  Cheesy

He also said he needed water as a chaser right away...maybe when he reaches puberty he'll change his mind. Wink

But seriously, on a Scotch Drinking blog it doesn't surprise me that many don't understand the finer qualities of Bourbon...that aftertaste that particular reviewer complains about is one of the things that makes Makers Mark such a great whiskey. Of course, I can't appreciate the flavour of moss in my drink, so that's probably why I don't appreciate most scotch...unless it's of such a ridiculously high level of quality that any alcohol made to those standards would be good.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »

I was going to get Macallan 12 but then I found out it was from the Speyside region, and I was told not to venture there for my first dram.
I don't know much about Scottish regions, but if you're going to have Macallan, try the 18.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »

I don't know much about Scottish regions, but if you're going to have Macallan, try the 18.

whew, ok now you're talking out of my league now!  Roll Eyes
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »

Wait a minute, it just dawned upon me; Agia is a woman who enjoys scotch?? That is indeed a rare find!  Grin
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

Indeed, I do.   Smiley

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »

Crown Royal Black...or Reserve, Tangle Ridge

Canadians do make some good whiskies...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: