OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Athens in clashes - Muslims protest alleged damage to Koran  (Read 1461 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:38:53 AM »

Muslim protests racked the streets of Athens on Thursday, after allegations that a Greek policeman had ripped pages out of a Koran and stepped on it while in a Syrian-owned shop. Police officials said an investigation into the claims was underway.

From the article:
In response, about 1,000 immigrants, many from Syria, Pakistan and Afghanistan, marched to central Omonia Square, smashing several shop windows and five cars, a police official said.

(...) "We were told by police we will be given the name of the policeman who did this so we can press charges," Elghandour said.

police

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »

They certainly seem awfully grateful that their host country has let them immigrate there.

Clearly, Greece is missing the religious freedom and tolerance that Syria, Pakistan and Afghanistan have. Roll Eyes
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »

What a huge load of crap.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:49 AM »

A policeman allegedly damages a Quran so muslims damage some completely random cars and shops which has nothing to do with the alleged incident.

Now that's logical.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

But, wait a minute.  I keep hearing that the world is full of moderate Muslims who don't believe in this sort of thing.  They stepped in, spoke out, and called for the nonsense to end, I'm sure.  Didn't they?
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »

Any photos? A lot of semites look alike (fake AlQuaida)

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »

Thousands of immigrants, many from Muslim countries, cross into Greece illegally every year seeking a better life in the West. Trapped in legal limbo, most have no jobs, live in squalid conditions and are often arrested for minor crimes.

Isn't illegal immigration a felony?

On May 9, members of a rightist group attacked immigrants in Athens, sending at least three to hospital. Rights groups accuse predominantly Orthodox Christian Greece of not doing enough to protect immigrants.

Yes, no laws on the books about putting the Quran in a toilet (yes, Saudi Arabia et alia have such laws)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

If the incident with the police and the Koran did happen, it is unfortunate. As I recall from what Fr. Daniel Byantoro said, Mohammedans view the Koran in much the same way as Christians view Jesus Christ, as the eternal word of God. In the Mohammedanistic case, the Koran is "incarnate" in a book form, so desecrating it would be like someone defiling the Holy Gifts to our sensibilities. I don't believe in religious provocations as a means of asserting power or authority or as a form of intimidation. It is one thing to make a statement in a Muslim country out of sincere conviction and desire to save and enlighten one's neighbor, a statement or action which may (inevitably) be construed as a malicious provocation even if utterly free from malice. It is quite another, in a supposedly Orthodox Christian country, to deliberately offend the religious sensibilities of non-Orthodox. Such actions, I believe, do a great disservice to our faith, and certainly do our souls little good and do little or nothing to bring people to the knowledge of the truth. The best way to contend with non-Orthodox faiths is to live an Orthodox life, to become saints. If some action is done by non-Orthodox against the faith, the state, or the peace of society, it ought to be stopped and justice ought to be done. But it is very bad form to provoke people. Maybe some were well disposed to Christianity and now think differently. Who wants to join a group of hypocritical bullies? We all have a duty to stand up for our faith, but we must do this in the Orthodox manner.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »

It seems so easy to disturb the peace of the religion of peace.

Antiochian OC N.A.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »

It is quite another, in a supposedly Orthodox Christian country, to deliberately offend the religious sensibilities of non-Orthodox.

St Stephen of Perm chopped down the holy groves of the Komi. Other figures that the Church has glorified have torn down the temples of heathen countries at the same time they brought the word of God. Destroying the holy objects of non-Christians is completely licit.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »

If the incident with the police and the Koran did happen, it is unfortunate. As I recall from what Fr. Daniel Byantoro said, Mohammedans view the Koran in much the same way as Christians view Jesus Christ, as the eternal word of God. In the Mohammedanistic case, the Koran is "incarnate" in a book form, so desecrating it would be like someone defiling the Holy Gifts to our sensibilities.

And if someone did that, would you start rioting causing random damage on whoever's property has the misfortune of being nearest to you at the time? If the Mohammedans want to be offended, that's their right, they can be offended all they like, but it ends there, they don't get to riot. The problem isn't that they're offended because someone hurt their silly book, it may be stupid to be offended for such a trivial reason but to each their own; the problem is that the response is simply unacceptable. In civilized societies you have the right to offend people and you have the right to be offended; you don't have the right to take it any further than words.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:07:54 PM by GiC » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »

It is quite another, in a supposedly Orthodox Christian country, to deliberately offend the religious sensibilities of non-Orthodox.

St Stephen of Perm chopped down the holy groves of the Komi. Other figures that the Church has glorified have torn down the temples of heathen countries at the same time they brought the word of God. Destroying the holy objects of non-Christians is completely licit.

He was St. Stephen, not the police. Context, friend, context. For every example you give of destruction of non-Christian holy objects, I can give you a counter-example of the saints showing tolerance and respect.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »

If the incident with the police and the Koran did happen, it is unfortunate. As I recall from what Fr. Daniel Byantoro said, Mohammedans view the Koran in much the same way as Christians view Jesus Christ, as the eternal word of God. In the Mohammedanistic case, the Koran is "incarnate" in a book form, so desecrating it would be like someone defiling the Holy Gifts to our sensibilities.

And if someone did that, would you start rioting causing random damage on whoever's property has the misfortune of being nearest to you at the time? If the Mohammedans want to be offended, that's their right, they can be offended all they like, but it ends there, they don't get to riot. The problem isn't that they're offended because someone hurt their silly book, it may be stupid to be offended for such a trivial reason but to each their own; the problem is that the response is simply unacceptable. In civilized societies you have the right to offend people and you have the right to be offended; you don't have the right to take it any further than words.

I have never condoned  rioting for any purpose (with the possible exception of the imposition of  heresy, there things get sticky). Rioters can expect to be shot for the preservation of public order. We don't do that in America anymore, preferring to clean up after a riot rather than a public relations debacle.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »

As brother Merle Haggard sings...

If you don't love it, leave it:

Send the rioters back to their country of origin...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:11:24 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »

Well, I can't blame them. Honestly, if I were a simple Muslim with very strong convictions and if someone insulted something I see as holy, then I would react accordingly.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »

Andrew bro (good to see you!) I disagree. Right now in Iraq muslims murdered Assyrians using that American protestant in the news some time ago as an excuse to murder 60 people (2 more people yesterday) They know he has nothing to do with the Chaldean, Syriac Orthodox, or Assyrian Church of the East, but they just wanted an excuse to murder innocent people, pure and simple. They probably can't stand seeing all those Orthodox priests and want to subjugate Greeks again.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:43:30 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

Well, I can't blame them. Honestly, if I were a simple Muslim with very strong convictions and if someone insulted something I see as holy, then I would react accordingly.
Given what I know about the Muslims and self serving gossip, I have grave doubts that it happened.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »

They should have called in the military to show them what brute force looks like.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:49:48 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 02:50:50 AM »

They should have called in the military to show them what brute force looks like.  

They were rioting on account of having been offended; near as I can tell, that's using organized violence to effect political change and last I checked, that's the definition of a revolution. They threw their chips down and committed an act of war against the Greek state, the Greeks should have responded accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:52:17 AM by GiC » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »

Yes, Muslims murder innocent Christians, and yes they react inappropriately whenever they choose to instill a fear of insulting them and so slowly affect the host culture. But I think we need to temper our reactions, especially as Christians. Some of the comments posted here are clearly motivated by hatred.
We mustn't become so extreme in our reaction that we forget that it is Islam that is the problem; the individuals blinded by it are loved by God and in need of salvation. Every time a muslim goes to hell Satan rejoices. Shouldn't we measure our words carefully?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »

They were rioting on account of having been offended; near as I can tell, that's using organized violence to effect political change and last I checked, that's the definition of a revolution. They threw their chips down and committed an act of war against the Greek state, the Greeks should have responded accordingly.
IIRC the UN is trying to pass some declaration on religion. The result would be Muslim countries could continue to oppress non-muslims, and no doubt given Muslims in non-Muslim countries to be "offended."

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

This is precisely why I've stayed out of this discussion; would St. George be condemned now for walking into a pagan temple, praying to the Living God, and effecting the destruction of the idols?  How about those who destroyed the pagan statues in order to turn the Parthenon into a Church?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 11:59:31 AM »

Yes, Muslims murder innocent Christians, and yes they react inappropriately whenever they choose to instill a fear of insulting them and so slowly affect the host culture. But I think we need to temper our reactions, especially as Christians. Some of the comments posted here are clearly motivated by hatred.
We mustn't become so extreme in our reaction that we forget that it is Islam that is the problem; the individuals blinded by it are loved by God and in need of salvation. Every time a muslim goes to hell Satan rejoices. Shouldn't we measure our words carefully?

Motivated by hatred, or a desire for law and order? The Moslems' animalistic reaction was completely unhinged, destroying property that had nothing to do with the perceived crime. If they want to remain in their 12th century clan mentality, they should stay in the Middle East. This is not a hate-filled statement, it is fact.

In the West, where society is governed by laws and people effect change through rational means, we don't (or shouldn't) allow mobs to roam the streets every time they get upset. If a show of force is the only language they can understand, then we should tell them in no uncertain terms not to behave this way.

I imagine there are many saintly Christian emperors who would not have put up with this kind of thing. Indeed, when the Byzantine Empire was attacked by the Moslem hoardes, they fought them till the bitter end. I don't think it's unreasonable to say the same kind of threat is building today.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:11 PM »

Some of the comments posted here are clearly motivated by hatred.

I hope you were not referring to me.  I don't see how you can tell how I supposedly hate Muslims based upon one post.  One of my co-workers, who I also consider to be a good friend, is an Iranian-born Muslim.  We have talked about these issues and she is in the same boat as me.  She lived in Iran during the Iranian Revolution and her family had to flee.  There is nothing pretty about militant Islam and it has to be controlled by force.

BTW, I don't see any hatred of Muslims here?  All that I see if some people saying that the riot should have been squashed by military force.  Do you believe that they should have been left to do as they please?  The problem is great in Great Britain, I'd hate the same thing to happen to Greece because people think we need to be more "tolerant" of their abuses. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:04:29 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

I do hate Moslems...but there are several groups that I at least strongly dislike; in general, I don't advocate military action against any of them. So long as one lives peacefully and does not attempt to advance their ideology through violence against the people and the state, I'm happy to not only tolerate their existence, but defend their right to believe as they see fit. But these people rioted, they used violence to advance their ideology and to attempt to force a political response from the Greek government. They should have been treated like the militant revolutionaries they are, the riots should have been put down by force and the leaders rounded up and shot.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:07:19 PM by GiC » Logged

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

...and the leaders rounded up and shot.

No, I could never go for that. 

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »

Andrew bro (good to see you!) I disagree. Right now in Iraq muslims murdered Assyrians using that American protestant in the news some time ago as an excuse to murder 60 people (2 more people yesterday) They know he has nothing to do with the Chaldean, Syriac Orthodox, or Assyrian Church of the East, but they just wanted an excuse to murder innocent people, pure and simple. They probably can't stand seeing all those Orthodox priests and want to subjugate Greeks again.

I never said that they were right or that I agree with them (quite to the contrary actually). I can just say, it is easy to see how they can get so worked up about it. Many of them come from a world where to insult Islam was considered a capital offense and to witness somebody insulting, then all they know is that punishment must be served. It is very terrible.

Given what I know about the Muslims and self serving gossip, I have grave doubts that it happened.

I wouldn't rule it out.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »

...and the leaders rounded up and shot.

No, I could never go for that. 

I could, as long as it was done in love.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »

I never said that they were right or that I agree with them (quite to the contrary actually). I can just say, it is easy to see how they can get so worked up about it. Many of them come from a world where to insult Islam was considered a capital offense and to witness somebody insulting, then all they know is that punishment must be served. It is very terrible.
Well, they had better get rid of such ideas before they come.

I wouldn't rule it out.
I want to see some facts.

Tags: Athens  Greece  riots  Muslims  dispute  police  protest 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: