OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yogurt, antibiotics and fasting  (Read 3702 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: November 18, 2010, 03:02:02 AM »

My Russian wife had some minor surgery and is now telling me that she needs yogurt while taking antibiotics. 

I have taken antibiotics in the past and never has a doctor told me to eat yogurt.   Is my doctor not telling me something about antibiotics that I should know about? 

If my doctor is telling me to eat yogurt do I need to confess this? 

Mathe 24:36
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:39 AM »

I'm going to guess probably not.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:20 AM »

Is my doctor not telling me something about antibiotics that I should know about?

Antibiotics do not discriminate when it comes to killing off bacteria.  Your intestinal tract contains a great deal of necessary bacteria whose levels can be lowered quite substantially by antibiotics.  A serving or two of yoghurt can help stabilise these levels, which helps to prevent certain gastrointestinal issues.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:35:58 AM »

And, while not discriminating against the good and bad bacteria, antibiotics upset the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina, causing nasty, burning, itching, painful yeast infections.  My doctor always urges me to eat yoghurt or drink milk containing live cultures such as Lactobacillus acidophilus.  I eat an abundance of Greek or Bulgarian plain yoghurt daily while on antibiotics, and for several days afterward.  So, that might be another reason your wife's doctor is prescribing yoghurt.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:44:45 AM by Agia Marina » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:16 AM »

The reason why you haven't heard much about it is because you are a man. The risks for a woman on antibiotics are entirely different than for a man. I won't go into it further, but trust me, a woman should ALWAYS go on a probiotic when she is taking antibiotics. You can buy a kyo-dophilus supplement that is dairy free and use that in lieu of yogurt as well(I tend to use both yogurt and a probiotic supplement when I am on antibiotics).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:43:39 AM by Quinault » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:25:35 AM »

Plus, I have always been taught that fasting rules cannot overrule medical orders. If during fast, a condition arises that leads a doctor to order us to eat something, we must obey. The discipline and suffering the condition imposes plus the humility in obeying the doctor guarantee that we are still in the spirit of the fasting rules.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »

There are also acidophillous tablets that are vegan to take instead of yogurt. They may not be as effective, I don't know. Homemade raw sauerkraut and kimchi also have some of the same beneficial bacteria, particularly the juice or brine used for fermentation. However, it also can be high in sodium.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »

While I agree that there are likely vegan options, it's my understanding that one facet of the fast is to encourage us to simplify our eating habits - not cause us extra complications to search out additives and supplements that we wouldn't normally buy. These items can often be more expensive than ordinary options. That breaks the spirit of encouraging almsgiving. We do the best we can.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »

While I agree that there are likely vegan options, it's my understanding that one facet of the fast is to encourage us to simplify our eating habits - not cause us extra complications to search out additives and supplements that we wouldn't normally buy. These items can often be more expensive than ordinary options. That breaks the spirit of encouraging almsgiving. We do the best we can.

I find this puzzling. Bacterial supplements can be purchased cheaply, more cheaply than yogurt. Cabbage is also very cheap. I'm not suggesting that people are wrong to eat yogurt for medical reasons. I am simply stating that there are other alternatives for those who might wish for them. How does that mess with almsgiving or the spirit of the fast?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »

My Russian wife had some minor surgery and is now telling me that she needs yogurt while taking antibiotics. 

I have taken antibiotics in the past and never has a doctor told me to eat yogurt.   Is my doctor not telling me something about antibiotics that I should know about? 

yes and yes.. antibiotics don't just kill the harmful bacteria but kill the good bugs too. Our digestive track is chock full of good bacteria that perform essential roles in our ability to digest food. Yogurt can replace much of the lost good bacteria, especially if it is "farm fresh" or at least organic and not overly processed.

it's not just what you eat but what you can digest that determines health.

And yes, going off the fast should be talked over with your Priest.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »

I find this puzzling. Bacterial supplements can be purchased cheaply, more cheaply than yogurt. Cabbage is also very cheap. I'm not suggesting that people are wrong to eat yogurt for medical reasons. I am simply stating that there are other alternatives for those who might wish for them. How does that mess with almsgiving or the spirit of the fast?

I don't know where you shop, but I made my wife stop buying the cheap acidophalous supplement she was buying and convinced her to eat yogurt instead; a month's supply of the latter cost a week's supply of the former.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »

I've heard recently that antibiotics now kill hardly nothing.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 03:57:31 PM »

Because of *cough* evolution *cough*.  laugh  *stares at another thread*

Antibiotics are still very effective when used against strains where resistance is rare.  Overuse in the past has led to some issues now though, and it isn't prescribed unless it is truly necessary.  When I was younger, an ear infection always meant antibiotics... now rarely.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:59:00 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »

Does low fat/non-fat yogurt work as well as regular yogurt?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

Does low fat/non-fat yogurt work as well as regular yogurt?

Shouldn't matter.  What is important is live/active cultures.

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »

What does cabbage contain that kills yeast?

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

Not all yogurt brands and similar substances contain the same number if friendly bacteria. For example, Kefir (a smoothie type, dairy based drink) contains 10 of good bacteria. As for fasting, one could use plain yogurt and Kefir instead of the flavored types that are more palatable to the Western tastes if you must insist on sacrificing something. 

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »

Its not the cabbage by itself.  It is the fermented cabbage that can aid in adding good bacteria to the digestive tract.  That is why whoever posted that note indicated that drinking the brine would work well because that is the fermentation medium.

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »

Its not the cabbage by itself.  It is the fermented cabbage that can aid in adding good bacteria to the digestive tract.  That is why whoever posted that note indicated that drinking the brine would work well because that is the fermentation medium.
Thank you!  I actually found several websites that have a host of alternative foods that deal with yeast.  Sauerkraut  and cucumber pickles are just two.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »

Thank you!  I actually found several websites that have a host of alternative foods that deal with yeast.  Sauerkraut  and cucumber pickles are just two.

Be careful though as you move forward in experimenting what works best for you.  Some digestive tracts are not aided by brine and so you may need to take more of it to be therapeutic than your stomach will allow you to take comfortably or healthily.  I too keep strict fast and so I tried the various brine and vegetable routs but I finally had to give up and go back to the dairy sources.  So in fasting periods I seek out the least "fun" but effective source and that's that  Smiley

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »

Brine is very high in sodium and may be proscribed by a host of other health concerns.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Brine is very high in sodium and may be proscribed by a host of other health concerns.

Lower sodium brines are then very heavily spiced and that can be corrosive to the system too.  Modern refrigeration has really been a boon to us because it made the heavy pickling of foods a thing of the past.  I still extol the virtues of dairy and the mercy of the Church.

M.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

Lower sodium brines are then very heavily spiced and that can be corrosive to the system too.  Modern refrigeration has really been a boon to us because it made the heavy pickling of foods a thing of the past.  I still extol the virtues of dairy and the mercy of the Church.

M.
Agreed.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »

Be careful though as you move forward in experimenting what works best for you.  Some digestive tracts are not aided by brine and so you may need to take more of it to be therapeutic than your stomach will allow you to take comfortably or healthily.  I too keep strict fast and so I tried the various brine and vegetable routs but I finally had to give up and go back to the dairy sources.  So in fasting periods I seek out the least "fun" but effective source and that's that  Smiley
Fortunately, I'm used to eating heavily brined veggies like peppers, green tomatoes,  and onions.  A serving a day won't hurt.  Thanks for the info.   

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

Because of *cough* evolution *cough*.  laugh  *stares at another thread*

*ehem*, you mean adaptation  Wink Grin
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »

M.

This last month I read an article in the Journal of the Weston Price Foundation that a study has found that people who consume full fat dairy have a LOWER incidence of heart disease than those who don't. I also read elsewhere that the whey in dairy lowers blood pressure.

Here is a good article: http://www.realmilk.com/healthbenefits.html

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »

^^

If people insist on eating dairy, they should almost always go for whole fat. 

If people want to lose weight, feel better, sleep better, have more energy:

1) Eat lean meat

2) Consume minimal dairy and only use whole fat products when you do consume it

3) No sugar or grains

4) Cut out most fruit and replace it with vegetables.

But this is off topic...  Sorry!  :-)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:10:38 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 10:11:52 PM »

^^

If people insist on eating dairy, they should almost always go for whole fat.  

If people want to lose weight, feel better, sleep better, have more energy:

1) Eat lean meat

2) Consume minimal dairy and only use whole fat products when you do consume it

3) No sugar or grains

4) Cut out most fruit and replace it with vegetables.

But this is off topic...  Sorry!  :-)

Dairy is extraordinarily good for you if you take it Raw from grass fed cows. It is not so good if you take it pasteurized and homogenized.

I think the trick with meat is not so much lean or fat but how it was raised. If the the cow was forced fed grains and shot up with anti-biotics and never let out to pasture, the meat will not have it's natural healthful qualities. The fat ratios ( omega 3 vs omega 6) will be all lopsided and it will be lacking in nutrients. Natural meat, grass fed, mimics what our hunter gatherer ancestors ate and should be a big part of our diets.

Right, more veggies, less fruit if you want to lose weight. If you just want to be healthy, you can eat fruits if the other parts of your diet are natural. . Avoid all grains and sugar.

www.thepaleodiet.com
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:14:45 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: